Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

We All Agree that Keep It Like a Secret Is the Best Built to Spill Record, Right?

Posted by on Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

keepitsecret.jpeg
I mean, that's just common knowledge, right? Keep It Like a Secret is the best Built to Spill record. Hands down. No question. "Temporarily Blind," "The Plan," "Carry the Zero." From start to finish. Best record.

Also: Built to Kill. A death metal Built to Spill tribute band. Someone make this happen.

("She's Real" is the best Built to Spill song, but it doesn't count because it's a cover and it's on a split EP.)

Jackson Hathorn 1
I was ready to argue for Perfect From Now On, or There's Nothing Wrong With Love (and maybe even Ultimate Alternative Wavers just 'cuz it's mostly unappreciated in the BtS canon), but then 16 year-old me slapped myself in the face and said, what's wrong with you, you listened to Carry the Zero on repeat almost every night for a year.
Posted by Jackson Hathorn on September 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM · Report this
Ancient Melodies of the Future is my personal favorite, but if I leave out the sentimental reasons, I have to agree with you.
Posted by Cappelletti on September 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this
LEE. 3
some people out there will say it doesn't count, but my favorite is the live album. that version of "The Plan" is far superior to the album.
Posted by LEE. on September 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM · Report this
Perfect From Now On! Changed me.

Built to KILL? That might also change me....someone NEEEEEDS TO do it.
Posted by Starlena79 on September 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM · Report this
matt 5
There's Nothing Wrong With Mistakenly Thinking Keep It Like A Secret Is Their Best Album
Posted by matt on September 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
Perfect From Now On.
Even Doug says 'Perfect' is the best thing they've ever done, for what that's worth.
Posted by ptr on September 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM · Report this
My personal favorite is still Perfect From Now On. Secret does have my favorite BTS song though in Carry The Zero.
Perfect From Now On has like 4 of my favorite Built to Spill songs though; Kicked it in the Sun...I Would Hurt a Fly...Made Up Dreams...Out of Sight.
If someone unfamiliar with Built to Spill asks me which album to listen to though, I usually steer them towards Keep it Like a Secret or There's Nothing Wrong With Love just because those have more of the immediately likable tunes and don't have all of the long intros and jammed out songs that Perfect have. I love them, but I know they're not for everybody.
Posted by John In Ballard on September 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM · Report this
PFNO has it, I think. Keep it like a secret is just too weak-willed and cute. Perfect.. has some grit and meat to it. I'm not the biggest fan, but I do occasionally listen to the former, and cannot even remember if I own a copy of the latter.

Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on September 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM · Report this
I like you in reverse
Posted by ghosty on September 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM · Report this
I just listened to both. Keep it Like a Secret is a far superior record, imho.
Posted by Dod on September 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM · Report this
ak47 11
If what you say is true, why did they have a tour where they played Perfect From Now On in its entirety?
Posted by ak47 on September 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Jeff Kirby 12
There's Nothing Wrong With Love! There's Nothing Wrong With Love!
Posted by Jeff Kirby on September 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM · Report this