Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 1
Yes! Hours in a hot room surrounded by my uncool grandparents and that angry guy. Where do I sign up?
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on February 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM · Report this
very bad homo 2
Let's not even take a chance on letting Santorum get the nomination. I don't trust this country enough.
Posted by very bad homo on February 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Crossover voting didn't work in Michigan: http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/02/2…
Posted by Misty on February 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 4
Yeah, let's vote for Santorum and when the economy goes down the drain in September after he gets the nomination and Obama's approval drops in the single digits I'm sure that everything will be just fine.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on February 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM · Report this
pragmatic 5
This is as stupid as Nader trading was back in 2004.
Posted by pragmatic on February 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM · Report this
Argument for the opposite:

"If he had lost in Michigan, there was a real possibility that a new and less damaged figure would enter the race and unite the Republican Party behind him: a Jeb Bush or a Chris Christie, say."
Posted by T-Kins on February 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
the idiot formerly known as kk 7
Great idea! As long as you don't mind lying (you are required to sign a form that you consider yourself to be a Republican) and look forward to receiving personalized junk mail from the Republican Party for the next hundred years.
Posted by the idiot formerly known as kk on February 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM · Report this
pfffter 8
@7 Why are you required to sign that? That should be illegal since we have an open primary/caucus.
Posted by pfffter on February 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
Give me a break, even CNN shows this state as going for Ron Paul, even though they refuse to talk about him.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
@8, Republicans don't figure they have to pay attention to laws.
Posted by sarah70 on February 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 11
@3 turnout for the GOP was very low - has been everywhere. Slight uptick in Dem crossovers plus Independents didn't change that.

Nobody likes any of the choices. Can't blame 'em.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 12
Anyone who wins the nomination has a 50% default chance of winning the presidency. @2 and @4 are correct.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM · Report this
pfffter 13
@12 Yes, that would be true -- IF WE FUCKIN FLIPPED A COIN FOR IT. FAIL.
Posted by pfffter on February 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM · Report this
DOUG. 14
The "Oh my God, Obama can't beat Romney" talk is typical Democrat loser-speak.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on February 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 15
@7 Who's lying? "I consider myself a Republican." How is that a lie, even if I mean but don't add "today, only" or "while I'm trying to save the country from a further turn to the Right?" I'm just trying to save the party of Lincoln from the neo-confederate douchebags of Texas and South Carolina, right?

As for the junk mail, "accidentally" screw up your house number to put you in the same precinct but on another block. Would that be so wrong? (Yes, it would, but they're not going to prosecute.) Also, write illegibly, in the worst way that is credible.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on February 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 16
I'm with 2 and 4. I do not trust this country not to elect Santorum.

Anyone but Santorum on Saturday!
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 17

That is almost exactly how I am justifying it to myself.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM · Report this
Vince 18
Don't you need a Rayon leisure suit for this?
Posted by Vince on February 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM · Report this
blip 19
@12 Exactly, just like you have a 50% chance of crashing every time you fly because you only have 2 different alternatives for reaching the earth, right?
Posted by blip on February 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM · Report this
@8: "We" don't have any such thing. A political party is a private club and can set any attendence requirements it wants for its meetings.

There was a time in the past when the state ran primaries and "we" had a system such as you imagined. But the state got out of that buisness (largely because the private clubs didn't want to play by the state's rules) now there are just private clubs having private meetings any way they want.
Posted by David Wright on February 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 21
@13 and @19: I said 'default' or perhaps I should have said 'inherent'. Geez. Go suck a pickle!
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 22
You'll know for the rest of your tortured life that you actually voted for Santorum. Even if he doesn't win the nomination, some day -- years from now -- someone will reminisce about the freak show that was 2012 GOP politics and you'll know that you voted FOR Santorum.
Posted by Cracker Jack on February 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 23
@20 Thanks for reminding people that the mess WA has made of primary elections the past 15 years is a direct result of this kind of skullduggery, perceived or real. (Ellen Craswell, anyone?)
Committing fraud to subvert an election in a democracy is not funny, and will certainly not lead to the results you louts desire. Don't give the GOP more ammunition for their anti-democracy crusade.
Posted by Sir Vic on February 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 24

I'll be representing the 47-2985 precinct as PCO!
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on February 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 25
@20--A political party is a private club and can set any attendence requirements it wants for its meetings.

This is of course, technically true.

But considering that the two main parties have sufficiently gamed the system to where they function as de facto factions of a permanent government (in the parliamentary sense), I think that the governed are perfectly justified in subverting their private-ness any way that they can and care to.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
blip 26
@21 You would still have been wrong.
Posted by blip on February 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 27
@26: Oh really? Overall, we're a divided nation, mostly center right country.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM · Report this
OuterCow 28
@27 Still wrong.
Posted by OuterCow on February 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM · Report this
blip 29
@27 That may be true but it has nothing to do with how statistics work. Public opinion polls exist for a reason.
Posted by blip on February 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 30
@29: Are you always this anal? How about an 8% margin of error with a pickle on the side?
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 29, 2012 at 3:30 PM · Report this
@30 people are getting on your case because you're overwhelmingly annoying. Based on your earlier awesome use of math they should have a 10% chance of winning. There are generally about ten people running.
Lastly Americans are center-right in abstract. When placed into a real life scenarios they tend to be center left. When more than 50% of Americans renounce SSI, L&I, unemployment benefits, Medicare, Medicaid, EIC and the hundreds of center left elements of our economy then you can say 'most Americans are center right'.
Posted by CbytheSea on February 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM · Report this
blip 32
@30 No, I just pointed out that you were wrong and you keep dragging it out by continuing to be more wrong. If you would stop addressing me with incorrect corrections to your incorrect statements, this whole pointless diversion would resolve itself rather quickly.
Posted by blip on February 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 33
@31: I don't see how accepting government benefits should necessarily be parallel with one's core political dispositions if that's what you're saying.

@32: Eat your pickle before I do.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM · Report this
i cringe everytime i hear about these schemes to cross-over and vote - either side. it comes off to most people in 'the middle' as juvenile and/or assinine or worse. it makes it seem like your side's arguement is so weak, you think you have to rig the system.

it might be noble to go in and argue for a sane candidate or position (granted there arent any in this group). caucuses are a weird, interesting event, and anyone can talk to their precint group and make a statement to them about who they should vote for. make a case for Obama or for a sane republican party.

Posted by Cassette tape fan on February 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM · Report this
Skye Blu 35
Sigh- since Santorum visited Oklahoma and Romney did not I can easily tell you which way the not-so-OK state will go...
Posted by Skye Blu on February 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM · Report this
@33. When your actions betray your words it's pretty difficult to claim you even have convictions. Most people think they are above average, does that mean most people are above average? I hope you see the point I am making.
I simply want to correct the silly myth that Americans are center right.
Posted by CbytheSea on February 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM · Report this
@36 They are in Lake Wobegon.
Posted by floater on February 29, 2012 at 5:02 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 38
@36, yes indeed - those pesky myths are very annoying!
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 39
@36 - Republicans, conservatives, libertarians, or slight right of center folks are by no means hypocritical or betraying their core convictions by accepting government assistance. Nobody is saying that the role of government is not to help out its citizens. The debate, of course, is in the specifics.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM · Report this
If anyone does decide to go, be sure to bring a buddy for emotional support, to avoid long-term psychological damage.
Posted by PCM on February 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM · Report this
@39 how is that? I'm trying to understand what you mean. If I yell and whine about Indian food while eating curry (not Thai), how would you describe that event?
Posted by CbytheSea on February 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 42
Sorry CbytheSea, I've had a stiff martini and feeling a little tipsy. If I tried to make sense out of your silly analogy I'd end up sounding silly myself.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM · Report this
rowan redwing 43
How could you not want the "Frothy Mix" for Republican candidate???
Posted by rowan redwing on February 29, 2012 at 8:37 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 44
I recommend everyone, on all sides of politics, go watches the movie Game Change.

Seriously, liberal, conservative, independent - it's interesting.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM · Report this