lark 1
Speaking of Obama, this intrigued me:

Posted by lark on March 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 2

Seems like Obama has been taking the "Inslee" approach to it all...long naps...vague interest in the topic...coasting on having a bunch of party apparati do the work for him...
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on March 30, 2012 at 7:29 PM · Report this
Paul, Obama could take a stinky ass dump, and you'd be telling us how wonderful it was.

Does anybody really care what Obama says anymore? He sure is a wonderful speaker, but at best it's all just meaningless rhetoric and at worst it's all lies.
Posted by justinf on March 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM · Report this
Your alternative is Mitt Romney.
Posted by floater on March 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM · Report this
edie murphy beverly hills have eyes cleary 5
What the fuck has obama even done these last 4 years?
Because some of you is just stupid.
Posted by edie murphy beverly hills have eyes cleary on March 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM · Report this
michijo 6
Obama appeared today on my street in Maine. He went to the art museum in Portland. I found his appearance, along with police and streets being cordoned, someone stifling. Many protesters stood with signs. I noticed police officers I had never seen before. At times like this, I wish I didn't care about politics or who the president is or will be. I will vote for the Green Party to promote 3rd party awareness. I will leave it to others to get rid of Romney. In any case, it's really the banks who decide the president. I like to imagine that Deutsche Bank alone picks our president. You can see the donation figures here:

Before Deutsche Bank donated to Obama. Now they donate to Romney. I bet he wins.

Posted by michijo on March 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 7

Hilarious spoof of this on The Slonion...

Slezident Slobama gave a sleech in Slermont today. It lays out his slachevements from the last slour years.

Up on YouTube now...featured on Tosh 2.0...Colbert reprints...

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on March 30, 2012 at 11:13 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 8
Yeah, I like Obama the Candidate too. But what would make me feel really motivated is if Obama the President was more like that guy. It would help if the Democratic Party as a whole were like that guy too.

All stick (Romney) and no carrot (real progressive change) doesn't motivate the base. Voter turnout is probably going to be pathetic from all demographics this year. Everybody hates Romney, Obama gave us the worlds mediocrest healthcare reform and kept Guantanamo open...
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on March 30, 2012 at 11:27 PM · Report this
Brooklyn Reader 9
@8 Real progressive change is somewhat dependent on the mood of the electorate, and I don't know if you've noticed, but the mood of a large swath of the electorate is pretty ugly these days. The Right, with its choreographed talking points, "news" outlets, corporate money, and control of talk radio, has run a masterful propaganda campaign.

I'm not saying we're fucked, or that we have to give up our hopes or our rational progressiveness. To the contrary, we have to fight the fuck back. So, voting for Obama is not all rainbows and puppies? Your solution is what? Slash your wrists in protest? Go hide and let whatever shit is running down the mountain come bury you later?

Well, I say fuck no! Act like a damned adult and do what adults do: make sure to register to vote, and when it comes time to mark your ballot, have as many drinks or his as it takes, hold your nose, and pick the least bad candidate. And next time, do something to pick a better candidate for whichever of the two major parties you can stomach voting for. (You can forget third parties because our electoral system does. It is what it is. Learn how to use it.)

If you're going to cede the playing field and let those other fuckers pick your leaders all the time, things will just keep getting worse.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on March 31, 2012 at 12:42 AM · Report this
Brooklyn Reader 10
@9 ...drinks, or hiTs...

(fucking keyboard... i need a new laptop.)
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on March 31, 2012 at 12:46 AM · Report this
Big Matt G 11
@3) Hold the phone! Obama took a stinky ass dump?!?

I'm the last to hear anything.
Posted by Big Matt G on March 31, 2012 at 7:31 AM · Report this
Big Matt G 12
@9) Right on!!! Be the change you want to see in the world etc.!
Posted by Big Matt G on March 31, 2012 at 7:32 AM · Report this
OuterCow 13
@9 Yeah, I just can't get drunk enough to vote for a man who has given the authority to murder any US citizen w/o charge or trial to all future presidents, sorry. Though I am down with trying to do something to pick a better candidate next time, which I do in part by NOT voting for this guy. The Democratic Party has shown us the they do not reward holding-your-nose support. It can't be about keeping the Dems in power if this is what it means to have the Dems in power. Political parties are a means to an end, and your "adult perspective" is just acceptance of the party message that The Democratic Party is the only ends we need concern ourselves with.
Posted by OuterCow on March 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM · Report this
Anthony Hecht 14
@3, 6, 8, 13 - Yeah! I demand a president who has never done anything I disagree with, too! Otherwise I'll throw up my hands and cede everything else I believe in to my fiercest opponents. Politics is so simple!
Posted by Anthony Hecht on March 31, 2012 at 9:24 AM · Report this
Brooklyn Reader 15
@13 I have two words for you: Dick Cheney

I'm scandalized by extra-judicial capital powers, too, but I don't consider my active vote against everything the Republicans want to do to us an endorsement of those powers.

Pragmatism. Drink more or get higher, if you have to, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on March 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM · Report this
Big Matt G 16
@14) Lil' Baby Jeebus 2012!
Posted by Big Matt G on March 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM · Report this
OuterCow 17
@14 Thanks for that strawman, Anthony. It never gets old! Deciding you can't vote for a guy who authorized the assassination of citizens w/o charge or trial isn't fucking demanding a president who has never done anything I disagree with, it's demanding a president who doesn't commit gross violations of the Constitution and our civil liberties, jackass. I'm willing to cut politicians some slack, honestly I am, I've voted for major party candidates in the past and likely to vote for some in the future, I'm just not willing to give them carte blanche just because they have a fucking "D" in front of their name on the ballot, like you Constitution eviscerating enablers.

@15 The problem with that is your vote against the Republicans is a vote FOR Democrats who do almost exactly the same god damn thing. They aren't the same, I know, I know I know, but you honestly have to squint to see the difference on a fuckton of important issues. You think I'm not being pragmatic, I get that. And I think you're pragmatism fails to consider the long term impacts of continued acceptance of our lesser-of-two-evils system, at least now that the least evil option is this fucking evil. How far right do the Democratic and Republican parties have to drift before you realize you were the one being short-sighted, and not me?
Posted by OuterCow on March 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM · Report this
That Was The Week That Was March, 2012

Yup, a bunch of neocons gathered in front of the US Supreme Court, protesting in favor of the private insurance companies, and a bunch of ?????? (certainly not authentic democrats, we aren't that easily played) also gathered to protest in favor of the private insurance companies.

W T F ? ? ? ?

Those who favored the private insurance companies would strangely be the very same groups who long supported and promoted the offshoring of all American jobs -- a necessary step in dismantling the economy and creating all those billionaires we have among us today.

The very same group of neocons and ????? favored offshoring all the manufacturing jobs, all the engineering and programming jobs, all the R&D scientific research jobs, all the service-oriented jobs, but for some reason, they yell about those bankster-connected private health insurance jobs?????

Next, the Prez gives a speech supporting the obviously must fail legislation against that oil depletion allowance --- which has been around for many, many years (originally passed in 1913) and existed back when the dems were in the clear majority --- but for some peculiar reason refused to ever address it.***

It predictably fails --- which is mystifying given that they knew it would, yet continue to waste all that time on failure --- while doing nothing on behalf of the citizenry --- it almost appears by design --- but that would indicate forethought --- and nobody at The Stranger believes in that --- all these electronic thingys just appeared one day....

Weeeeellllll....if that private insurance legislation (AHCA) fails, then we have to acknowledge that those private insurance and biopharmaceutical companies responsible for writing it did a really, really poor job of it!

Meanwhile, a retired magistrate judge in Florida, goes public with lies about his son, George Zimmerman, in his involvement in the brutal murder of Trayvon Martin. Seems like that retired magistrate judge, Robert Zimmerman, continues to lie even in his retirement?

TW3 out....

*** The oil depletion allowance was shrunken considerably during the several years President Kennedy was in the White House, thanks in part due to some very clever legislation on his part --- later he would promote the complete ending of it in his last budget, which contained a number of other interesting, pro-workers' rights items which, sadly, were never enacted after his mystifying assassination. (And that clever bit of legislation which had shrunken down the oil depletion allowance would be later overturned by President Johnson, along with Johnson ending the financial transaction tax in 1966, something which had been in effect since 1914!

Jimmy Carter would alter the oil depletion allowance again, only allowing it for small companies without any attached refineries, but Reagan would reenact the oil depletion allowance once he became prez.
More...
Posted by sgt_doom on March 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM · Report this
@17, Outercow is of course completely right,

As long as they game everything in the typical "good cop" -- "bad cop" manner and all those non-analytical types keep falling for it, they won't be bothered ever checking out those camgaign managers and staff ot all the presidential candidates and noticing the lack of any differences.

WPP, the giant public relations/branding firm out of the UK just happened to employ the advisors on the McCain campaign staff, the Hillary Clinton staff and the Barack Obama staff --- my oh my --- what a coincidency!!!!

Funny how that always seems to work out that way --- so you've got Philly Gramm, vice-chair at UBS (a Swiss banking firm, BTW) advising the McCain clown, and Robert Rubin of Citigroup advising Obama, and I forget the other stooge advising Hillary, but it's really besides the point now.

Well, at least Hillary appointed Marc Grossman, member of Geo. W. Bush's inner circle and implicated by Sibel Edmonds --- in sworn testimony at a court in Ohio --- as one of the r'cons and dems involved in trafficking of American nuke technology to foreign countries.

And Marc Grossman was the guy who originally outed Valerie Plame --- just another all-around traitorous Bush guy!

But hey, at least Obama did all that admirable stuff, life firing Van Jones, firing Shirley Sherrod, not saying anything about the CBO's firing of Dr. Pham, and going on national TV to applaud the firing of all those black teachers at that Chicago school, later overturned as wrongful termination in a Chicago court by an honest judge (such a rarity in America today).
Posted by sgt_doom on March 31, 2012 at 11:13 AM · Report this
Anthony Hecht 20
@17 - My strawman, so called, meet your ad hominem.

In any case, they're not exactly the same, as you say, and even if you have to squint to see the differences on the issues you care most about, there's no question that they are vastly different in many, many ways that mean a lot to a lot of other people. Yes, the whole system is out of order, etc. Couldn't agree more. I strongly disagree with what is the best response to that, though. It's for you to decide if you're not capable of putting aside the issues you disagree with Obama on, but I don't accept that you're absolved when something far worse comes to pass.

All presidents do things we passionately disagree with. All of them. Like most things in life, it's a balance, and there is no perfect solution. Or even close to perfect. All the choices have massive, serious, heart-wrenching flaws, depending on where your priorities are. The outcome still matters, though, in the short and in the long term, in countless ways.
Posted by Anthony Hecht on March 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM · Report this
@15, Brooklyn Reader,

Wow! To think all those former consultants, working for Cheney/Poindexter on that Total Information Awareness project were later appointed to the Obama administration (having posted that numerous times at this site in the past, I will forego repeating those links from tedium).

Hmmm....so Obama's 100% neocon administration has so far appointed almost everyone but Dick Cheney!!!

What an accomplishment --- you are surely right, Crooked reader --- what admirable astuteness on your part.

Soooo happy we have such sharpies as yourself, dood!
Posted by sgt_doom on March 31, 2012 at 11:17 AM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 22
Reading this wonderful thread of insightful thoughts really does make one understand why over half of the voting population in this country doesn't vote. And it's not because they are all looking for some "middle ground" or even that they don't care.

They checked out because they figured out that politics is nothing but assholes in power with ass kissers in media who enable them.
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on March 31, 2012 at 11:22 AM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 23
And the best part...it's bipartisan assholery now days!
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on March 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 24
@15- I NEVER SAID I WASN'T GONNA VOTE FOR OBAMA, I SAID HE WASN'T MOTIVATING HIS BASE WITH ACTIONS. I'm so sick of this bullshit avoidance of the point by apologists. The only way Obama can lose this election is the same way the Democrats lost mid-year elections, failing to deliver on their promises so badly that the reactionary Right shows up while the progressive Left and most importantly the middle stays home.

The American majority doesn't want the GOPs agenda, but they don't show up to vote unless motivated either.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on March 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM · Report this
If you lean even slightly left and are not voting for Obama- please get over yourselves. Put on your big boy pants and vote for the president. You would have to be from Mars to think there isn't a difference between republicans and democrats.
Posted by virtuosobob on March 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM · Report this
And if you think losing elections to the Republicans will cause Democrats to tack to the left... you are out of your goddamn mind. When Democrats lose they go hard to right, for moderates. When Republicans lose they go hard to the right to please their base. This is because we have a perception that the conservative is the "default" position of most people, and people have to be persuaded to progressive causes.

This is sort of true--it's right there in the names, conservative and progressive--but I think the perception of where the center in has drifted/been redefined to the right, to the point that the Republicans are doubling-down on a tiny fringe in this election, and the Democrats are terrified to flex any muscle at all. Which is too bad. But unless something changes that party culture, sitting out elections to teach the Democrats a lesson is a futile gesture. It will fail in the short-term--can we even survive another Republican president?--and in the long-term.
Posted by Fairness Doctrine on March 31, 2012 at 6:45 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 27
@26- "And if you think losing elections to the Republicans will cause Democrats to tack to the left... you are out of your goddamn mind."

I know the Democrats aren't going to tack left, but it's not my fault that they're morons and shills.

Massive voter turnout in the primaries to drive the party Left would be ideal. I do my part, but the party apparatus seems quite content to be the party Nixon would be in if he were alive today.

Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on April 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
John Wilmerding 28
If over the next four years, we actually have a chance to cut down the plutocracy now holding sway in this country, it will come under an Obama presidency, make no mistake about it. If you favor democracy, if you like the idea of populism, if you want to see the country under "government of the people, by the people, and for the people" (Lincoln's Gettysburg Address), you had better vote for this man. Otherwise next time around, your vote may not mean very much anymore.
Posted by John Wilmerding http://www.facebook.com/john.wilmerding on April 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM · Report this