ballard dude 1
Obama is gonna destroy whoever emerges from the Republican bloodbath!
Posted by ballard dude on February 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
seandr 2
It's on, baby!!
Posted by seandr on February 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM · Report this
Foghorn Leghorn 3
Hey look! They let the real Obama out of the basement for the re-election campaign! I was wondering where he'd been.
Posted by Foghorn Leghorn on February 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 4
@3, he'll be put back the day after the election. Don't worry, his corporate masters know what they are doing.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on February 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
The GOP's mindless obstructionism has come back to bite them in the ass. Now they have to run on all the crazy bullshit they've been pursuing over the last 3 and a half years and all Obama has to do is point out how nuts it is. It's not like he has this election in the bag or anything but at this point I'd say it's his race to lose.
Posted by Sahoyah on February 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM · Report this
OutInBumF 6
I hope he mops the floor with all of them, just like this.
Posted by OutInBumF on February 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Bigsfrottin 7
@6 That's gonna be a nasty floor if Santorum's included ;)
Posted by Bigsfrottin on February 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM · Report this
I'm too cool for Obama. I will only vote for a candidate the doesn't exist that agrees with every crazy idea in my head.

Also, I'd like to say that the Democrats and Republicans are identical in every way, including their DNA and retna scans, and something about corporate masters just for the record.
Posted by SLCamper on February 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM · Report this
"They are wrong."

I kind of forgot to react to this, it was kind of stunning to hear a president speak so clearly and concisely.
Posted by Chris B http://eccentric-orbit.org on February 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM · Report this
The 90s are over, cynicism isn't cool anymore. If you want to stay in the game you have to use what's at your disposal, even if it isn't what you would reach for in a more ideal scenario. And for an evil corporate slave, you have to admit he's managed some pretty heavy clusterfucks his first term.
Posted by mygash on February 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM · Report this
I'm amused about how he's droppin' the 'g' for the folks. It was a good speech. He'll be winnin' for sure. I'm on board.
Posted by crone on February 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Vince 12
They have underestimated this man time and again. I am so looking forward to him kicking their ugly asses in November. I hope the American people are smart enough to give him back congress, as well.
Posted by Vince on February 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM · Report this
jnonymous 13
@7 I see a bumper sticker there: "Mop the Floor with Santorum!"

It's gonna be a shit show if Rick wins the nomination.
Posted by jnonymous on February 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 14
I love the fact that he admits that he's one of "those at the very top", wealth-wise (3:48), yet he doesn't sound like a rich, entitled jack-wad like Romney. That's going to be powerful mojo in the general.
Posted by Cracker Jack on February 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Volo 16
Holy crap that man is awesome. I'm already wondering what he's going to do after his second term. I'd understand if he needs a long break that just involves memoirs and expensive speeches, but I hope he stays in public service to some degree.
Posted by Volo on February 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM · Report this
Obama learned from those pastors. He knows how to rouse the crowd.

I saw a picture of a sign at a church that said, "I told Perry, Cain and Bachmann to run for president, because I want Obama to win in 2012" -God

He really is Bush lite though. Not all we hoped for, but definitely better than the alternative.
Posted by Barbara on February 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
Corylea 18
Obama! Where've you been for the past four years?

I love the real Obama. I hope he stops trying to work with people whose only objective is to destroy him, even if it takes the country down along with him.
Posted by Corylea http://corylea.com/ on February 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM · Report this
I am a bit confused by his response to the claim that his intervention in Detroit was in order to help the unions. First he appears to deny it. ("The workers did sacrifice!") Then he appears to own it. ("We should be trying to help the workers!")

The reality is that the major auto companies did go bankrupt (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mot…). The Obama administration intervened in that backruptcy to acomplish essentially two things: (1) Make the unions take less pain than they would have under a normal bankruptcy, essentially by making them more senior creditors than they would have been otherwise. (2) Provide more debtor-in-possession financing than the companies would likely have got from the private markets.
Posted by David Wright on February 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM · Report this
MythicFox 20
@5 -- Few politicians are better at fucking up a sure thing like Democrats. Be careful about getting your hopes up.
Posted by MythicFox on February 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM · Report this
@14 Goddamn right. He actually managed to sound kind of humble when he said it; absolutely pitch-perfect.
Posted by chicago girl on February 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM · Report this
@19
But if a private firm had come up with the financing, there was a risk that they would be chopped up and the pieces sold off for whatever profits could be found.

Which is the fundamental different (I think) between Obama's plan and Romney's.

Obama wanted to save the industry and keep the employees employed.

Romeny wanted the option for private firms to extract whatever profits they could and if the industry survived it would be leaner and meaner.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on February 28, 2012 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Lance Thrustwell 23
As long as we're sharing fantasies (okay, maybe we're not, but anyway), I'll tell you mine: it's that Obama has spent his first term essentially lining up all the REAL progressive programs and policies he wants to enact, thereby using his first term as productively as he could without making himself unelectable, but is waiting for his second term to really get the ball rolling on them.

Okay, fantasy over. Feels good to share.
Posted by Lance Thrustwell on February 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM · Report this
Sigh. This is the Obama I voted for in both primaries and general election. He's still way better than the Republicans, but so sad he hasn't and probably will never bring his incredible oratorical gift to actual policies -- policies which in reality aren't even liberal, just moderate good sense supported by a majority of Americans, such as a national exchange for health insurance instead of the silly state specific ones, real regulation on Wall Street, Elizabeth Warren and financial oversight with teeth, contraception for people who work for Big Catholic, or any of a dozen issues.

He could whip up the public support needed to get so many good policies passed in the Senate and even in the Republican controlled House if only he'd take a firm stand on specific policies and put that kind of oratory into it. And he'd get reelected even easier, they're all policies the vast majority of the public supports -- and even a great many wealthy Americans support.
Posted by delta35 on February 28, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
chaseacross 26
If Obama frames the election in terms of being my brother's keeper vs I've got mine, he's going to throw whatever GOP candidate takes the cake into apoplexy. That kind of rhetoric has become positively toxic in movement conservative circles. There's no way they'll be able to walk back their discourse from the radical rhetoric of the primary. Such a framing would be positively devastating if thrown at Romney, who can't stop reminding people of his awesome wealth and privilege.
Posted by chaseacross on February 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM · Report this
I'm with Lance on the second-term actual policy roll-out fantasy. But if that fantasy is going to come true, it will be up to us! We need to make sure we give Obama a Congress that won't literally try to destroy the country just to make sure his policies aren't enacted.
Posted by SherBee on February 28, 2012 at 3:48 PM · Report this
Don't you just love the flavor of southern preacher that he gets in his voice when he gets going?
Posted by YellowCat on February 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM · Report this
@25

Sadly, I don't think that's true. It should be true, but politics don't traffic in reasoned judgment so much. Consider the shit that Gingrich, et al have been saying about Obama lately--does anyone have any idea who they're talking about? It's not the Barack Obama that exists in reality. They're so obsessed with beating Obama that they'd drag their feet and obstruct and generally be whiny little bitches even if an alien invasion threatened the very survival of humankind. Obama's considerable rhetorical gifts don't do shit for him when it comes to the far right--they have no intention of being convinced, so they simply don't listen.
Posted by chicago girl on February 28, 2012 at 3:58 PM · Report this
Jason Eckelman 30
@29 - I agree. I don't know if it's solely the desire to beat him that causes the "fantasy Obama" situation, though. Part of it is racism, I suppose, but I think a more important part is that Republicans are not going to allow Democratic Presidents to govern as Democrats anymore. They pulled this same shit with Clinton, only that time instead of a Kenyan Socialist Tyrant, we were treated to visions of a criminal mastermind, running drugs and hitmen (!) out of the Arkansas governor's mansion. Whatever they have to do to make the actual work of governing impossible, they will do. When they don't win, they obstruct everything, gin up scandals, and grind the wheels of government to a halt. They're completely corrupt.
Posted by Jason Eckelman on February 28, 2012 at 4:15 PM · Report this
gromm 31
@11:

I remember a line from the movie "The Great Debaters".

"You think they're going to listen to me if I'm wearing a *Tuxedo*?!"
Posted by gromm on February 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this
Knat 33
@23: That's the one GOP talking point that I actually cheer for: "You haven't seen anything from this President yet! If Barack Hussein Obama is elected for another term, you will see a president passing radical (liberal) legislation on a scale we can hardly imagine!" I sure hope so, man.
Posted by Knat on February 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM · Report this
"They are wrong." Obama ought to expand that by bringing back Harry Truman's old slogan: "They're wrong and we're right and I'm going to prove it to you!"
Posted by Steve T. on February 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM · Report this
My love for Obama is kind of like that Dow Jones number. Sure, sometimes it dipped uncomfortably low, but on the whole, it's just gone up. And just like it says it's broken 13,000 on the screen as she talks, so has my admiration for the man reached new levels.
Posted by sloggerette on February 29, 2012 at 2:57 AM · Report this
Correction: as HE talks.
Posted by sloggerette on February 29, 2012 at 2:58 AM · Report this
watchout5 37
I don't see how any of the republicans can beat this message. They're really, really, really stupid not to play into at least some of this message.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on February 29, 2012 at 3:38 AM · Report this
Write or Wrong 38
"What is it that they find so offensive about hard-working Americans?"

Maybe the fact that they are, for the most part, not hardworking Americans. But then, of course, they complain about the poor and unemployed as well.
Posted by Write or Wrong http://www.laurenhbarker.wordpress.com on February 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM · Report this