Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

I've Always Hated Hair

Posted by on Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I'm not a big fan of musicals, like, since I was a kid, which is why I never liked anything having to do with Hair. Ugh...that damn movie and soundtrack was a constant Sunday afternoon feature...in North Carolina, the land of little theater and even LESS hippie hope. Anyway, last week, for a quarter...even with my deep-seated vitriol, I picked up a copy of the Hair soundtrack. This time with grown-up and open-minded ears I listened the whole way through, but only "Aquarius," made it worth my time... except for the slap bass, I kinda like this version.

The rest of the movie's soundtrack can still suck my balls. Seriously, it's about as POP as you can get without being exploitative. I know the writers of Hair, for all its success, weren't from the street, they weren't part of the underground! However, just as it did when I was a kid, it reminded me of '60s/'70s church choirs attempts to "get out there," so to me it (still) sounds pandering. Sure, the "revolution" of the time was kinda the point to Hair...in 1968, but by 1978 I'm not sure why the movie adaptation was popular. Perhaps the folks who came of age in the '60s could somehow sorta, reconnect to their roots via the dancing hippes...perhaps? Either way it sure made me hate 'em.

Also: I'm deeply sorry for any of y'all who, in high school choir/vocal ensemble, had to sing/perform ANYTHING from Hair. Oof.

Larry Mizell, Jr. 1
yup.
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on November 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 2
@1: I concur.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on November 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM · Report this
nipper 3
IM STILL SOOOO ANGRY. Ugh. This shit ALMOST ruined hippie for me.
Posted by nipper on November 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
Galt MacDermot, though.
Posted by Dave Segal on November 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
Norbeck 5
Nipper, I saw your hippie doppelgänger a couple weeks ago at the Les Schwab in Ballard. I seriously did a double take. Almost asked if I could take his picture, but chickened out. Ha!
Posted by Norbeck on November 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 6
@4 true. the huge, gaping hole in this

i uploaded two of my favorite most #rare Galt tracks on Youtube, maybe i'll post tomorrow (dun dun dunnn)
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on November 13, 2012 at 11:48 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 7
if you were a teen in chicago in 1969 and the only musicals you saw were 'the sound of music' and 'fiddler on the roof', hair was a mind blowing revelation. however, seeing it in a packed crowd of blue hairs at the 5th avenue theater a couple of years ago was an affront to the ancestors.
and also, naked. everything is better with some naked on it. 1969 naked YAY-yuh . 2010 naked not so much
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on November 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM · Report this
I actually really like it as a kind of history study, but I think it's very different for me because I was born after this era was thoroughly over. The attitude expressed is so completely foreign to me that it was interesting just to see what people thought of hippies while hippies were still new.
Posted by alguna_rubia on November 15, 2012 at 8:02 AM · Report this