Line Out Music & the City at Night

Monday, January 7, 2013

How Can You Tell If You Just Blew Your Amp?

Posted by on Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Cause I think I just did that.

J. Burns 1
Does it work? If it doesn't work, it needs to go to the shop. Be prepared to pay out the ass. Feels bad, man.
Posted by J. Burns on January 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM · Report this
Oh dude! I suppose this really throws a stick in the spokes of the "mix-tape machine." Bummer.
Posted by Totalpukoid on January 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM · Report this
"How Can You Tell If You Just Blew Your Amp?"
Your knees hurt and your mouth tastes like bleach.
Posted by That was too easy on January 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 4
Dammit. @3 beat me to it.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM · Report this
LEE. 5
"How Can You Tell If You Just Blew Your Amp?"

Lee Cizek just played it :/

(I can't have nice things)
Posted by LEE. on January 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM · Report this
michaelp 6
Depends. I've blown out heads before, and that sucks something fierce. If it straight up won't turn on, and the fuse is fine, you probably are fucked. If it's just a tube, though - not as big of a deal (I mean, some amps need some extra work with a power tube blowout).

If it's still on but is just sounding like shit, get a new speaker. My VT-22 has gone through a shit ton of speakers, and it was all my fault. I kept getting 2 50watt 12" speakers. 100w amp, makes sense. Amazingly, once I threw in an Eminence 150w, and a Roland 75w (I think), that hasn't had any problems.

But back to the beginning - more details.
Posted by michaelp on January 9, 2013 at 7:48 AM · Report this
by the taste of burnt resistors in your mouth
Posted by ripcord on January 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM · Report this
I have destroyed about a dozen amps in the last couple years. here is how I troubleshoot (often on stage, so bear with some of the obvious stuff).

1-eliminate all other potential issues (cords, pedals, guitars)
2-check power (power strip, GFI, Breaker)
3-check tubes -are they lighting up?
4-check fuse- is it blown?

(swap amp, play show, continue troubleshoot at home)

5- smell amp- does it smell like toast? (literally, like toast) -if so, you burnt up something
6- pull and check tubes - tap them, look at them, test them if you have another amp or a tube tester
7-pull speaker- push on cone, does it grind/catch instead of move smoothly
8-does the speaker read OK on a multi-meter (if you get no ohms that is bad)
9- if yes to #5 pull out the chassis and look for obviously burnt components ( and cold solder joints while you're in there. Then take it to a tech, cause you're just gonna fuck it up if you start messing around with it.
10-remember the big caps carry lethal voltages for many days after the amp was last used (even unplugged). if you don't know what you're doing don't go sticking fingers in there.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on January 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 9
@ Michael and Chris: Thank you!
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on January 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM · Report this