lark 1
Paul,
It never ceases to amaze me how a woman's body (usually an adult female model partially naked or in silhouette) sells the "subject" of sex. Am I led to believe the cover of "The Best Sex Writing 2012" is geared towards adult women consumers? Or, is it because two female authors' names appear on the cover? Couldn't a male model be used or does that connote "gay"? Yes, I am aware that a tried and tested marketing technique is at play. But, doesn't it ever get old for the consumer?

What probably will happen is some guy will pick this up and discover no pictures are in it and sigh.
Posted by lark on April 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 2
The girl in the Sakura Con ads looks like she's trying to hold in an enema. It makes me want to avoid the whole area.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on April 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 3

Speaking of literature, I was thinking, doesn't this sound like a Dirty Harry plot:

A young teen is shot in cold blood
The killer is not charged
The police and newspapers side with killer who is set free
The victim is blamed and has his reputation castigated

My question is: who is the Black Clint Eastwood?
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM · Report this
sheiler 4
Eileen is a masterful reader of poetry...as long as she's not perturbed by the environment (mic, sound). She had the entire Boulder theatre groaning with pleasure when she had published Chelsea Girls.
Posted by sheiler http://sheilerama.com on April 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM · Report this
Lark,

Gee whiz, I don't know; is the article "...geared towards adult women consumers"? Even with the picture that you seem to dislike so much, you read it, didn't you? lol
Posted by k80j on April 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
lark 6
@5,
I don't dislike the picture. My point is, why is it ALWAYS a woman's body selling sex? It got my attention all right but it didn't get my dollar. I'm a straight male and no, I wouldn't necessarily open it up to view pictures if any. I just find it a remarkable capitalistic tool that seems to work incessantly. A year or so ago, Granta's (a British Quarterly) cover subject was "sex" and it featured a photograph of a slightly opened purse that was unmistakably interpreted as an intimate part of female anatomy. My comment was strictly observation that's all.
Posted by lark on April 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM · Report this