Martin H. Duke 1
I think you mean "Leningrad."
Posted by Martin H. Duke http://seattletransitblog.com on April 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM · Report this
well. that shut me up.
Posted by Adrian Ryan on April 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM · Report this
Yeesh. I did mean Leningrad. Thanks, and fixing.
Posted by Brendan Kiley on April 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM · Report this
OuterCow 4
Thanks for posting this.
Posted by OuterCow on April 5, 2012 at 3:57 PM · Report this
Unregistered User 5
Saved the best one for last.
Posted by Unregistered User on April 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM · Report this
Zebes 6
I lol'd.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on April 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM · Report this
So funny and dark. Thank you.
Posted by Honey Lee on April 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM · Report this
Great. Many thanks.
Posted by gnossos on April 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM · Report this
Wow. The unique jokes of that time and place illustrate the stark realities of the situation more clearly and succinctly than any number of grave historical accounts.
Posted by katallred on April 5, 2012 at 7:15 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 10
Bleak! Thanks for posting this.
Posted by Free Lunch on April 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM · Report this
Lose-Lose 11
A really horrible time that I remember too well (or other people don't remember well enough). Thanks for the jokes. I think I'll cry a little now.
Posted by Lose-Lose on April 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM · Report this
I actually hadn't heard about this siege, never mind that it was the longest in modern times. I'd heard of the Bosnian War, Christians vs. Muslims, Clinton sitting on his hands for a long time, Krist Novoselic's activism, etc., but it was all vague. This post has led me to do some quick internet reading. Thanks.

And the jokes are funny, dark and funny. I don't know if I can pick a favorite. (Auschwitz, the finger in the nose, the cigarette...) I'll be remembering some of those
Posted by floater on April 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM · Report this
prompt 13
Say what you will about the Iraq and Afghan wars, but the US is going to have one hell of a Paralypmic team this year.
Posted by prompt on April 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM · Report this
This is incredible.
Posted by The Cap'n on April 6, 2012 at 4:48 AM · Report this
The following is my best recollection of a joke I first heard when I arrived in Sarajevo in 1994 as a wire service correspondent: US President Bill Clinton, Russian President Boris Yeltsin and Bosnian President Alija Izetbegovic are clandestinely meeting in Geneva as the two world powers try to convince Izetbegovic to accept the latest international peace plan. Suddently God appears--urging all three to further compromise while promising he would answer one prayer from each leader.

"The US is beset by many problems," begins Clinton. "We have high unemployment, we're plagued by many foreign crises and our country has become politically polarized. Please tell me, God, when will these problems be solved?' God looks down upong on Clinton and announces all will be well within six years. Clinton to begins to hysterically sob, "but I won't be President in six years."

Now Yeltsin petitions God: "Dear Lord, I am dealing with rampant gangsterism in the economy and a continuing break-up of what's left of the Russian Federation. Please tell me, God, when will these problems be solved?" God looks down upon Yeltsin and says it will be a decade until all is well in Russia. tears stream down Yeltsin's cheeks as he mutters he'll by then be dead from liver failure.

Now It's Izetbegovic's turn: "We are the victim's of the most vile genocide since World War II. Tens of thousands of our people have been made homeless, thousands more are in death camps. ethic cleansing continues in my country's hinterlands and an equal numbers of innocents have been slaughtered. Sarajevo has become the world's largest shooting gallery. The UN-designated "Safe Havens" exist only as huge concentration camps. Please tell me when Bosnia's problems will be solved."

Now God begins to cry...
More...
Posted by Warscribe on April 6, 2012 at 4:56 AM · Report this

Now God begins to cry...
More...
Posted by Warscribe on April 6, 2012 at 5:07 AM · Report this
I have a joke:

In the time of Yugoslavia, two friends, Milan (a Serb) and Mujo (a Bosniak/Muslim) were sitting and having coffee in a village outside of Sarajevo.

Milan asks Mujo, "why does your wife always walk 5 steps behind you?". Mujo replies that that's mandated by the Koran, it's a way of the wife showing respect and deference to the husband.

Milan shrugs it off and they continue socializing for the rest of the day.

War happens and Milan has to leave Sarajevo.

When the war is over, Milan returns and tries to find his old friend. He find him and, to his surprise, his wife is walking 5 steps in front of him.

the two old friends are happy to see each other and Milan asks him, "how come your wife is walking 5 steps in front of you? I thought you told me that the Koran says she must walk behind you 5 steps"

Mojo answers, "landmines"