He was just elected back into the seat, after having been voted out in 2007. He won a recount by 30 votes, and he's trying to stem the Latino influx into a traditionally Italian-American community. I voted for the incumbent, his opponent, precisely because she was trying to move the EHPD into the 20th century. (Our local paper had an article yesterday which stated that EHPD's training manual and operating guidelines dated from 1973.)
Posted by East Haven Stranger reader. on January 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 2
"Your police force has been indicted for harassment and abuse of the gay community. What are you going to do for this community?"

"I might eat a bag of dicks when I go home."

That would have been the only possible more outlandish scenario...
Posted by Cracker Jack on January 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM · Report this
David Schmader 3
Cracker Jack wins!
Posted by David Schmader on January 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM · Report this
What is with Mario Diaz' terrible terrible speaking style? Cut out all the weird inappropriate pauses, dickweed.
Posted by beef rallard on January 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 5
What a douchebag.

Still, tacos sound pretty good right now. Yum.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM · Report this
having tacos is slang for eating pussy, goldy, you clueless faggot
Posted by no wonder your wife dumped your ass on January 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM · Report this
djx 7
Wow, that's real? It seemed like a parody video. I guess I just have a hard time believing that people can be so oblivious of the words coming out of their mouths.
Posted by djx on January 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 8
@5, Tacos DO sound good. But I have two thawed chicken thighs I have to cook before they go bad.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on January 25, 2012 at 2:00 PM · Report this
@2 - lol!!

Maybe the reporter should have asked him if his Mexican food was made of real Mexicans? (That is a more likely scenario when you see how these evil people treat minorities as underserving of human rights.)

Posted by subwlf on January 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM · Report this
Captain Wiggette 10
FYI: His town's Latino population is Ecuadorian. Tacos are not a common Ecuadorian food.

This isn't even halfway competent racism. I mean, the LEAST he could have done was get his racist stereotypes correct.

#racismfail
Posted by Captain Wiggette on January 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
Holy shit, that was the most painful thing I've seen since Perry stopped doing debates.
Posted by Mr. Happy Sunshine on January 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM · Report this
What Now? 12
"Or I might have spaghetti."

Ohhh nice save Mr Mayor!
Posted by What Now? http://voterocky.org on January 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM · Report this
ferret 13
I have been to East Haven, given it is across the Quinnipiac, besides it is where the New Haven Airport is located. It is a middle class to working class town, with a mix of the town green, and church in the middle of town as many New England town/villages. I am not surprised by this arrogance, given many small town New England police forces act like a power of their own. This situation is more like the PD was warned a couple times, and took this F*ck You mentality, even a couple forces like the priest who helped his parishioners and the Yale Law School were watching them.

The problem for prosecution is they are going to have a problem getting non bias jury around West Haven, Orange and Bridgeport.
Posted by ferret http://https://twitter.com/#!/okojo on January 25, 2012 at 3:23 PM · Report this
Jenny from the Block 14
@8 CHICKEN TACOS!!!
Posted by Jenny from the Block on January 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM · Report this
Andy 15
The mayor then went on to say: "For me, the humor comes largely from the fact that the joke is offensive. It amused me, and since there is nothing inherently disparaging about this stereotype (everybody eats food), I let my self-amusement be my guide. So while I'm sorry that more people found it offensive than funny, I'm not going to disown it. Not every joke works. But you never know until you put it out there."
Posted by Andy on January 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM · Report this
Ian Awesome 16
I love tacos, but I do not love this mayor.
Posted by Ian Awesome http://oneangryqueer.blogspot.com on January 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM · Report this
YakHerder 17
Seriously, props to the tenacious journalist for calling out a pol on his bullshit.
Posted by YakHerder on January 25, 2012 at 9:41 PM · Report this