emor 1
This is my kind of book. Pointless and interesting knowledge.
Posted by emor on December 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM · Report this
this guy I know in Spokane 2
Reminds me of a joke from Highlights when I was a kid:

-I have an uncle in Alaska.
-Nome?
-Of course I know him.
-No, I mean Nome in Alaska.
-Sure. I'd know him anywhere.

Ah, Highlights... that was some good stuff, before I discovered Dorothy Parker...
Posted by this guy I know in Spokane on December 12, 2011 at 1:28 PM · Report this
So, what's the book?
Posted by palamedes on December 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM · Report this
Isn't this just what we used to call an encyclopedia before the Internet came along?
Posted by Mason on December 12, 2011 at 3:04 PM · Report this
From Canadian reader-via wikipedia:
Canada

In Canada, the term shinplaster was widely used for 25-cent paper monetary notes which circulated in the 19th century and early 20th century. The first design was printed on March 1st, 1870 and the final design was firstprinted on July 2nd, 1923.

Posted by Sam - a canadian reader on December 12, 2011 at 6:20 PM · Report this
bedipped 6
@5
And four of those would get you a badger or a maple leaf?

from 1814 googlebook
The Columbian Union: Consisting of General and Particular Explanations of Government
"But thank God, Columbian farmers will be free; as at the revolution when our common country, conquered our British cities of commerce, of war and of tories; no matter for their banks of horded up cash, their palaces of cuddled up superfluities, luxuries and cowardly folly; the farmers, free and brave, expansive, friendly and unanimous, will conquer; our revolution gave them numbers, our constitution gave them guns, and God gives them money ; no matter for the shinplasters of British banks among us. On farmers credit issues the currency of their liberty; if all their cities ire laid in British ruin, our common country's rights, they never will surrender to commercial masters, but commerce shall yield to the voice of the farmer, as at the revolution it did, when all our cities, though invested with British armies, British commerce and British ruin yielded to our conquering fathers, who retrenched from luxury and superfluous folly, the patriotic lawyer, the domestic trader and free preacher retrenched from their foreign commercial party of French and British influence and tories, and joined the third and union class of farmers under their Washington banners of agricultural love and numbers: fought and conquered with freemen's paper, with farmers clubs, and noble souls."
Posted by bedipped on December 12, 2011 at 8:10 PM · Report this
I grew up on this book. We had it on the bookshelf at home. I think my mother got it when it first came out.
Posted by margotdarby on February 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM · Report this