Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 1

Try this.

See how far you get to the exit after explaining its derivation to the customers.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on February 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM · Report this
There was an assembly called in my high school right after the 1999 niggardly incident, warning us to be careful about our choice of words... school is in Seattle, and I'm sure only a small handful of students had read that article in the paper.

principal didn't even even say what word he was warning us about... the whole thing was a complete farce.
Posted by TheVripper on February 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM · Report this
@1 You realize the implication of this line of thought is startlingly racist.

Firstly in using coy dog whistles, like minority neighborhood locations, to refer to black people.

And second implying that somehow all black people will completely lose hold of their senses and reflexively resort to physical violence when baited with a mere word.
Posted by tkc on February 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Griffin 4
Etymonline.com keeps telling me to tell you that you are making unauthorized use of their site and you should contact them to work something out when I click your links.

Posted by Griffin on February 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 5
the DC mayor's aide should have held on & refused to quit over such an absurdity. as usual for democrats, their first instinct is to fold - see ACORN.
Posted by Max Solomon on February 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM · Report this
Charles would have gazed at his navel for longer.
Posted by More About his thought pieces than his lineage on February 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM · Report this
Sure, and we shouldn't use the term "global warming" because it offends many Christians who believe it's impossible for humans to affect God's climate. In general, we must defer to ignorance.
Posted by rttm on February 27, 2012 at 11:22 AM · Report this
seatackled 8
I knew of the DC controversy, but now that I've read a report about it, I'm not sure it was even about the use of "niggardly"; it's what set things in motion, but from what I understand, this was a white guy working in a racially charged environment in which there was a question among African American citizens about the appointment of so many whites in the mayor's administration. The reason he got in hot water was because of the false rumor that he had actually used the N-word, and with the community expecting the worst from him, his appointment was doomed.

Race certainly played a role here, but basically, people seem to have been waiting for something to confirm their suspicions of him--he could have been photographed at a summer picnic where there was a watermelon in the background and he'd have been accused of racism.
Posted by seatackled on February 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM · Report this
Go into a convenience store in Rainier Beach, and criticize the pricing of a can of Pringles using the term."

Try this, go into a restaurant in Wallingford and yell 'there's too many crackers in here' when your soup comes out.
Posted by Crackers be whackers on February 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM · Report this
venomlash 10
@9: Well played, sir.
Posted by venomlash on February 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM · Report this
Apparently the main reason we can't use the word "niggardly" is because of the ignorance of blacks.
Posted by Wiggardly Persom on February 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM · Report this
You Look Like I Need A Drink! 12
If "a certain minority group" is so ignorant of the English language that they can't differentiate between the word niggardly and the N word then too bad for them!

Bastard is another perfectly legitimate word that most people with illegitimate children balk at too- methinks that is the next one to be banned.

Now let's talk about the word "renege"...
Posted by You Look Like I Need A Drink! on February 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Folks who use the word "scatological" should look up its etymology sometime...and people don't bat an eye when they hear it.
Posted by bobbelieu on February 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Beetlecat 14
@13 when does scatological ever get used out of proper context?
Posted by Beetlecat on February 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM · Report this
the duster 15
That 'fishhook' feeling you're referring to reminds me of a great footnote I read from Judith Jarvis Thomson, "...prose should be transparent, like a pane of glass through which one sees the thoughts behind it." When we hear words that have that affect, it is a smudge on that pane. Obviously if it has already been written we wouldn't want to scrub it from its original text, but I think there's standing reason to avoid using it in the future.
Posted by the duster on February 27, 2012 at 3:05 PM · Report this
venomlash 16
@12: "Bastard is another perfectly legitimate word"
>bastard
>legitimate
I see what you did there.
Posted by venomlash on February 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM · Report this
Zebes 17
I once got fired when my boss overheard me telling a coworker I was a member of a local chicken raising co-op. Having fresh eggs was always nice, but in retrospect, calling our group the Cool Clucks Clan was probably ill-advised.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on February 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM · Report this
la negra tiene tumbao
la mulata me vuelve loco
en cuba hay muchas frutas...yo prefiero el coco
la morena
el gordo y el flaco

Elefante mato a Tiburon
Posted by spanish - less p.c. on February 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM · Report this
Greg 19
Remember when people got all upset because they believed the urban legend that "picnic" was originally a term for lynching?
Posted by Greg on February 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM · Report this
A Magnolia Heron 20
@1 Or, the clerk and store patrons will continue about their business because they already know they etymology of the word. You actually made quite a racist assumption there, way to go.
Posted by A Magnolia Heron on February 28, 2012 at 5:21 AM · Report this
You Look Like I Need A Drink! 21
@20 You assume much too...
When my mother tried to teach her good (black) friend of 10 years how to play Pinochle, the lady flipped out/went all Rottweiler when she heard the word renege...
Ignorance is everywhere.
Posted by You Look Like I Need A Drink! on February 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this