Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

LADIES: You Gotta Stop This!

Posted by on Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Dear Ladies of Bumbershoot: I couldn't believe how many of you were doing this. I'm not trying to be preachy, but I started doing it when I was 13 years old, and it has been a roller coaster of quitting and starting (and quitting) ever since. It's easy to roll your eyes at the lung cancer warnings, but I wish someone would have told me about the wrinkles, painful teeth whitening, and cellulite. You should stop while you still can! Stop now! LOVE, Kelly O

sm_2813.jpg
  • Kelly O

sm_2873.jpg

sm_2824.jpg

sm_2827.jpg

sm_2828.jpg
  • All photos Kelly O

Emily Nokes 1
Also: stop eating lemons! (Is that what the girl on the left is doing??) It's making my mouth eyes water just thinking about it.
Posted by Emily Nokes on September 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM · Report this
Jenny from the Block 2
Why just the ladies of Bumbershoot? Shouldn't the reasons be as compelling for men? I mean, if you're going to get all "preachy" then I may as well get all "feministy".
Posted by Jenny from the Block on September 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this
biffp 3
I really appreciate you making this point. I almost lost my dad this Sunday to heart disease. I've lost two grandparents and two aunts to smoking-realted illnesses.
Posted by biffp on September 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
yelahneb 4
Of even graver concern: their presence on my lawn.
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on September 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM · Report this
(in re #3) She's cute, but that blue is a terrible color on her.
Posted by dagard on September 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM · Report this

Every single woman I have ever known in my life who was _even remotely_ promiscuous, "Kinky", or sexually "Non-vanilla-mainstream" (i.e. into fetish, leather, goth or alt fashion, swinging, or any combination of B, D, S, and/or M. Yeah, I'm casting a wide net here) was a smoker. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Now maybe this has to do with my conservative area (American Midwest), or my generation (I'm in my early 40's). Maybe it doesn't. Maybe it's cultural (70+ years of pop culture that links smoking with sexy), maybe it's somehow physiological (High sex drive linked to something else in the brain that's a factor in smoking)... I have absolutely no idea.
Posted by Somebody Do A Study On This on September 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM · Report this
I don't mind them smoking, I'd just appreciate it if they could throw their butts somewhere other than the ground.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on September 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 8
Obviously some marketing stuff is going on that you are not yet aware of, targeting young girls thru stuff like Pinterest and FB and twitter.

Very sad.

Too bad the Repugs gutted the commission that used to stop crap like this.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM · Report this
this guy I know in Spokane 9
Oh, and by the way: smokers stink even when they're not smoking, and their mouths taste terrible.
Posted by this guy I know in Spokane on September 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM · Report this
@2 - Because girls smoke more than boys. And it's worse for them. Just Google it.

Smoking by teenage girls is one third higher than among boys... The findings have huge implications for women's health as the rising number of young female smokers threatens to overtake males hooked on the habit.

Posted by Kelly O on September 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM · Report this
The idea that having a ridiculous smoldering appendage, that makes you reek like a bum, is cool and attractive, has got to be the most ludicrous one to have ever swept the globe.
Posted by Rhizome on September 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM · Report this
rob! 13
Re: 10, better resolution, non-Mormony, multi-lingual replacement for third link:

Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on September 4, 2012 at 4:44 PM · Report this
NOP_Spinster 14
@6 I am considered a kinky woman and I don't smoke. I have tried it and I have never cared for it. I have known many other kinky women who don't smoke. I know a lot more vanilla women who do smoke. I agree that a good study would be to survey a bunch of women and men to see if there's anything to your theory.

@9 I prefer non-smoking kinksters, but not all smokers are equal. Some taste and smell of it more than others.
Posted by NOP_Spinster on September 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM · Report this
"What's Wrong With This Picture?"

nothing!

mind your own fucking business!
Posted by gurgleblurgle on September 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM · Report this
Psssh. While you're being preachy, please tell all the hip ladies that blue fingernails are just off-putting and ugly. Also slate-colored, purple, green, or yellow fingernails. And lank, oily hair doesn't cut it, either. Wearing blue fingernail polish in public is like putting a sign around your neck that reads "I have hello kitty sheets on my bed and 118 stuffed animals crowded into my pillow."
Posted by Calpete on September 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 17
@ 16, what's wrong with Hello Kitty sheets and stuffed animals?
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM · Report this
Skin, yes!! no one ever mentions that little side effect of smoking. Seriously, women, it might help you lose/maintain your weight, but you'll look like a hag by the time you are 40. My best friend's mother started smoking at 15. At 50, she still had the same body she had at 15, despite two pregnancies, but she looked 70. Very sad.
Posted by Bugnroolet on September 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM · Report this
Mike 19
It's like Europe: full of otherwise-babes who taste like ashtrays.
Posted by Mike on September 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM · Report this
@17 -- Nothing. If you're nine years old. If you're in your twenties or, please not, your thirties, it's a signal that you think Harvey Wallbangers are sophisticated.
Posted by Calpete on September 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM · Report this
TVDinner 21
@16: Maybe they wear that nail polish and lank hair so people like you won't hit on them. Seems to be working so far, so mission accomplished, ladies!

Also: Kelly is right.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on September 4, 2012 at 6:16 PM · Report this

Are all these girls over 18?

Otherwise you're exploiting minors for the sake of commerce.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on September 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM · Report this
The problem is they're not wearing enough make up, right?
Posted by TheVripper on September 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM · Report this
very bad homo 24
Not to mention that YOU ALL SMELL HORRIBLE. That smell, it is on you all the time.
Posted by very bad homo on September 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM · Report this
Jessica 25
@16: My apologies, I didn't get the memo that my cosmetic decisions were supposed to be based around the goal of getting your dick hard. I'll let my husband know that despite his enjoyment of blue polish on his graduate student wife and mother of his kid, SOME DUDE ON THE INTERNET thinks it looks tacky, and therefore I must stop.
Posted by Jessica on September 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM · Report this
The one thing these girls have in common is that they are all smoking hotties!
Posted by WEE on September 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM · Report this
stoompy 27
I don't care what the haters are saying! None of it would make me want to do you less!
Posted by stoompy http://www.efukt.com/ on September 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM · Report this
Self-abuse is fine. Irony is fine. Nihilism yeah whatever.
These ladies need some place to spend their willingness to risk.
Hard to take them serious, blue & stringy, or hot hot hot.
Smoke your health away, go ahead. But not for nothing.

That's what's Wrong.
Posted by Local Yokel on September 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM · Report this
Kelly, you take good people pictures.

Also - smoking alone makes a woman unattractive in my eyes. I absolutely don't care about anything else - including blue nail polish and stuffed animals. Regardless of everything else, if the girl smokes, forget it.
Posted by floater on September 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM · Report this
I got really excited, thinking you were starting a rant against face paint.
Posted by Casual_Observer on September 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM · Report this
care bear 31
Making out with people who smoke is no fun at all.
Posted by care bear on September 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM · Report this
What's wrong with that picture? The poor woman has taken in so much carbon monoxide from her cigarette that it turned her fingers blue! Quick, get her an oxygen mask and a pulse oximeter!
Posted by Biologist in the stix on September 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 33
Yes, roll your eyes at the lung cancer thing, because the truly terrible thing about smoking is that you'll smell bad to the boys, and have yellow teeth that the boys don't like, and cellulite (boys don't like that either), and wrinkles, also disliked by boys.

So, the biggest concern here is in attracting the boys. Lung cancer? Whatev... don't make me roll my pretty, pretty eyes at you and the boys.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on September 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM · Report this
@ 33 - it's not so much vanity, it's just that most smokers don't BELIEVE the cancer thing will really happen. At least not to them, and not right away... Ask a smoker.
Posted by Kelly O on September 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM · Report this
I would have to agree with comment 22. The biggest problem with these pictures is that you probably didn't ask any of these ladies if you could publish their photo on the Internet to be publicly ridiculed by you and your commenters.
Posted by Not cool on September 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM · Report this
derrickito 36
i just smoked a giant mexican cigar
Posted by derrickito on September 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM · Report this
sirkowski 37
>implying they don't deserve lung cancer.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on September 5, 2012 at 12:03 AM · Report this
Sean Kinney 38
I like women who smoke.

You can all get fucked.
Posted by Sean Kinney http:// on September 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM · Report this
"The truly terrible thing about smoking is that you'll smell bad to the boys, and have yellow teeth that the boys don't like, and cellulite (boys don't like that either), and wrinkles, also disliked by boys."

Don't be fatuous. You'll also smell bad to the girls, and have yellow teeth that girls don't like and cellulite, and wrinkles, which girls don't like either.

What is it? Does liking/having a penis somehow make your sense of smell better? How does that work, exactly?

It's phallocentric bullshit to suggest lesbians can't smell as well as straight people or gay men. Fuck you for suggesting that women are too weak with their little girly girl noses to be offended by the smell of cigarette smoke, or can't be shallow enough to hate wrinkles and cellulite. Lesbians can be just as petty and shallow as everybody else, and you're a fucking bigoted asshole for suggesting they can't.
Posted by You're a bigot and a jerk on September 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM · Report this
I found smoking gross even as an impressionable youth. That smell. Hard to imagine why anyone starts.
Posted by Amanda on September 5, 2012 at 12:58 AM · Report this
@ a lot of replies. Just think about the way you smell. It even comes out in your sex juices. And kiss on the mouth? Uhhhhhgghhh. No wonder you get treated like a come rag. And how about us standing downwind? Ruin a perfectly good high and contaminate the smell of better herbs. When it is all over, the clothes have that awful stench instead of that nice perspiring body having had fun smell. Separate wash. Not at all cool nor groovy. Can't say enough against it. And blue fingernails - who are you with, Ken Doll?
Posted by Gonesouth on September 5, 2012 at 7:25 AM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 42
@12 Being highly addictive helps the cause a lot.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on September 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 43
@9 is correct.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, your bf can tell when you "just snuck a quick cigarette" so that nobody would know.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM · Report this
stirwise 44
@16: me and my 30-something purple and green fingernails don't give a shit if you think we're attractive. Have you ever considered that women do things because they we want to, not because we want you to fuck us?
Posted by stirwise on September 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM · Report this
Reason to quit #1: At $7 on the low end and as high as $10 a pack, dropping my pack-a-day addiction freed up enough cash for a new car.

Reason to quit #2: health concerns aside, smoking turned me into a terrible, thoughtless, disgusting LITTERER. Tossing my butts all over creation was my secret shame.

Took three tries, so if you don't quit the first time, don't give up.
Posted by Westside forever on September 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 46
@39,
Chill out.

Yeah, they'll smell/look bad to the girls too. Happy now?

P.S. you missed the point.

Posted by Urgutha Forka on September 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM · Report this
if she smokes, she pokes.
Posted by deepconcentration on September 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this