Phoebe in Wallingford 1
Ellen is great in the Cover Girl ads, no doubt that she'll do a great job with JCP. She has glamour.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 2
I wonder how many moms really belong to One Million Moms. Maybe I'll start a group called One Million Engineers. People will listen to me then.

This just in: a survey of a majority of members of the trade association One Million Engineers confirmed that global warming is real and automobile infrastructure harms cities.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on February 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM · Report this
Shop Penneys!
Posted by tniel on February 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM · Report this
very bad homo 4
How could anyone not love Ellen?
Posted by very bad homo on February 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM · Report this
JC Penney doesn't give a shit

JC Penney is the honey badger?

Seriously, though, good on them.
Posted by MLM on February 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM · Report this
venomlash 6
Fun fact: the original JC Penney store is still open, in a town of 2500 people called Kemmerer, Wyoming. I've been there; it's a quaint little building very unlike more modern department store layouts.
Posted by venomlash on February 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM · Report this
Zebes 7
Good on Penney's. I am more likely to shop there because of this, even if they mix it up wih a creepy "town hall" and mini stores-within-a-store.

Also, simply hiring Ellen is taking a stand in the culture wars? Wouldn't firing her based on the outrage of a bunch of conservatives be just as much a partisan act? Oh One Million Moms, you do go on.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on February 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM · Report this
These are the same people that accuse gays of making everything about their sexuality. What? Did the JCP ad say "COME LOOK AT OUR AMAZING HOMOSEXUAL AND BUY THINGS."
Posted by YoSoyComoSoy on February 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM · Report this
Allyn 9
Doesn't Ellen have a pretty popular afternoon tv show? Considering the large number of moms who don’t work, can we assume that a few of those million or so moms are watching Ellen? It’s possible that the only people who watch her show are dancing queens, but I have the suspicion that Ellen’s appeal is pretty strong.
Posted by Allyn on February 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM · Report this
I think it's now safe to say that most "traditional" families (i.e. NOT THEM FUCKIN' FAAAAGS) don't care if a company sponsor is gay or not.
Posted by The CHZA on February 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM · Report this
I think I'll go buy some stuff from JC Penney this weekend.
Posted by tacomagirl on February 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM · Report this
internet_jen 12
LOL, I like those types of screaming montages.
Posted by internet_jen on February 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM · Report this
nicholaus 13
@5 I love it!
Posted by nicholaus on February 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM · Report this
dirac 14
@8 Haha. That was good.

I still don't like JCP's merch but glad they have a spine. I don't really understand the Ellen hate. She came out publicly like 20 years ago and she's still more relevant and likable than One Million Moms.
Posted by dirac on February 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM · Report this
David Schmader 15
I heart YoSoyComoSoy.
Posted by David Schmader on February 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM · Report this
AmyC 16
i clicked the link to see the ad while my itunes was playing mozart's requiem...it was actually pretty awesome. lol.
Posted by AmyC on February 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM · Report this
rob! 17
@6: Almost identical to the one in my dusty corner of the West. An okay place for dino-diggin' duds when you're in the middle of nowhere.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on February 3, 2012 at 12:31 PM · Report this
merry 18
Poor silly bigots.

When will they understand that they and their precious exclusionist beliefs are DINOSAURS and have NO PLACE in modern society?

I am heartily SICK of 'religious outrage'. You can take your 'religious outrage' and put it where the sun don't shine, baby. Keep your filthy hate out of my life, thank you.
Posted by merry on February 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM · Report this
One Million Moms is a couple of dudes in a basement. No one cares. Pennys is modernizing, which I really like.
Posted by jedifarfy on February 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM · Report this
Something tells me that JC Penney puts more faith in their own market research than what a murky handful of Internet yahoos have to say about the appeal of Ellen DG.
Posted by newjim on February 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 21
Good for Penny's but I still think their stores are fucking cluster fuck messes of shit that I'd never want to shop in.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on February 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM · Report this
In2ishn 22
I really hate shopping. I really need a pair of jeans. I'm going to stop putting off shopping and go to Penney's tomorrow. It's been DECADES since I've been there.

Go Ellen!