Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

What IS Aretha Franklin's BEST Song?

Posted by on Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I know. WHAT THE FUCK KINDA QUESTION IS "What IS Aretha Franklin's BEST Song?" ...and who the FUCK asks that shit on a TUESDAY?! Right, so we all know Ms. Franklin has a catalog long as my right arm, most of her Atlantic label recordings are canon, but for as timeless and HUGE as all those songs are...I'm a sucker for the deep soul. Like, BIG TIME. And if I gotta stake this, Ima say I don't think Re Re, in all her glory, never topped this song, "Prove It." The heartbreak here is visceral.

So..., what y'all got? GIMME!

You know, that tune she sang in the Blues Brothers film.
Posted by Dave Segal on September 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Posted by Dave Segal on September 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM · Report this
cosby 3
'Chain Of Fools' is an unstoppable pile driver, no cover can touch the original. Sorry to go for an obvious choice, but sometimes the answer is an easy one.
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on September 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
I'm gonna second "Rock Steady", but to each their own.
Posted by John In Ballard on September 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM · Report this
threnody 5
Baby I Love You or Oh Me Oh My.
Posted by threnody on September 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this
@2 I concur, although Do Right Woman, Do Right Man comes in at a close second.
Posted by sisyphusgal on September 11, 2012 at 6:08 PM · Report this
julie russell 7
All good picks. I always liked her God Bless The Child better than Billie Holiday's...and Spirit In The Night
Posted by julie russell http:// on September 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM · Report this
julie russell 8
*DARK
Posted by julie russell http:// on September 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM · Report this
"Rough Lover," but I've been big on "Tighten Up Your Tie, Button Up Your Jacket" too. With a catalogue that deep, a lot depends on the environment. "Rock Steady" is up there.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on September 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM · Report this
"Don't Play That Song" or maybs "I Never Loved a Man". The latter is unreal.
Posted by fentar on September 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 11
well hell.. if i had to pick just one .. i'd cuss you out, like street loud cuss and then throw my hands up and say
'ain't no way'.. i mean first.. she plays piano on that one. it's the first instrument you hear, and then that sax comes in so you know her heart is full of cigarette smoke and whisky. then she got her sister carolyn singing the sole background voice until laer when they all join in. ( that's carolyn ,other sister erma, and cissy houston - whitney's mom ) and then there's the lyrics..which her sister carolyn wrote.
ain't now way for me to love you, if you won't let me'..
shit destroys me . every. single . time.
but then.. there's her version of marvin gaye's 'wholy holy' performed live with rev ames cleveland the southern california community choir from 'amazing grace' ( and by the way iif you ever get to here her sing amazing grace live your depends better be cinched tight. )
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on September 12, 2012 at 6:42 PM · Report this
despicable me 12
Pink Cadillac!
Posted by despicable me on September 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 13
@12.. you kids.. either you mean aretha's ' freeway of love'...or you mean natalie cole's 'pink cadillac'.. neither of which is remotely near their best work..i'm marking your assignment as incomplete.
* continues street cussin *
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on September 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 14
@13..i am my own grammar nazi..
'remotely near'
*slaps forehead*
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on September 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM · Report this
There's plenty of hard groovers, stomping soul testifiers in her legacy. For my money though, the one that gets to me the most was the slower tempoed"(You Make Ke Feel Like a) Natural Woman". Written specifically for Aretha, music composed by Carole King with lyrics written by then-husband Gerry Goffin, Aretha puts her indelible stamp all over it. That's her piano vamp, and then her vocal kicks in right away. And what a vocal....she owns it just like everything she sings. The Sweet Inspirations provide call and response background, and Arif Mardin's sparce orchestral backing is the icing. That French horn answering Aretha's "You make me feel..." calls helps to raise the lump in your throat.
Posted by AgntDblOSOUL http://www.DanceParty2Go.com on September 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM · Report this