eastcoastreader 1
"he tells other people how to live their lives"

wow, and NO sense of irony when he says that, uh?
Posted by eastcoastreader on February 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM · Report this
AmyC 2
"this president thinks he's the smartest guy in the room"

yeah. cuz that's exactly what we don't want in a president. a person who actually is the smartest guy in the room. *headdesk*
Posted by AmyC on February 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 3
You forgot to mention the other obvious deal-breaker: women bleed. It's the ick factor. Because – as all men know – bleeding indicates injury and possible death.

Plus, women bring forth new life. Men can't do that, so have to stop women in other ways to make themselves feel special. And being a priest has been a boys-only, girls stay out treehouse ... er, I meant ... profession.
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on February 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM · Report this
balderdash 4
You know, if this dipshit really thinks that church-going, "God Bless America"-spouting Obama is "hostile" to religion - not that I think he actually believes his own talking points - I wonder if his head would just straight-up explode if someone explained atheists to him.

Also, you know, one would think that, at least in the modern age, if the Catholic Church made it clear that they don't want or respect women, women would reciprocate. This seems like it ought to be a self-resolving issue.
Posted by balderdash on February 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM · Report this
Vince 5
I wish Obama would stop giving the church tax money and instead tax the fuckers and use the money for abortions.
Posted by Vince on February 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM · Report this
Ubiquita 6
Before I comment I have to confess (and boy are we Catholics good at this!) that I am a walking oxymoron, emphasis on the moron, because I am a feminist Catholic. While the shit (ha!) that Santorum spews is hilarious, I would like to go to that crazy crazy world where religions would be forced to ordain people that they did not consider qualified. Why? For the Catholics, at least, it would force them to state in the glare of public scrutiny all of their 'reasons' for eliminiating a whole class of people from a religious calling. Sigh!
Posted by Ubiquita on February 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM · Report this
Keister Button 7
@6 You're there with "morons" Sr Joan Chittister and Rosemary R. Ruether. I have mastered stifling sniggers when I hear requests for "priestly vocations." 79% of Seattle priests would welcome an open discussion of the mandatory celibacy rule for diocesan priests (might lead to making the vow of celibacy optional), the Roman Catholic Church is welcoming married priests from the Orthodox Church to amp up staffing. There's nothing in the Mass, or administering of Sacraments that requires an Adam's apple or a penis.

Me, I would like to see religions eliminate "special body part coverings" and mutilations for both men and women, and just focus on developing and increasing acts of love, mercy and charity in phobic, narcissistic societies. I'm a bigger moron, I know.
Posted by Keister Button on February 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM · Report this
Ubiquita 8
@7 You put me in lofty company, the compliment is appreciated. I agree also with your statement, but it is sometimes tough to pull yourself out of the mire of the ecclesiatical crap and remember that my eschatological purpose is to make/percieve every moment one full of love and pregnant with possibility and then act on it. If this is moronic, count me in.

And, just cause it's awesome, I try to remember Dorothy Day who said, 'Don't call me a saint - I don't want to be dismissed that easily.'
Posted by Ubiquita on February 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM · Report this
venomlash 9
Yeah! Let's put oranges on their seder plates!
Posted by venomlash on February 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM · Report this
This seems to be a pattern with Santorum: take two things that have some things in common but are not at all the same, and make a blanket assertion on the basis of no evidence that they are inextricably linked and one will inevitably lead to the other. It's obviously bullshit from a logical perspective, but that doesn't stop him, because he doesn't think logically, he thinks in emotional prejudices.
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on February 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM · Report this
the idiot formerly known as kk 11
The New Testament is full of women leaders. There is no reason at all why women shouldn't become priests. And if some idiot says it's because the first 12 apostles were men, well, they were also all Jews. And Peter, the first head of the church, was married. So the Catholic church should restrict the priesthood to Jews. And the Pope should be married. Actually, that would end a lot of their stupid bullshit.
Posted by the idiot formerly known as kk on February 8, 2012 at 6:25 PM · Report this
'I'm sorry, Wendy, but I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.'
Posted by NateMan on February 9, 2012 at 6:54 AM · Report this