Line Out Music & the City at Night

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Mars Bar Has A New Booker!

Posted by on Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Left to Right, Nardwuar, CJ
  • Cody Creel
  • Left to Right: Nardwuar, CJ
When a bunch of my friends were going to a Dream Salon/Pony Time/Stickers/Pelvis Wrestlies show last Sunday, I was kind of surprised when I heard it was going to be at the Mars Bar. I hadn't been to the Mars Bar in FOREVER... mostly because I haven't heard of a bill there with bands I knew about for a few years, which is too bad because it is not a bad walk from Capitol Hill and really is the perfect medium size for a really fun party rock show. But apparently last Sunday's amazing lineup was no fluke, as CJ Frederick has recently starting booking the room. CJ (who relocated to Seattle from NYC a few years ago and was formerly the drummer for local trio Big Eyes) says, "I really concentrate on taking care of the touring bands because I was on tour for almost a year straight before settling down in Seattle." CJ tells me, "It's also probably worth mentioning how myself and the sound guy Cody used to work at The Funhouse. We're not looking to make Mars Bar 'the new Funhouse,' but it definitely fills a gap that's wide open right now. And now Michelle Pannell puts on RadGoat every Friday at the bar, which are usually the heavier punk/hardcore/metal shows." I expect he'll will be luring us all to the Mars Bar soon enough with a calendar full of amazing punk rock bills. You can find out more info on their upcoming shows at their facebook page and blog.

Here are two members of Pony Time giving their assessment on playing their first show at Mars Bar Sunday:

"Seemed legit. I met CJ, and Cody from Funhouse was doing sound—bands got paid and it was a good turnout for a rainy Sunday. Could be a spot, you know?" -Luke, from Pony Time

"I would def play there again. It's the perfect size."-Stacy, from Pony Time.

good news all around
Posted by BrianMyFatAss http://www.myspace.com/brianfoss on November 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM · Report this
LEE. 2
that's Pannell, not Panne.
Posted by LEE. on November 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 3
CJ rules. Cody's always been my favourite sound guy in the city. Good location. Can't wait to start hitting shows up there.
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on November 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM · Report this
FINALLY. I've been waiting for the Mars Bar to be legit again for years. My bands used to play there pretty often around 2005-2006 and there were regularly really great lineups. I think that was back when Matt from nadomucho.com was booking there.

It's a perfect sized room for up and coming bands and a good location. So good to hear that they're finally pulling their heads out of their asses and taking the place seriously again.

Posted by Cappelletti on November 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM · Report this
CMRz 5
Tall Boys are the right price at the Mars Bars!
Posted by CMRz http://www.cmrtyz.com on November 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM · Report this
getting back to the roots of the STORE ROOM that used to be housed there (or next door in the Venus Cafe). Nice work.
Posted by prettykitty on November 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM · Report this
Thanks Bree! Bands can hit me up at offthebookscj(at)gmail(dot)com or www.facebook.com/daswasupgig. Everyone keep rockin.
Posted by offthebookscj on November 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Thanks Bree! Bands please feel free to hit me up for shows at offthebookscj(at)gmail(dot)com and www.facebook.com/daswasupgig and let's keep this place rockin.
Posted by offthebookscj on November 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
Glad to hear it - real good dudes, both.
Posted by danmohr on November 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM · Report this
antiuser 10
CJ is a great guy and Mars Bar has a lot of potential.
Posted by antiuser http://antiuser.org on November 16, 2012 at 1:40 AM · Report this