Keekee 1
WoWsa! That is shockingly bad. Now I understand why people hate on Peta. Ugh.
Posted by Keekee on February 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 2
My girlfriend had the same reaction to this ad. It seems rather desperate if you have to consistently use naked or nearly naked women to draw attention to your cause.
Posted by Gern Blanston on February 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM · Report this
brandon 3
Interesting how vegans are suddenly known for their sexual prowess.

Posted by brandon on February 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
I really fucking hate PETA. And that's coming from a vegan of 11 years. It's like they have board meetings on how to make everybody hate us.
Posted by Cappelletti on February 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
blip 5
It's terrible but it's also all over the internet right now and here I am commenting on it. You've played us again, PETA. Well done.
Posted by blip on February 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
raku 6
I'm vegan, and I used to defend PETA when it was a nearly-naked woman in an ad against fur once in a while, but they've gotten completely out of control. They still do some good work around animal testing and whatnot, but their horrendous marketing overshadows all of it. At this point, I think they're too far gone to ever be a credible ally again. They were a great organization a decade or more ago.

Please don't equate vegans with PETA... most of us want nothing to do with them now and wish they'd go away.
Posted by raku on February 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM · Report this
As a straight redneck dude with a crass, sexualized sense of humor, that is jaw droppingly appalling. God bless rough sex, but a neck brace? WTF.
Posted by whomever whilst have me on February 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
@7, see, slamming women into walls is funny, however it happens.
Posted by EricaP on February 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 9
Stupid, and misleading ad.
Vegetarianism also may have some negative effects on sexual desire. Vegetarian diets tend to correlate with higher rates of zinc deficiency, which is closely associated with lower testosterone levels and depressed sex drives. Vegetarian women are also more likely to develop amenorrhea (loss of periods), a condition that's usually accompanied by low testosterone, vaginal dryness, and poor libido.

It's the western diet of fat and carbs that causes obesity, that can possibly lead to sexual dysfunction, not meat in and of itself. White meat, fish, and low fat dairy have been shown to improve health, (that can lead to better sex.) and overall life expectancy. That ad reminds me of the General Mills ads that tout that all their cereals have whole grain as their first ingredient, as if that makes Coco Puffs healthful.

Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on February 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Another vegan who feels the same as 6 here. It's kind of maddening. It's like PETA was somehow taken over by people with a secret agenda for making everyone hate us.
Posted by Actionsquid on February 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM · Report this
treacle 11
Yeah, neck brace, not funny, not even slightly comical. And the end of the ad...after she chucks the groceries, there's a tiny hint that they're gonna do it again. So gross. I too was vegan for 5 years. While I am now ethically omnivorous, I think PETA has gone off the rails marketing-wise. What sort of warped reality-bubble do they have going on up there?
Posted by treacle on February 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM · Report this
treacle 12
Oh, and Kelly O's point about treating women like pieces of meat is dead-on. They should have all read The Dreaded Comparison by now. No excuses.
Posted by treacle on February 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 13
You know what can really fuck up your sex life? A spinal cord injury.

Right there with you, @7.

I already hate PETA for a thousand reasons, and I've been trying to see if I could find a way to see the humor in this ad if I didn't know it was produced by them, but...nope. What an appalling, misogynist piece of shit.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM · Report this
David Schmader 14
I've been a vegetarian for 27 years but this ad makes me want to start eating meat just to distance myself from PETA.
Posted by David Schmader on February 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM · Report this
aardvark 15
those people need a bacon egg and cheese sandwich i had this morning and the steak cheese & sour cream burrito imma have for lunch.
Posted by aardvark on February 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM · Report this
blip 16
@9 This ad is misleading but that Slate article is even worse. The scientific journal that article links to makes no mention of zinc intake nor the effect of a vegetarian diet on sex drive and concludes "the health of Western vegetarians is good and similar to that of comparable non-vegetarians."
Posted by blip on February 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM · Report this
sirkowski 17
PeTA's ads are bad, but their work is worse.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on February 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 18
16, "Research shows that adequate zinc may protect against cellular damage that leads to prostate cancer," says Grotto. "Sexual functioning of the male reproductive system, including increased sperm counts, is also enhanced with zinc.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on February 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 19
Sorry, I didn't properly close my bold. But it's easy to google zinc and male sexual functioning to come up with many links that show that zinc affects men sexually. http://men.webmd.com/features/food-men-1…
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on February 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM · Report this
chimsquared 20
@4. They do represent vegans accurately. That's your problem.
Posted by chimsquared on February 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM · Report this
seandr 21
I think PETA is stupid whatever their marketing strategy, but how does this video "depict women as pieces of meat"?

Perhaps you're confusing "sexuality" with "sexism"?

@8: My internets must be broken, because I didn't see anyone slammed into a wall, just the implication of rough sex, followed at the very end by the suggestion that the woman was into it (gasp!).

Hasn't anyone here suffered minor injuries resulting from a vigorous fuck? Shit, my wife and I both have, and we're mostly pretty vanilla.

I'm going to file this thread in the same folder as the ones ranting against sexy halloween costumes.
Posted by seandr on February 15, 2012 at 1:38 PM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 22
21, perhaps you tuned out before they showed the guy patching the wall where her slammed through it?
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on February 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM · Report this
blip 23
@18 I'm not disputing the health effects of a low zinc diet, only the evidence cited to support it as a problem for vegetarians. The 'zinc deficiency' link in the Slate article connects to a pubmed link for a scientific review of the vegetarian diet that makes no mention of zinc deficiency in vegetarians nor of sexual dysfunction.
Posted by blip on February 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 24
That neck brace is so ill-fitted, it would probably -cause- injury. Looks like a mega-sized hipster necklace.

Nothing against vegans, really don't care what you eat, but why are so many of them didactic supercilious proselytizing assholes?
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on February 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM · Report this
seandr 25
@22: Indeed I did miss that. My bad.
Posted by seandr on February 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
venomlash 26
I'm sorry, manly men need lots of protein in order to build serious muscle, and it's difficult to get that much protein from a vegan diet, let alone getting all 20 AAs accounted for. Also, PETA is and continues to be horribly sexist.
@21: As the result of a minor sex accident, my girlfriend's upper incisor once made a small hole through my upper lip. We are more careful around headboards now. Just felt like sharing.
Posted by venomlash on February 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM · Report this
This ad makes me want to put a chicken in a very small cage just out of spite. But seriously, what the hell does PETA even stand for anymore?
Posted by Westside forever on February 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM · Report this
Fnarf 28
There's possible way a hot young blond chick like that would be able to find a willing sex partner without veganism being involved somehow, amiright?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Fnarf 29
@28, *no possible way. Sorry, sarcasm fail. I too am a piece of meat.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 30
@27 People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. It's an acronym.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on February 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM · Report this
Because they really do value animals over people.

I'm on team people.
Posted by RFSUP on February 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM · Report this
There's an interesting book, "The Sexual Politics of Meat" that addresses a range of issues surrounding meat, its production and consumption. Things like "manly men need to eat meat because men" get brought up too.
Posted by barfy cute on February 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM · Report this
doloresdaphne 33
In an era where publicity pays, and is paying more each day that viral youtube videos are becoming a moneyspinner, PETA is likely to become more successful even if everyone on the planet hates them and choses not to give them donations. The money will be generated by ads, from all the people who click on their publicity stunts.

Posted by doloresdaphne on February 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM · Report this
TVDinner 34
@26: You need to get nine amino acids from your food. The remaining eleven are synthesized by your body.

Another vegetarian (23 years) who wishes PETA would fuck off and die.

That said, those of you who complain about evangelizing vegetarians should see my Facebook feed. Every fucking day one of my friends is extolling the values of eating meat, be it bacon, their snazzy new fad diet, or some other bullshit they read on the interwebs. I have always taken the you-eat-that-shit-I'll-eat-this-shit approach to life, but I've never heard more whining in my life than I have from guilty carnivores these past few years.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on February 15, 2012 at 4:22 PM · Report this
Fnarf 35
@31, Morrissey, a big PETA donor and booster, thinks the Chinese are a "subspecies":

The guy at PETA responsible for most of the "outrageous" ads, Dan Mathews, has said that the most influential gay man who ever lived was Andrew Cunanan, because he stopped Versace from using fur (by murdering him).

Anti-human, indeed.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 36
Shouldn't vegans want to depict women as a piece of eggplant or perhaps a cauliflower and sunflower casserole?

In that sense, should a true vegan even "eat out" and get all those harmful proteins?

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on February 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM · Report this
curtisp 37
Peta is about sex. They just use animals to get laid. This ad reminds me to give to the Humane Society and dismiss Peta as an organization that is not serious.
Posted by curtisp on February 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 38
Pretty sure if Peta gave a shit what the Stranger thinks they'd have let us know years ago.

blah blah blah Peta blah blah pit bulls blah blah

What a repetitive blog.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on February 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM · Report this
Lola, Missing Iowa City 39
Mother of God - that is the most offensive thing I have seen in a *dog-long time.

*I just made that up. And I like it.
Posted by Lola, Missing Iowa City on February 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM · Report this
venomlash 40
@36: I've heard of vegans getting stomach upsets from swallowing after fellatio because their GI tracts aren't used to such protein-dense material.
Posted by venomlash on February 15, 2012 at 9:28 PM · Report this
Bad taste knows no dietary restrictions. Sexist ads abound in meat-based and vegan ads.

I'm not vegan, or vegetarian, and I donate to PETA. The printed materials i get from them are always tasteful/cute/heartbreaking ads of animals.

I'd have never seen this ad if The Slog hadnt published it.
Posted by Cassette tape fan on February 15, 2012 at 9:57 PM · Report this
venomlash 42
@41: I'm an unabashed omnivore with a predatory streak a mile long, but I care about animals and think that they should be protected and treated humanely. PETA is not the best way to get that done. They think that any sort of animal husbandry is oppressing the true nature of an animal which should instead roam wild and free beyond even the sight of humans. Team Plasma from Pokemon Gen. 5, which wants to take Pokemon away from people so that they can live wild and free? Pretty much the Pokequivalent of PETA.
Posted by venomlash on February 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM · Report this
Speaking as a quasi-vegan who spends a lot of time on vegan blogs and sites, there's a pretty significant subset of women who use veganism as an eating disorder: it's just another way for them them to restrict their food intake in the service of distorted body image. See the Skinny Bitch books. Big overlap between that contingent and PETA.
Posted by Prettybetsy on February 16, 2012 at 4:58 AM · Report this
@42 - are Pokemon vegetarian? well, i agree with ya, but view PETA as a far out group that pushes the boundaries to help balance and/or move the middle towards sensible behavior. i'm also a sucker for any fundraising that uses sad mistreated animals. but maybe i'll do more research into them before i donate again.
Posted by Cassette tape fan on February 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM · Report this
Badger 45
@44 You might want to check out this website http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

They have an axe to grind, but they are a good starting point to find out what the anti-PETA accusations are. From there you can do your own research.
Posted by Badger on February 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM · Report this
I could see an increase in women taking their boyfriends out for steak/burger/other-animal-parts just to avoid the fate of the poor girl in the ad. That's frankly a terrifying image they're sending.
Posted by MemeGene on February 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM · Report this