Allie 1
Oh my. Why don't I have a baby squirrel?
Posted by Allie on October 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM · Report this
I would love to have a squirrel. My cat and dog would also love for me to have a squirrel, but probably for different reasons.
Posted by infrequentposter on October 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM · Report this
Just don't invite Richard Gere over.

Posted by sall on October 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM · Report this
I was lucky enough to have a flying squirrel as a kid--baby one fell down the chimney and the parents kept it. The nocturnal-ness wasn't so fun, but in general a pocket-sized squirrel is an excellent pet.
Posted by alight on October 20, 2011 at 2:39 PM · Report this
alithea 5
yessssssssssssss.
Posted by alithea on October 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM · Report this
seandr 6
I would love to hear more about the ins and out of squirrel husbandry.

P.S. Is baby Scooter is snuggling into a pair of your tighty whities?

Posted by seandr on October 20, 2011 at 2:48 PM · Report this
merry 7
Extreme squirrel delightfulness! That is one lucky little critter!!

Thank you for being such an excellent human, unpaid intern Paul Holmes.
Posted by merry on October 20, 2011 at 2:50 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 8
@6 - Mostly it's just ins and outs, yes.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 20, 2011 at 2:51 PM · Report this
hans millionaire 9
if it gets that big you could cook it for a Holiday meal (:

Bacon Wrapped Squirrel
Squirrel Salad
Squirrel Sloppy Joes
Squirrel Spit
Squirrel Stew
Squirrel Stew Too
Posted by hans millionaire on October 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM · Report this
does it bite or scratch?
Posted by anon1256 on October 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM · Report this
hans millionaire 11
BBQ Squirrel
Thanks to Todd Smith for sending in this recipe.

~ 4 squirrels, quartered
~ 3 tbsp salt
~ 2 tsp pepper
~ 1 tsp garlic powder
~ 1 tsp onion powder
~ your favorite dry rub
~ 15 charcoal briquets
~ 3 handfuls hickory chips
~ your favorite bbq sauce

In a large pot, boil the squirrel in water seasoned with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder for 1 hour or until tender.

In the meantime, soak the hickory chips in water. Light the charcoal and let them get white hot. Place them to one side of your grill.

Remove the squirrel from the water and pat dry. Coat with your favorite dry rub.

Add one handful of wood chips to the hot coals.

Place squirrel on grill across from the hot coals. Cover and smoke for 1 hour. Add a handful of wood chips every half hour.

Add last of the wood chips and baste squirrel with bbq sauce. Smoke for another half hour basting another 3 - 4 times.

Serve with mashed potatoes, sweet corn and buttermilk bisquits.

Enjoy!
Posted by hans millionaire on October 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Does it pee on stuff?

I've never before considered the bathroom habits of squirrels.
Posted by SeattleSeven on October 20, 2011 at 2:55 PM · Report this
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on October 20, 2011 at 2:57 PM · Report this
Vince 14
@12 He looks like he's about to take a dump from that chair right into the seat. Squirrel presents!
Posted by Vince on October 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM · Report this
Suz 15
I didn't know I needed (NEEDED) a pet squirrel until I read this most. Must. Have.
Posted by Suz on October 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM · Report this
leek 16
Ostentatious? Is that really the word you wanted? Confused.
Posted by leek on October 20, 2011 at 3:12 PM · Report this
@3, not even Richard Gere would mistake a squirrel for a gerbil.
Posted by gloomy gus on October 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 18
Invariably, whenever there is a post about a cute little animal (a squirrel, a bunny, whatever), someone has to make a comment about, "..looks like dinner to me." And although the first or second time was mildly amusing, the frequency and the certainty with which it happens here on Slog makes me wonder if those commenters don't have their own little "labs" in their basements.
Posted by Bauhaus I on October 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM · Report this
doloresdaphne 19
Why do you have this squirrel? where is it's mother?
Posted by doloresdaphne on October 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Having had a squirrel as a pet I can confidently confirm it is indeed one of the best pets anyone could ever have.
Posted by Qaisadilla on October 20, 2011 at 3:16 PM · Report this
PTrig 21
In Ohio it would be shot.
Posted by PTrig on October 20, 2011 at 3:19 PM · Report this
Geni 22
My cats think a squirrel would make an excellent pet. They tell me so, every time they see one through the windows. "Get me that! I want it now!"
Posted by Geni on October 20, 2011 at 3:22 PM · Report this
More, I Say! 23
@16, From Merriam-Webster:

Ostentatious: marked by or fond of conspicuous or vainglorious and sometimes pretentious display.

I think sassy squirrel qualifies.

I too am beguiled by the thoughts of squirrel husbandry. I had a pet baby squirrel for a day, before I dropped him at the emergency vet centre for wild animals. He was not soft, in case anyone is wondering.
Posted by More, I Say! on October 20, 2011 at 3:25 PM · Report this
@ 17, sorry.
Posted by sall on October 20, 2011 at 3:33 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 25
Remember, don't let your baby squirrel eat your Chia Troll.

You might wake up and find only the Chia Troll remaining, and no squirrel ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 20, 2011 at 3:55 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 26
That blonde with the tits on Beverly Hillbillies used to do the same thing. Good times.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on October 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM · Report this
Stiny 27
I love squirrels, but the closest I've come to having one for a pet are my prairie dogs. I guess they're ground squirrels. Much fatter and with stumpy little tails, but the vocalizations are SO adorable.

I'll save that recipe, though, for the next time they dig a hole in the wall or shred my sandals or steal my satin slips.
Posted by Stiny on October 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM · Report this
@24, no worries, I'm sorry if that seemed bristly. (As the gerbil might have said...)
Posted by gloomy gus on October 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM · Report this
This post is going to break my husband's heart. Real people, with a squirrel pet, right here in Seattle?! All that dude wants is a squirrel to hang out with.
Posted by royalpigeon on October 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 30
Are you sure this is even ethical/safe long term? I mean it's not a fucking cat or a dog...it's a squirrel, you know a wild animal, small and cute yes, but a wild animal.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM · Report this
wisepunk 31
When I lived in Greenlake, my roomies and I trained a wild squirrel to come to the door to ask for a peanut. After about a year we had it trained to take them from our hands. Then summer came around, and our friend, "Rat", as we had named him, got brave enough to come into the house. Before we moved you could yell "come on Rat!" out the door and he came running.

I always wondered what the people who moved in after us thought about Rat coming in the house and darting around. I hope they freaked...
Posted by wisepunk on October 20, 2011 at 6:37 PM · Report this
merry 32
@ 19 - Click the link in the post. Whole story, right there.

@ 28 - LOL
Posted by merry on October 20, 2011 at 6:38 PM · Report this
That's not what ostentatious means. Go back to college.
Posted by eroggen on October 20, 2011 at 6:50 PM · Report this
Certainly! 34
@30 - How do you think cats and dogs came to be domesticated and no longer wild animals? Magic?
Posted by Certainly! on October 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM · Report this
How long do squirrels live? Rats make great pets, but only live two or three years on average.
Posted by jpshakes on October 20, 2011 at 8:37 PM · Report this
in-frequent 36
Where does it poop and pee?
Posted by in-frequent on October 20, 2011 at 10:07 PM · Report this
Just Jeff 37
Plus I understand that they're DELICIOUS!
Posted by Just Jeff on October 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM · Report this
Keister Button 38
Don't let the City of Seattle know you have Scooter -- the mere mention of him will make the Animal Control Unit charge you a flat $60 annual license for keeping him. Even if feeding him doesn't cost as much as $60/year.
Posted by Keister Button on October 21, 2011 at 8:29 AM · Report this
Womyn2me 39
I have eaten squirrel many times in my youth in West Virginia. I left as soon as I could.

But I think I need to hear an answer to the 'potty training a squirrel' question someone else asked. details, man, details.
Posted by Womyn2me http://http:\\www.shelleyandlaura.com on October 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 40
@38 say it's a Furry Chicken or a Pot-Bellied Squirrel Pig.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 21, 2011 at 9:41 AM · Report this