despicable me 1
Good to hear, thanks for the update. The length of his sentence certainly indicates to me that he deserves a more restricted confinement. IMO he's still getting off way too easy with a minimum security prison.

“They are spartan environments, they are isolated from the people you care most about. It’s a tough transition to make.”

Boo hoo hoo. What about the victims of these criminals? No one seems to think about the lives of those who were bilked or defrauded and what a rough transition it is for them when they've lost hundreds of thousands of dollars that they planned to retire on. The 4 former clients of my then accounting firm who were sent to prison lived cushy lives off of someone else's hard earned money and not 1 of them at their sentencing mentioned the real victims of their crime. All of them talked about how hard it had been on their families and how sorry they were their families had to suffer because of their actions.

And don't you just love that they call the federal prisons camp! Club Fed is so lax but it's a really tough transition. Oh, please, maybe they should have thought about doing time BEFORE they committed the crime.
Posted by despicable me on December 8, 2011 at 9:39 AM · Report this
Vince 2
@1 Hear, hear! I couldn't agree more.
Posted by Vince on December 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 3
So, does this mean Patti's now available? Because I think she's kinda hot.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on December 8, 2011 at 11:35 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 4
@1,

I missed the part where Blagojevich defrauded people out of their life savings.
Posted by keshmeshi on December 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM · Report this
despicable me 5
keshmeshi, that part of my comment was specifically referring to the 4 men I know personally who went to federal prison for tax fraud, embezzlement, etc. I mentioned it in yesterday's post.

Fifty-Two-Eighty, I'm wondering why she stuck with him this long.
Posted by despicable me on December 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM · Report this
lark 6
CF,
I'm from Chicago, IL and I, too was somewhat surprised by the tough sentence. Even Gov. Quinn gave Blago no empathy. What a fall from grace! What troubles me though, is that the state of Illinois from my understanding has had four of the last nine governors go to prison after their terms! That's a dubious distinction.
Posted by lark on December 8, 2011 at 12:46 PM · Report this
venomlash 7
@6: As Jon Stewart pointed out, you are more likely to go to jail in Illinois if you become the governor than if you commit a murder.
Posted by venomlash on December 8, 2011 at 3:44 PM · Report this
@DM: I suspect that the folks you knew who got Club Fed were in the prison farm situation, not the minimum security situation, that's all. Private felons, who defraud people but aren't elected officials, get lighter/easier sentences because they're just con men, not betrayers of the whole public. Or so the logic goes. I agree that white collar criminals ought to do the same hard time that violent criminals do (just make sentences equal to dollar amounts: then your armed robber who does four years for sticking up a liquor store sets a floor for the banker who bilks people out of millions. The stickup man gets four years, the banker four million). But the bankers write the laws, so that's not gonna happen.
Posted by Chicago Fan on December 8, 2011 at 5:46 PM · Report this
despicable me 9
Completely logical and I'm sure you're right, CF. Private sector vs elected official, the 2 cases aren't an apples to apples comparison.

2 of the men in the 22 year old case I mentioned are now Attorney's, 1 owns a restaurant and an avocado/horse ranch and the 4th drowned on a river rafting trip. I've never heard a dollar figure for how much any of them had to pay in restitution to their victims.
Posted by despicable me on December 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM · Report this