Posted by suddenlyorcas on February 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM · Report this
No torches tonight?
Posted by Ken Mehlman on February 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM · Report this
@2: Reports of flares via the hashtag on twitter.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on February 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM · Report this
More fools who think that picking fights with working class city cops will bring revolution.
Posted by ryanmm on February 8, 2012 at 8:29 PM · Report this
Cephalodude 5
I think we should trail behind the "protesters" with megaphones broadcasting fart noises.
Posted by Cephalodude on February 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM · Report this
@4 Everyone should have a hobby.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on February 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM · Report this
DOUG. 7
@4: Ian Birk was a "working class city cop"...
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on February 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM · Report this
@7: What's your point? I assume it was cut off by the ellipsis.
Posted by doceb on February 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM · Report this
emor 9
"All cops are bastards" :: "All abaechists are embarrassing dipshits."
Posted by emor on February 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM · Report this
seandr 10
If they were actually marching, like, in unison, I'd be impressed.
Posted by seandr on February 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM · Report this
the government sucks and stuff, man.
Posted by Conrad McMasters on February 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM · Report this

40 anarchists.

All chanting the same thing, and marching on cue.

With a police escort.

At a specified time and place.

That is truly a vision of "anarchy".

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on February 8, 2012 at 10:32 PM · Report this
TotesFierce 13
@4: I don't know if I'd necessarily consider someone making a minimum of $64K a year "working class."

Posted by TotesFierce http://fag4life.com on February 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM · Report this
I'd like to know how many of those marchers would elect not to call the "bastards" if they were assaulted, or their home invaded, car stolen, menaced by a gunman, etc. Would they accept help from the bastards then? Reminds me of the PETA people. Until they swear off all modern medicine, much of which was developed with animal testing, I don't want to hear about it.

I would be so much more sympathetic if they chanted "some cops are bastards."
Posted by ohthetrees on February 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM · Report this
Jubilation T. Cornball 15
Salary wars!!!
Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball on February 8, 2012 at 11:25 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 16
13, why not? 64k a year isn't all that much money. Or do you think cops should make $14 bucks an hour?
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM · Report this
cracked 17
They have to participate in a minimum of one demonstration a month to meet the terms of their contracts with the feds.
Posted by cracked on February 9, 2012 at 12:02 AM · Report this
cracked 18
Maybe it is two demonstrations and at least one window breaking. I'm sure some of them will be assigned by their government supervisors back to the Northeast once the weather gets better.
Posted by cracked on February 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM · Report this
JensR 19
You guys have adorable anarchists :)
(Honest, its like watching a rewind version of 1993 everywhere else.)

@13 then you haven't grasped the idea of the Marxian (as opposed to marxist) class theory. Its not Weber, where you take the income as the sole base for defining class belonging but a simplification of society as a way to define it and the way it works.
Posted by JensR http://ohyran.se on February 9, 2012 at 12:11 AM · Report this
Goddesses, I am so fucking tired of these kids.

DO SOMETHING WORTHWHILE.

Look up the Montgomery Bus Boycott, do something like that. This shit? This breaking windows, marching up Broadway shit? Doesn't accomplish a fucking thing.

You know what works REAL well?

It's cliche as hell, but be the change you want to see.
Posted by dagard on February 9, 2012 at 1:14 AM · Report this
Lord Basil 21
Some citizen militias should mobilize against these Marxist turds. Ditto OWS!
Posted by Lord Basil http://lordbasil.blogspot.com/ on February 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM · Report this
What Now? 22
I don't see any indication -- here, on Twitter, at the OS website or facebook page -- that this was organized as an Occupy Seattle event.

I'm relieved that these protesters did not march under an "Occupy Seattle" banner.

As Chris Hedges argues in a recent article and in a conversation with one organizer with Occupy Oakland on KPFA yesterday, Occupy will only succeed as a nonviolent, mainstream movement that is accessible and appealing to a vast majority of Americans.

Hedges makes the case that if Black Bloc or other confrontational tactics become the face of Occupy, it will alienate the mainstream and fail.

If people feel compelled to organize and protest for a different cause, that is certainly their prerogative. I would hope that the organizers of any such action would make it clear that it is distinct from Occupy.
Posted by What Now? http://voterocky.org on February 9, 2012 at 1:48 AM · Report this
JensR 23
@21 not to put you off your "citizen militia high" or anything but I think they are non-marxist anarchists... you know liberterian socialism perhaps but with a Bakuninist streak a mile wide that turns them off marxism?

On the other hand... a sure fire way to make damn certain theres more of them/us/you is to create an opposition. So ... sure... go for it.
Posted by JensR http://ohyran.se on February 9, 2012 at 2:34 AM · Report this
Being bored with these fools is a position I share with these cops.
Posted by giffy on February 9, 2012 at 2:39 AM · Report this
Andy Niable 25
2012: The Prattle in Seattle
Posted by Andy Niable on February 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM · Report this
watchout5 26
@14 "I'd like to know how many of those marchers would elect not to call the "bastards" if they were assaulted, or their home invaded, car stolen, menaced by a gunman, etc."

It would happen to be so that I know a few of these people. Many if not all of them have been assaulted by the government. Had their home invaded by the government. Had their car stolen and/or tracked by the government. Menaced by a gunman HOLY SHIT DID YOU KNOW THAT POLICE OFFICERS HAVE GUNS! AND THEY MENACE! It's almost like they're human beings and have independent thoughts that aren't "I must protect the constitution" even while on their shift. Imagine that, in trying to snark against someone you have no idea what their life story is you pretty much described exactly why these people march at all. I'm sure they'd be proud

P.S. While it's extraordinary easy to point to good cops and say, hey, it's impossible for all cops to be evil and horrible, but to try and make the claim that ALL cops are worthy of praise I need only direct you to this video where cops repeatedly break the law, steal, cheat, kill all because they don't think they're being watched, and the vast majority get away with no punishment what so ever AND YES THE CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTRY HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE ANGRY WHEN JUSTICE FAILS. If you think cops are above the law I feel sorry for you, that's what these people are protesting (heaven forbid you should try to talk with one and understand their world view at all), the cops who willfully break the law and abuse their power for their own benefit. If those evil cops weren't around, you wouldn't have a small group of SO CALLED ANARCHISTS (I thought we were still calling them the heart and soul of the occupy movement? what the fuck ever stranger) running around talking about how evil the cops were. Even if we still did, at least I couldn't point to an almost 100 year long history of cops who are allowed to murder, cheat, lie and steal their way to escaping justice because of who they know. Be angry at the corruption, not the people trying to educate you about the police state we live in.
More...
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on February 9, 2012 at 5:09 AM · Report this
Kinison 27
It takes brave douchebag assholes to march in the most liberal neighborhood in the most liberal city in the state. Keep coddling these cowards Mr Mayor and City Council.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on February 9, 2012 at 5:32 AM · Report this
BLUE 28
There must be ice cream
Posted by BLUE on February 9, 2012 at 7:37 AM · Report this
@26 I never claimed all cops were wonderful. As I said, I'd be a lot more sympathetic to a "some cops are bastards" message. Personally, I'm a critic of the SPD, and believe they have an unacceptably high percentage of bad apples, and need a house-cleaning, starting at the top. . But it is absurd, insulting, and unrealistic to claim that all, most, or even the majority of cops are bastards. Most are good people who do a difficult and dangerous job very honorably. But yes, we should clear out the rot.
Posted by ohthetrees on February 9, 2012 at 7:58 AM · Report this
@14: By virtue of not speaking out against their "comrades" who do evil, *all* cops are indeed bastards. It's simply the club they choose to join by choosing to stay silent.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on February 9, 2012 at 8:32 AM · Report this
There's the absolutism I was waiting for @30.
Posted by gloomy gus on February 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM · Report this
Ah. The intellectual rigor of the Right Wing as delightfully demonstrated by #21.

See Mr. Basil, Marxists are "Statists." I know you won't look it up so I'll tell you what that means.

It means a Marxist believes in a strong central governmental authority. Y'know. A government that can control via coercive methods all that former private property that those dirty commies hate so much.

While an Anarchist is staunchly opposed to any strong central government or large authority which utilizes coercion to gain compliance to it's laws. They are ANIT-statist.

So you see Marxists and Anarchists are directly opposite ideas of how a society should function.

Anarchists, in point of fact, have much more in common with libertarians. Much more in common with the Tea Party of the Right than anything from the left.

The more you know, right?

Ironic that a right winger all high on "Freedom!" uses the handle with "Lord" in it. A title with distinct totalitarian aristocratic roots - precisely the sort of thing America was founded to oppose.

It's true. Facts have that notorious liberal bias.
Posted by tkc on February 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM · Report this
ScienceNerd 33
@14 Totally agree

On a different note, I met a nice policeman last night on my way home thanks to the anarchists. The police had the entire block closed and I had to ask an escort to walk to me to my front door. Normally, I'm pretty anti-cop. The anarchists gave me a chance to talk to a cop on a personal level. He was a very nice fellow and I felt bad that I often lump all cops together as jerks with power trips.
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on February 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
Cops on bicycles, trailing anarchists ... on their tricycles?
Posted by RonK, Seattle on February 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM · Report this
cracked 35
Actually, @32 I think you are mixing up the words "Marxists" with the word "communists". You sound like you are describing communists a la Soviet Union or their satelites. But these distinctions mean very little to the people you are trying to educate anyway, because the American right and many of the rest too are a-historical and willfully disdainful of accurate knowledge. Its all about the feeling you can generate when you spout a word, pure lizard brain shit.
Posted by cracked on February 11, 2012 at 2:16 AM · Report this