Line Out Comments

Estey 1
That's a damned good 45. Why the hell not? Better this than some sappy Elvis or Beatles song.
Posted by Estey on December 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 2
They've made you a moron.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on December 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM · Report this
Just Jeff 3
OCCUPY THE SEX PISTOLS OVER-PRICED VIDEO COLLECTION!!!
Posted by Just Jeff on December 15, 2011 at 11:21 AM · Report this
Estey 4
Not that I've ever paid more than $10 for a 45.
Posted by Estey on December 15, 2011 at 11:35 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 5
Someone tried to sell the Necros "Sex Drive" 7" (Touch and Go # 1, 100 copies made) and The Fix 7" (T&G #2, 200 copies made) together in one lot on eBay, with a "buy it now" price of $8000. That was about two years ago, and it didn't sell. The seller's description was full of how he needed the money but didn't really want to sell those records... given that he set the price instead of letting bidding happen, I guess so.
Posted by Matt from Denver on December 15, 2011 at 11:44 AM · Report this
the most valuable record in the world is the Double Fantasy that John Lennon signed for Mark David Chapman. It even has NYPD evidence markings on it. it was already sold once before for $150k

but yeah that's just a common item that became historical. the sex pistols record is prob the rarest

Posted by Skit on December 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM · Report this
Dougsf 7
@5 - Pretty classic tale of hardcore uber-collector weirdness. Even if money were no object, the more cynical side of me can't help but think of the slim chance there's still a drummer out there sitting on a box of these.
Posted by Dougsf on December 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 8
@ 7, that's always the rumor (or at least the excuse given when bootlegs hit the market), but I trust that they would have "found" those records a long time ago, if only because they would have needed the money sometime in the past 30 years.

OTOH, the Necros in-band feuding has STILL kept those records out of print to this day. Maybe Corey Rusk has a box - he seems like he'd hold onto it out of spite.

My favorite eBay auction to date was when Chuck Dukowski sold his personal, unopened copy of the first press of "Nervous Breakdown." He got $4300 for that.
Posted by Matt from Denver on December 15, 2011 at 12:47 PM · Report this
Keekee 9
I'm not so sure that Lydon could afford that...
Posted by Keekee on December 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM · Report this
@9 He could, with some help from his wife, who's mega-rich.
Posted by Dave Segal on December 15, 2011 at 1:24 PM · Report this
Dougsf 11
@8 - Good points, and while I'm not in the market for anything approaching these prices, that Fix 45 is a perfect example of my sometimes twisted and cynical internal logic (these dicks deserve it!) as I download a rip of something for my own use, or grab a guaranteed to be pressed off center boot to I can play it out where it's quite likely it will be drunkenly dropped on the floor.
Posted by Dougsf on December 15, 2011 at 2:13 PM · Report this
Fnarf 12
There are all kinds of rare blues 78s that are in this neighborhood, and more recently some Northern Soul 45s are getting up there. Go ask Nipper what's the most he's ever seen one go for.

I used to own an original butcher cover "'Yesterday'...And Today", second state (pasted over with the trunk photo), that I got as a kid and played 100,000 times unawares. In the late seventies I got really stoned and peeled the cover off by rubbing a wet fingertip on it, tearing it slightly in a dozen places and nearly totally destroying the value of the thing. If I'd left it alone it would be worth several grand today; instead I sold it for more dope in 1977 or 78. Such a genius.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 15, 2011 at 2:17 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 13
Fnarf, you can find 2nd state butcher covers for a reasonable price. I think I paid $250 for mine.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on December 15, 2011 at 5:57 PM · Report this
mackro 14
100% fucking honest: the A&M Sex Pistols single was my choice.
My second choice was the mono vinyl for Elvis Preskey's "Speedway" soundtrack.
Posted by mackro http://mackro.blogspot.com on December 15, 2011 at 6:52 PM · Report this
Dougsf 15
You can track this stuff here if you'd like.

I used to use this as a rough guide until I realized in certain cases, once the TWO dudes that wanted that damn record each get their hands on a copy, subsequent copies aren't "worth" as much.

Also, it seems there's been a handful of records this year alone to top that $15k price—two being Sex Pistols rarities—by a fairly wide margin.
Posted by Dougsf on December 15, 2011 at 7:07 PM · Report this