Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I'll Never Forget the Time the Black Lips Puked On Me at the Funhouse

Posted by on Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

This news of perhaps losing the Funhouse to another crappy Seattle condo development is making me sad beyond words.

There aren't many other punk rock venues in this city that give the little guys—the up and coming bands—a fair chance. There will definitely NEVER be another punk bar where a band (a then fairly unknown Black Lips) can puke on me—all over the front of my shirt and pants—and I won't even care because the show is so unbelievable. I always had too much fun at Funhouse. Fuck you forever, seven-story mixed-use development planners.

Read Proprietor Brian Foss's statement on the potential development.

What's your all-time favorite Funhouse show?

Watch me get puked on at the 2:17 mark...

yos-wa 1
i think when we played there and were pretty sure kennedy shit his pants (he said it was just a fart, but i'm still not convinced) was my favorite moment at the funhouse. and when matty mcfly started throwing toilet paper at him, it was just the icing on the cake.
Posted by yos-wa on March 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM · Report this
That one time the Coconut Coolouts played.
Posted by Bannanas! on March 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM · Report this
Megan Seling 3
Seeing Goblin Cock there was hilarious and weird and awesome. It was SO LOUD and the band had strobe lights going for the whole show and it was making me feel dizzy so I had to go outside for a couple minutes to keep myself from passing out or having a seizure or something.
Posted by Megan Seling on March 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 4
Coachwhips playing in the back corner. They started right after the previous band's set, and no one had really noticed them setting up back there, then BLAM. Also, Thee Oh Sees on the basketball court.
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on March 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM · Report this
no one favorite moment, but I've seen Dead Moon/ Pierced Arrows there too many times to count.
Also, the random basketball court was nice.
Posted by Conrad McMasters on March 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
I think Partman Parthorse played there once (they don't play that many shows), but I could be wrong. I think the singer took off his clothes.

Anyone remember that?
Posted by Pest Control on March 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
Pierced Arrows, Spits, too many others to recall them all. Thanks Brian and everyone else. I'm hoping it moves or some other incarnation takes its place. Reminded me a little of the Lake Union Pub (and all the other awesome and kinda shitty great punk bars).
Posted by carnivorous chicken on March 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Playing a show (solo, acoustic guitar through amp) with Scout Niblett, Afrirampo, and Federation X. I was totally outgunned and overwhelmed, but it was a freaking great night of music that I was honored to be part of. Many thanks to Brian for being so open-minded; I really hope this is not the end.
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on March 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM · Report this
My band played a show there one and some jackass dove onto the table that used to be by the stage. That's probably why it's no longer there. He was probably a condo developer trying to get an early start on demolition.

Here's a thought: rock condos. The basement is a venue and everyone above it is stoked.
Posted by thedonproject http://www.thedonproject.com on March 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 10
@9: Nice!
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on March 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM · Report this
Nothing beats playing drunken games of horse on the basketball court in the summertime with a bunch of crust punks.
Posted by patrick#2 on March 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM · Report this
In like '04 or '05 I was at a Hunches show and Hart spilled some dude's beer. He got upset and there was a tussle. Hart left out the back and the dude was standing in front. All of a sudden a Hart-shaped blur comes running around the building and tackles the guy. hilarious. we pulled them apart and nobody got hurt, which is always good.

A few years before that, when it was still Zak's, some excitable kid was 'moshing' and kept elbowing my wife and friend in their heads. I grabbed the guy by the throat and said something like "That's enough, Buttercup." My friends who were with me still think it was the funniest thing ever.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on March 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
stinkbug 13
@9: "The basement is a venue and everyone above it is stoked."

Why not have an enclosed courtyard in the middle of the building and have bands play non-stop there? Free music for all units facing the courtyard!
Posted by stinkbug on March 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Though technically not a show, it was very entertaining I'm sure.
Posted by patrick#2 on March 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 15
The "secret" Spits show. Or the time I went to see Partman Parthorse but ended up just walking in, puking after five minutes and stumbling into a cab.
Posted by icouldliveinhope on March 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
I went there for a beer (not a show) one time mid day during the summer of 2010, and I swear to fucking god Andrew Woods (dead singer from Mother Love Bone). Some young dude straight outta 1991, long hair, grunge fashion perfectly replicated, who looked just like the OD'd singer came over and talked to me and my friend. It was weird. I think he was a ghost.
Posted by paulus22 on March 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM · Report this
The Lights final show was EPIC
Posted by man the guns on March 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this
I saw Blowfly there. Honestly it wasn't the best live show, but he has an undeniable charm.
Posted by slappy on March 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM · Report this
any time Bloodhag played there.
also, the time I was drinking on the back patio and this guy told me about being in a strip club in Florida and going to take a leak and Macho Man Randy Savage struts up and uses the urinal next to him, feather boa and all.
also, seeing this one tiny chick (who I'm sure was blacked out) get naked and freak-dance to Lesbian, of all bands.
also, seeing Vulgarizer play and having the lead singer (who had a foot cast on cause he broke his ankle or something) challenge the audience to rush the stage and get past him for free merch.
also, being part of a gang of drunk clowns who performed an impromptu vaudeville variety show out on the basketball court one night.
Posted by Rev. Andrew on March 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM · Report this
also, any time Evangelist played there, because Brian and the rest of the staff were always, always totally awesome to us.
Posted by Rev. Andrew on March 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM · Report this
the duster 21
I went there a few times when it was Zak's before I was 21. It was pretty awesome for an 18 year old to see barroom brawls where people got pint glasses broken on their faces.
Posted by the duster on March 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM · Report this
lindsey 22
Just one favorite? Impossible to pick. The Spits secret show was pretty amazing. And so was The Freeze a few years back. And that time I don't remember falling on Knuck during the Dragstrip Riot set on St. Patty's a few years back and I apparently sang all of "I'm On A Boat" at the top of my lungs on the ride home. Or that time Beau 86'ed some bitch and her friend for pouring drinks on my head at a Success! show. And every show hanging out with Ben Critical drinking whiskey diets and talking shit on pretty much everyone (RIP, my friend). Or that time Evan got punched in the face and bled all over the place and Mickey immediately handed Caroline and me fresh whiskeys, extra strong. And every time I played at that place was fucking amazing too.

Even though I'm not living in Seattle anymore, I would be absolutely crushed if this place got... well, crushed. This is a staple of the underground scene and we can't let it die!
Posted by lindsey on March 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM · Report this
NaFun 23
The one and only time I went to The Funhouse was to see Old Man Smithers. I don't remember who the band that opened for them was. During Old Man Smithers' set the singer of the opening band ripped the (new) swinging doors off of the bathrooms and proceeded to prop them against the stage and smashed them with some enthusiastic elbow drops. He ended up bleeding profusely because of the broken beer bottles that were underneath the doors. It was awesome.
Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on March 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM · Report this
The first show I ever played in Seattle was at the Funhouse and the first outing for Steel Tigers. Brian was so supportive after that it really gave us a shot of adrenaline.

That and the last Bloodhag show.
Posted by lumpenprole on March 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM · Report this
r.chops 25
the last night it was zaks.
blood, beer, and urine.
people doing the worm on the floor in broken glass.
Posted by r.chops on March 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM · Report this
diminished 26
watching the spits for the first time. every song was their 'last song'. lighting the drum kit on fire. throwing m80s at people. watching some kid get his ear lobe blown off and not give a shit. a thousand other dirty shitty punk rock nights that make up a lifetime of good times..
Posted by diminished on March 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM · Report this
I like the time some guy got stabbed in the neck there, leading my pal Jeremy Richards to ask "what definition of 'fun' are they using, exactly?"

Posted by Glaucon on March 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM · Report this
Andrew Chapman 28
The Keeper playing with Darkest of the Hillisde Thickets and Bloodhag, that was a very fun/killer show. Lots of awesome fun.
Posted by Andrew Chapman http://princessismetal.blogspot.com/ on March 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Adam Superfan 29
KEELHAUL at Zak's, around 2002
Posted by Adam Superfan http://facebook.com/hateyouhumans on March 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM · Report this
I went there for my honeymoon in April of 2010.

We had a pitcher of blue moon and listened to 3 bands (whose names I never knew) totally rock out.

Me and me new wife seemed to be the only ones in the place other than the band members.
Posted by Lack Thereof on March 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM · Report this
Besides seeing the smiling Brian Foss sitting at his favorite spot at the bar, too many great ones to count. Of course the local legends never cease to amaze, The Spits used it as their own personal party palace for most of a decade. Invisible Eyes---BLANK-ITS----The Briefs----Girl Trouble----Scuzztones. The terrific touring bands Brian always hooks up and M.O.T.O----Dead Moon----Personal and the Pizzas---No Bunny----Meatmen----Human Eye---- Paul Collins/Peter Case most recently.They all knew/know where to have a good time.
Posted by tthousand66 on March 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 32
Is someone going to print out this comments thread and bring it to the planning meeting?
Posted by icouldliveinhope on March 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM · Report this
Travis Ritter getting robbed of his rightful crown at Pizzafest '11; the singer for the Cormans dedicating a song to me and my girl for being "the gross couple up front who can't stop groping each other", that two-man freak show that let you staple-gun dollar bills to their torsos; my wang getting doused in beer when I stuck it through a knothole in one of the picnic tables; Coconut Coolouts, BlöödHag, Tit Pig.
Posted by paulus on March 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM · Report this
dan10things 34
Many epic Spits shows. The Freeze! Peelander-Z! Blowfly! Bloodhag! The Avengers were great, I got a bloody nose in the pit and then got to hang out with Penelope Houston after. The Sasshole girls depantsed me in the parking lot when I was trying to interview them. Oh, and when I was talked into being Santa for the first Throttle Rockets rollerby Xmas party there, I was then talked into wrestling Miss Claus in mashed potatoes and gravy... outside, in a big swimming pool, in mid-December when it was freezing cold. But so fun! Hope the fun continues!
Posted by dan10things http://10thingszine.blogspot.com on March 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM · Report this
Can't remember if it was Zak's or Funhouse but saw a couple killer shows there circa 2002-2003 when I first moved to Seattle: Spits, The Gloryholes, the Hunches, and I think Countdown to Armageddon there, too. Great divey joint, always that great combo of beer/puke/nicotine/sweat/dried blood.
Posted by Michael Alan Goldberg on March 13, 2012 at 6:16 PM · Report this
PunkLife 2004 and 2005!
Posted by madialuba on March 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM · Report this
The one that's coming up when they tear the piece of shit down.
Posted by BetarayBilly2 on March 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM · Report this
Every scene that doesn't wanna grow up needs a clubhouse and the Funhouse was that clubhouse for me during the years I lived in Seattle. Granted, I haven't been in Seattle in too long (I still miss it!) but that bar felt like the zeitgeist of such wild and wildly fun scene: The Spits, the Popular Shapes ("Here Come the Pancakes"!), the Girls, Kelly O. punked out in fur and heels even when bands like The Black Lips were puking on her, Jay Reatard, watching the Space Needle through blurry eyes on the back patio, seeing Brian Foss's intrepid support for the little dude grow into a radio show on KEXP, loving how close tourist Seattle and drunk punk Seattle could get in that one space...too many other awesome things that I wish I could remember but beers long since blotted out. Love the Funhouse and all it represents. Love Kelly O. and the Stranger and all it represents too. Sigh. Very nostalgia now.
Posted by Jennifer Maerz on March 14, 2012 at 9:28 AM · Report this
Psychic Ills in 2009. Master Musicians of Bukkake, Feb. 2012. Lots of A Frames/AFCGT gigs. That Sun Ra/John Cage duet. Yeah.
Posted by Dave Segal on March 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM · Report this
Brian has always been the greatest guy to help me book shows. A couple of years ago at the Funhouse, Brian let me book the show for my own personal birthday celebration, including my favorite touring band, Warner Drive.
Posted by xjennersonx http://www.facebook.com/xjennersonx on March 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM · Report this
Claypatch 41
Reverend BeatMan, 2009. Insanely loud. Seriously, ear-bleeding loud. Fantastic effin show.
Posted by Claypatch on March 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM · Report this
Brian Foss is one of the best bookers this city has ever seen.
Posted by Kelly O on March 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM · Report this
2 favorite shows there - The Ka-Nives! and first time I saw Shim.
Posted by frito on May 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM · Report this