Slog Comments

 

Comments (7) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
1

These look healthy:

http://www.sandsshowgirls.com/

Cut and pasted from one of SLOG's "womenist" ads.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on March 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM · Report this
Vince 2
I'm glad protesters were respectful and peaceful. That is the way to gather support and not offend those you need on your side. I'm also happy so much money was raised. It will save lives. Some things need everyone's support.
Posted by Vince on March 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 3
"75 percent of the funds raised (or $618,750) is slated for mammograms, breast cancer screenings, education, and prevention for low-income and minority women in Western Washington. The other 25 percent will go toward breast cancer research."

Right, but how much is going back to Komen to be used to market Komen and support Anti-Choice causes?
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 4
I am sure that Komen's local office is better at not funneling money to the HQ, but they're still supporting pinkwashing and Komen's corporatist agenda. We need better options, hopefully some former Komen supporters can split off and fund something better.
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM · Report this
5
I'm surprised that the local Komen chapter predicted such a low dollar amount would be raised, considering they raised $830,000 in 2011 (365 guests), $720,000 in 2010 (330 guests), and $765,000 in 2009 (380 guests.)
Posted by Sonya Rodgers on March 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 6
@3, as I stated in my post last Friday, Komen PS says none of the funds go to Komen national.

@5, my guess is they low-balled because they weren't sure what kind of effect the national Komen scandal would have on their local fundraising efforts. It would seem the answer is, none.
Posted by Cienna Madrid on March 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM · Report this
7
Cienna: I participated in the demonstration, and my partner helped with organizing. As with most people who can reasonably be considered "part of Occupy Seattle" (given that it's not an organization and has no definition of membership), we've been heavily involved with some Occupy Seattle activities, and not at all involved with others. Last Sunday, after the Komen event, in response to your other post about this, I wrote:

A relatively small number of demonstrators were able to ensure that almost everyone who attended that event (i.e., those who arrived via automobile between about 5:15 and about 7:15) were thinking about the controversy surrounding the Komen Foundation when they walked in the front door. Those who could read fast enough also had on their minds a list of alternative organizations that support breast cancer research. Good job.



Karah, who also helped organize the demonstration, wrote:

The goal certainly wasn't to overwhelm the guests at Saturday's Gala with a bunch of angry protesters. We smiled and waved, did a few MicChecks, offered attendees pink flowers and handed out nearly 200 flyers with the information about alternative places to donate and facts on the Komen Foundation with URL's to research for themselves. Many guests were supportive and passerby's honked and waved in support as well. Goal accomplished.


@22 While it may have been true at some point in the past that big businesses were the major employers of America, large corporations have shipped so many of their jobs overseas that more people in this country work for the public sector and small businesses these days. Welcome to 2012, Ron!



40 people would have lined the block nicely, but about a dozen lined the only part of the entrance that was publicly-accessible. There were no bandanas, nothing unfriendly was said to anyone (except for the tough-guy hotel security clown telling me to leave when I went in to check room rates and availability, because I "was with those people out there and have no business in here"), and there were no giant boobs. I really wanted to dress up as a giant pink ribbon, but we couldn't make it happen in time.

Seattle Police Department, ever vigilant in their mission to serve, protect, prevent people from rocking the boat too much, and keep the downtown businesses happy, sent five police cruisers, at least a half-dozen bicycle cops, and a paddy wagon. There was no indication ahead of time that any of that was needed, none of it was used, and we taxpayers paid to have all those cops stand around and chat with each other after one of them briefly addressed demonstrators as we arrived on the public the sidewalk in front of the hotel.
More...
Posted by Phil M http://twitter.com/pmocek on March 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM · Report this

Add a comment

Commenting on this item is available only to registered commenters.