I've never once listened to Adele's "Someone Like You" and thought "What a romantic, lovely song—how perfect this would be to play at a funeral, when you want to remember and celebrate someone who's left us." Alas, Adele's hit is the 22nd most popular song to play at funeral services in the UK.
Adele's 'Someone Like You' might have been an international chart success, but it's now entered at number 22 of the funeral music chart.
The track, which in July 2011 became the first single of the decade to sell a million in the United Kingdom, has entered the Co-operative Funeralcare's chart of the top music played at funerals.
'My Way' by Frank Sinatra topped the poll for the seventh year running with the track requested at 15 per cent of funerals, while Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli's rendition of 'Time To Say Goodbye' and Bette Midler's 'Wind Beneath My Wings' came in at second and third place.
The top 20 songs UK funeral songs are after the jump. You better not play any of them at my funeral. Play something awesome. Like "adeadenemyalwayssmellsgood" by Future of the Left or Jackson 5's "ABC." Make the people dance.
1. Frank Sinatra, "My Way"
2. Sarah Brightman/Andrea Bocelli, "Time To Say Goodbye"
3. Bette Midler, "Wind Beneath My Wings"
4. Eva Cassidy, "Over The Rainbow"
5. Robbie Williams, "Angels"
6. Westlife, "You Raise Me Up"
7. Gerry & The Pacemakers, "You'll Never Walk Alone"
8. Vera Lynn, "We'll Meet Again"
9. Celine Dion, "My Heart Will Go On"
10. Nat King Cole, "Unforgettable"
11. Tina Turner, "The Best"
12. Whitney Houston/Dolly Parton, "I Will Always Love You"
13. Monty Python, "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life"
14. Luther Vandross, "Dance With My Father"
15. Louis Armstrong, "Wonderful World"
16. Daniel O'Donnell, "Danny Boy"
17. Eva Cassidy, "Fields Of Gold"
18. Righteous Brothers (and various), "Unchained Melody"
19. Westlife, "Flying Without Wings"
20. Eva Cassidy, "Songbird"