Line Out Music & the City at Night

Friday, May 11, 2012

A Little Less Conversation...

Posted by on Fri, May 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Not to come over all schoolmarmish about things, but talking in the crowd during musical performances has been a chronic problem… probably since long before all of us were born. But that doesn’t mean we can’t make an effort right now to STFU more often while attending shows. (I feel like this concept needs to be repeated on a weekly basis to everyone everywhere. Note: I am not blameless, either.)

Now dig this big crux: If you have to shout to be heard and you’re not conveying information that could wait till there’s a break in the music, then you should hold your tongue—especially if you’ve been drinking cheap beer, eating cold cuts, smoking cigarettes, and are leaning into my face to chatter. Anyway, anything you have to say will be better understood when the music drops out— and there’s the bonus of showing the musicians a little respect while they’re pouring their hearts out onstage for you.

Let’s all make a concerted effort to be more quiet and attentive at concerts, eh?

Posted by Debacle Sam on May 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM · Report this
It's the job of the entertainers on the stage to manage this. If the crowd is talking too much...maybe you're not being entertaining enough? Sorry, but I subscribe to the philosophy of "I paid for my damn ticket, I'll do whatever the hell I want (within the bounds of the law, of course)"
Posted by argle-bargle on May 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM · Report this
argle-bargle is JUST THE KIND OF FUCKING ASSHOLE I ALWAYS GET STUCK STANDING NEXT TO! Please stay home. You're a selfish, vapid, inwardly-focused PILE OF SHIT!
Posted by legacy builder on May 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM · Report this
I don't know what's worse...that or someone texting throughout a show. The glow is almost worse than the voices.

PUT YOUR DAMN PHONES AWAY!
Posted by Dod on May 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM · Report this
skweetis 5
I often have the joy of listening to some ass hat directly behind me spend the entire break before the band droning on and on about how they are so into this band and knew about them before anyone and saw them at this small place before they were big only to continue blabbing through the entire set without ever stopping to listen to the muisic. Super annoying. Stop it.
Posted by skweetis on May 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM · Report this
ALL OF THIS except #2.
Posted by eekay on May 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
I've pretty much quit going to shows at small clubs because of people talking. The Tractor especially has acoustics that seem to amplify the roar of chatter.
Posted by sisyphusgal on May 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM · Report this
JensR 8
@2
Yeah but so did everyone else... If you go to a movie you don't scream out the surprise ending during the first seconds of the film do you? Its legal and you "paid for your damn ticket".

I guess you use aaaaaaall the bus seats while commuting? I mean you "paid for your damn ticket". I suppose you belch loudly at restaurants while talking loudly about your job at the shit factory because you paid for your visit? I suppose you take a jack hammer to your local highway at nights and cut out chunks of it to throw at flowers because your taxes paid for that road?

All social and communal settings and commodities aren't yours to dictate over. You helped pay for it - but you don't own it. There is a huge difference between the two.

Personally I prefer music thats either danceable or loud enough to drown out most conversations - so your welcome to join me if you like. But that is because the social rules are such that your allowed to scream, dance - you see the difference?

Posted by JensR http://ohyran.se on May 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 9

Meanwhile...

Dah dah dah-dat dah dant dah dat!

Iron Butterfly

TONITE

Kent Events Center...

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on May 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM · Report this
very bad homo 10
Yes, just go to a bar if you want to talk. Why would you pay for a ticket & then not pay attention to the bands?
Posted by very bad homo on May 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Fnarf 11
I think the guy with the camera flash the size of the Statue of Liberty's torch is more annoying, personally.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 12
a million yeses.

@2, you're a dick.
Posted by mr. herriman on May 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 13
You're all wrong.

The worst thing is people holding up their camera phones, taking video. The. Whole Fucking. Show.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on May 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
seattlejenny 14
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance
And if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine

If you want to respect the music...
Posted by seattlejenny on May 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM · Report this
Looking For a Better Read 15
I don't mind the talking so much. The gratuitous pot smoking I can do without. The wife and I went to see Galactic a few weeks ago and had the thrill of standing near a group of 8-10 folks who insisted on chain smoking throughout the show (or at least the portion of it that we could stand being in their proximity). I don't smoke, and generally don't begrudge those who choose to do so, but in an indoor venue, where we're all in tight quarters . . . c'mon, ease up there kids.
Posted by Looking For a Better Read on May 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM · Report this
lindsey 16
I had the displeasure of this experience when I went to see Jeff Mangum in Oakland a few weeks ago. Ended up standing next to a group of drunk barely-legal-to-drink assholes who talked so loud I couldn't even hear half his set. SO. FUCKING. ANNOYING. How the hell do you spend $45 on a ticket when you aren't even going to pay attention to the fucking musician on stage?
Posted by lindsey on May 12, 2012 at 6:23 PM · Report this
Ditto for Zoo Tunes. I mean I know it's outside and people are eating. (People can even bring their little kids but THEY are rarely the problem.)

It's people that paid good money to eat outside with background music.

The rest of us? We paid to LISTEN to the band, not listen to you tell the details of your long and tedious day.

I don't get it.
Posted by westello on May 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 18
i actually threw ice on a person talking during a headlining et by 'low' a few years ago.. i mean.. fucking hell.. the band is called 'LOW' !
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on May 13, 2012 at 12:10 AM · Report this
Canadian Nurse 19
A-fucking-MEN
Posted by Canadian Nurse on May 13, 2012 at 7:54 AM · Report this
If we can talk together, why can't we rock together?
Posted by mint chocolate chip on May 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM · Report this
Simone 21
I'm a little annoyed at the DSLR guy who stretches out his camera/arm all over the place and the stage.

Oh, and not really an annoyance but just something that bugs me is when people are using their cells to take video they are holding the cell in the vertical position instead of the more useful horizontal position.
Posted by Simone on May 13, 2012 at 9:55 AM · Report this
Bigsfrottin 22
damn you guys suck. if someones bothering you at a concert just move somewhere else. i've never had this problem when up at the front of a crowd.

learn how to tune other people's bullshit out because maybe one day you'll figure out that you can't control everyone and the sooner you learn this the happier you'll be.
Posted by Bigsfrottin on May 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM · Report this
ceefurn 23
It's not just the people around you talking that's the problem. What I hate is when people attempt to talk to the performers on stage. Unless they encourage it, like Jeff Mangum did at The Moore. Most of the time it's pretty embarrassing, though.
Posted by ceefurn http://weeklygeekshow.com on May 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Little Bongo 24
My strategy is pretty simple. I lean over and say "Hey, I came to listen to the band, not you."
Posted by Little Bongo on May 13, 2012 at 10:26 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 25
@22.. since not everybody can be in the front...it's not about control, it's about restraint and courtesy. got any ?
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on May 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 26
@17 The Zoo is not for listening to the band. It's a place to bring kids and chat with your friends. I've been to shows where nearly a quarter of the crowd were kids who got in free. Makes for very tight quarters and a lot of non-concert activity around you. If you can't get there when the gates open and rush to secure your spot (had my stuff moved), you're just gonna watch kids running around to the sound of your favorite band.
Concerts have become more about the "Event" than listening to the music. When people get loaded to see the show, they can be expected to act selfishly. Dave is right: it has gotten worse.
Posted by Sir Vic on May 14, 2012 at 11:04 AM · Report this
If you went to a show and talked and texted the whole time, don't tell anyone what a great time you had at the show. IF YOU ARE TALKING, YOU AREN'T LISTENING! Those two activities are mutually exclusive.
Posted by bryanrust on May 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM · Report this
s.maxim 28
I get annoyed when people talk to me during a band's set.

Oddly enough, I don't get annoyed when people are talking while I'm on stage. I think the main reason being that I've come to expect it.

Posted by s.maxim on May 14, 2012 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Damn I'm glad you said that. I always tell people I don't want to yell over the band, let's talk when they stop, because it messes my voice up, and they tend to act like I'm a weirdo for having said it.
Posted by BallardBoy on May 14, 2012 at 9:56 PM · Report this
Bigsfrottin 30
@25 got any? in what way did i make it seem like i'm the target of this article? I just said you people need to just not let other people bother so much. such is life.
Posted by Bigsfrottin on May 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM · Report this
Bigsfrottin 31
also sometimes you aren't there for the show and you wished they'd stop intruding on your conversation with their shitty music.
Posted by Bigsfrottin on May 15, 2012 at 7:52 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 32
@30.. 'you people suck'.
oh i'm sorry.. hyperbole . yeah.. i always over react when people use it. you didn't mean it personally... just generally. we don't really 'suck' . you didn't mean it.
love, if you're not there for the show and everybody else is, why not go home ? happiness all around.
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on May 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM · Report this
I'm stunned at what a bunch of uptight, spoiled babies you all are (er, maybe MOST are). I made the 2nd comment, and I stand by it, but I never said *I* like to talk at shows, actually, i hardly ever do...I'm there to see the band(s). My point was merely that you can't expect to go to a concert and expect a movie theater or opera style vibe (and to the moron who asked me if i talk at movies, no, I don't. You're a moron for asking. They're two different things). I have been personally annoyed by talking at shows, and I'm sure I will be in the future, but you'll never hear me whine about it like a spoiled brat. The only way to ensure a conversation-free evening is to stay at home by yourself. Why don't some of you give that a shot?
Posted by Argle-Bargle on May 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM · Report this
@33 This post was mainly aimed at people who talk to me, specifically. I go to shows primarily to hear music, so when people engage me in conversation, it detracts from the experience (unless someone is saying he/she wants to give me money; then I'm all ears). But one doesn't want to be rude, so one puts up with the chatter.
Posted by Dave Segal on May 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
@Dave Segal: That's...actually a pretty valid complaint. Fuck those people!
Posted by Argle-Bargle on May 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this