Eva Hopkins 1
D'awww. If she was any cuter I'd go into insulin overload.
Posted by Eva Hopkins http://www.lunamusestudios.com on March 12, 2012 at 8:45 AM · Report this
Hi there! I'm Kristin, the girl in the video. I was just about to send you an email with a link to this video in case you hadn't seen it, but it looks like you already have. Hope you like it! :)
Posted by thfemale http://www.dirtysignswithkristin.com on March 12, 2012 at 9:03 AM · Report this
Allyn 3
Kristin, if your'e lurking still, I love your videos. Keep up the great work.
Posted by Allyn on March 12, 2012 at 9:06 AM · Report this
hamish108 4
"Sometimes"! Why do they always forget "sometimes the product of anal sex"?
Posted by hamish108 on March 12, 2012 at 9:41 AM · Report this
theseamster 5
This is great.

I'm in the cast of an insult-based comedy show. We have friends who are ASL interpreters and two or three times a year we get a couple of them to come do our show. It's always a blast.
Posted by theseamster on March 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Hooray!
Posted by Senor Guy on March 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM · Report this
Matt Hickey 7
I never thought I'd think the words "adorable" and "Santorum" in the same sentence, but here we are.
Posted by Matt Hickey http://www.matthickey.com on March 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM · Report this
That was beautiful! Thank you, Kristin!
Posted by SherBee on March 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Cute, but that's a very English-y way to sign the concept. "Lube" is usually signed [GREASE] rather than finger-spelled, at least here in DC (left hand open, back out, fingers pointing right; right thumb and figners dripping off the bottom); and the sign for "anal sex" is two gun (letter L) shapes in a line with the left index finger ramming into the base of the right thumb. The Deaf gay consensus here is that it would be signed [GREASE][ANAL SEX][MIX] with nonmanual signals of a disgusted expression and a strong puff of air.

Just being anal about it ...
Posted by ASLhomo on March 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM · Report this
Aah, I mistyped. It would be [ANAL SEX][GREASE][SHIT][MIX]. [SHIT] is the sign she shows.
Posted by ASLhomo on March 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM · Report this
TVDinner 11
And now there's adorable santorum all over my facebook page....

Thanks, Kristin!
Posted by TVDinner http:// on March 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM · Report this
I love the idea, Kristin! But can you give us something even shorter to sign at Santorum supporters or even just at the tv when his campaign commercials come on?
Posted by Park on March 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM · Report this
For those who have unregistered comments off, @9 and 10 were on-topic and helpful comments on alternative ways of signing this.

Thanks, ASLhomo, I was thinking there must be a more convenient way to indicate lube!
Posted by Kaliann on March 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM · Report this
I'm with ASLhomo: that's a very English way of expressing the idea of Santorum. I'm a native-signing (hearing but with Deaf parents) Aussie, so the signs I'd use aren't the same as the ones ASLhomo describes but I'd use exactly the same syntax.
Credit to Kristin for trying to popularise a sign for Santorum, though. That's a great idea.
Posted by AuslanHomo on March 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM · Report this
Posted by aureolaborealis on March 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM · Report this
BEG 16
@9 and @10 have beat me to it. I don't know what she was saying, I assume explaining the signing part, but the signing sure was cute. Englishy (as explained) but cute. Is she old enough to be signing this stuff??? ;-)
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on March 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM · Report this
@9: I knew that she was being awfully labourious in her sign language, especially in her fingerspelling. But being a hearing person, I can definitely tell you that she's not a deafie. She has neither the accent, nor does she sound out the word as she fingerspells, like you're supposed to.
Posted by gromm on March 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM · Report this
@17 et al.: It's not that her signing wasn't fluid -- I recognize that she's hearing and that she was going slowly and signing each word in isolation, since this was nominally a "teaching" video. (And I do recognize the whole thing is a VERY cute joke. Take everything I write in the spirit of helping people learn about ASL.) It's that she wasn't signing as any Deaf person would, or even in ASL. ASL is not a calque of English; it's a different language with a different grammar. When you take an English sentence and replace each word with a sign, word-for-word, you aren't speaking ASL -- any more than you would be speaking Japanese if you translated Moby Dick by using an English-Japanese dictionary and doing word-for-word, same word-order replacement. It's just weird to see all these videos of hearies supposedly teaching people how to sign curses or songs, and what they're really signing is a pidgin at best or gibberish at worst.

THAT BEING SAID, I do think Rick Santorum (the person) needs a short "name sign." I would propose either the [SHIT] sign (right thumb pulled out of the right fist) with the first two fingers of the right hand crossed (the sign for the letter R), or maybe the two-sign compound [SHIT][HALO] (the sign you'd expect - thumb and index fingers of each hand making a halo above your head). (You wouldn't use the sign combo for little-s santorum: [ANAL SEX][GREASE][SHIT][MIX].)
Posted by aslhomo on March 13, 2012 at 8:00 AM · Report this