Keenkeenkeenkeenkeen!
I honestly see validity in every review i've read, but I think what was
most telling was that I sat down to talk to a painter some 20 years my
senior about the use of color vs. sound in relation from his background
in visual arts and my background in deejaying/dancing. Some 15 or
16 years before this I moment I had flunked out of art school, so to
come around and engage with the artists/luminaries of the local scene
in this way absolutely makes my heart swoon in ways that I can't
describe. I know how big this is and certainly how honored I am to
be even a tiny part of it.

-j
Posted by a kid on September 18, 2011 at 1:28 PM · Report this
To be fair, Jen seems to be able to find profundity in a wet towel thrown over the back of a chair, and nods vigorously when some twee idiot claims it's 'art.'

So...grain of salt there.
Posted by sonder on September 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM · Report this
SBC came on the local scene a while back with a kind of art theatrics offering an apparent serious promise of significance. The team seems to maintain a continuing tension in the art community. Their history has been curious and prone to criticism. A battle seems to have emerged between the promise and the criticism. I have trouble dismissing them and yet often remain puzzled about their significance. I tell myself I must remain open minded and wait for what one would hope a future retrospective might bring as appreciation for their antics. I suspect they see themselves as deeply immersed in puzzle making as related to art. It is so twentieth century and strongly contemporary. As viewers we seem to be left on a twentieth century hook of art. Art that makes you think, "What in the world?" Art as a recursive quandary unto itself. This stuff could be quintessential, but who knows?
Posted by GFinholt on September 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM · Report this
liquid sky 4
prank wankers
Posted by liquid sky on September 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM · Report this
These guys have been having so much fun for so long and good for them. If you want to examine their work/history via social practice or performance you will find that the audience is always a very important part of the work. Deal with it. If you want to see their work as sculpture or public art then you will see that the work incorporates fine art aesthetics. Nice. But what makes their work important is the way SBC has been able to adapt and produce for over 10 years as artists. For the most part (and from what i know) these guys don't have day jobs. Good luck to the debt-ridden twenty somethings and artist trust-funders. You gotta work baby. Thanks SBC!
Posted by old geezer on September 18, 2011 at 6:41 PM · Report this
After you flunk out of art history theory and journalism for this piece of garbage (in several respects)...two things need to be remembered. One- that your lack of focus and linear thought coupled with your insufficient experience and brain trust leaves this as yet another waste of a precious opportunity in the minutiae of art media available locally today-but hey-go for it Neely O'Hara.
And two-the only reason these SBC characters feel the need to critique "pretentious art" is that they can't create pretentious art themselves. Yet again ripping off established artists Can you say Andrea Fraser???
Posted by northwest mystic on September 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM · Report this
Are you making an argument, Northwest Piss-take, or just throwing out insults peppered with name-dropping to make yourself feel important?
Posted by art-history professor on September 19, 2011 at 9:22 AM · Report this
@7 ...and very professorial (and professional) of you, fart-history professor. Let me know just where you profess to professorize and I'll be certain to avoid that institution at ALL costs.

peppered?....ah-ah-ah-AHHHHHCHOOO!!!!!!
Posted by northwest mystic on September 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM · Report this
Bless you!
Posted by Brendan Kiley on September 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM · Report this
I'm a little startled to read about people discussing whether or not the performers culled from Craigslist "deserve" to be on that stage -- I saw the whole situation from the opposite perspective.

The best thing I saw the night I attended was a wonderful hula-hooper on the mainstage,and I was happy to get a tasty cup of lemonade from the guy in the house-right entryway. These performers were being taken advantage of by SBC, whose contributions to the whole evening were uneven and not very cohesive -- I liked the crashed airplane and the katamari, but pretty much everything else made me shrug (the nightclub in the downstairs space was particular banal -- I've been in real nightclubs, and "transforming" a theater space into a pale imitation of one is a yawn; haven't these guys ever been to a theater party? Theater spaces become dance floors all over Seattle on opening and closing nights).

The most enjoyable material was by these "guest" performers, who were acknowledged in the program but aren't going to get much recognition from the press (Brendan doesn't mention any of them by name) or the audience -- everyone goes away thinking about SBC, because their name is in big letters on the program and posters. It reminds me of a Ping Chong production, in which everyone walked away talking about a dance solo in the middle of it -- a dance solo that was created by the dancer and simply plucked up and set down in the middle of the show by Chong. The dancer got some recognition out of it, but Chong got all the kudos for the event.

12 Minutes Max is a much more honest forum than this SBC event -- it's just as much a mishmash of high and low and in-between, but the focus is on the performers, not the curators. If SBC think they're pushing at boundaries, they're being disingenuous at best and fraudulent at worst.
More...
Posted by bottsford on September 19, 2011 at 4:27 PM · Report this
A lot of the popular artists in Seattle having a cloying self-referential streak that overthought and unoriginal.

haven, offenbacher, SBC. -Barfo!
Posted by just being an asshole on October 27, 2011 at 1:44 PM · Report this
sorry, that was fucking stupid. i have issues with only some of their works. i wish i could delete it.
Posted by asshole on November 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM · Report this