Vince 1
Well, cable is A FUCKING RIPOFF!!!!! Duh! Kill your cable, people, and save yourself a fortune. And apartment renters may have the right to whatever cable company they want for a change and we won't want any of them. FUCK YOU CABLE!!!
Posted by Vince on April 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM · Report this
There is no reason to own a television anymore.
Posted by chadlupkes on April 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 3
A request: If you're going to say "X is right", please don't just link to an entire book. A summary of arguments, followed by a link to a book would be more useful.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on April 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM · Report this
Not sure I understand the glee in the subtext of these posts? Isn't the Stranger a print publication?
Posted by tkc on April 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
You said TV is Dying.

Then you said Cable TV is dying.

The latter is true. The former is merely changing the method whereby it's delivered. My ex and my son both watch TV ... online on the web.

Still TV. Still on a giant screen. Still has ads (mostly).

Change does not mean disappearance.

Now stop slacking and go buy a tablet like the iPad3 (or whatever they're calling it this week) to go watch TV on, slackers.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM · Report this
Zebes 6
I'd be looking forward to the day I rely upon an endlessly flowing spigot of Internet juice for all my entertainment needs if it didn't already come years ago. If only Google Glasses were a reality today, so I could keep up with the webz while I'm sitting in a theater, or... or a newspaper... store?

Anyway, the answer for TV studios, as it is for movie studios and record labels, is clearly to look for people to sue in an effort to retain their dwindling relevance.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on April 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 7
Yeah, you need a TV as a viewing tool. No comment on anything else, but forget watching movies on a 14 inch tablet or phone except on your commute or on the toilet Glorious 40+ inch HDTV at home.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://www.zombo.com on April 9, 2012 at 5:26 PM · Report this
internet_jen 8
I pay for both Hulu+ & Netflix, actually my house has two Netflix accounts. We were just using one account for a while but we needed more simultaneous streaming so I decided to purchase an extra account.

The thing is we do have cable but stopped having a TV set up a long time ago. On-demand viewing is our preferred choice of watching 'TV' shows. Our cable/internet is bundled in the cost of rent.

Posted by internet_jen on April 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM · Report this
Unregistered User 9
"Decline in Growth" feels like such an awkward sentence, but I can't think of anything better than "the second derivative is negative"

Growth is decelerating?
Posted by Unregistered User on April 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM · Report this
tjsander 10
Here's hoping that phone sex ad revenue doesn't dry up anytime soon! I'd be interested to see the numbers on the Stranger's income.

TV is dying simply because there are easier, cheaper ways to get TV programs. Napster/Kazaa/torrents were a much easier, cheaper way to get music before quasi-legit Grooveshark and totally legit Rdio / Spotify came along. TV programs as a format will survive, though the broadcast model is doomed.
Posted by tjsander http://3button.info on April 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 11
If you prefer watching television or movies through the internet on tiny screens with shitty speakers, then I'm guessing you'd also prefer a McBurger to a Steak, because hey... they're the same thing right? And the McBurger is cheaper and faster!!!1

Posted by Urgutha Forka on April 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM · Report this
Hulu + Netflix + iTunes + Amazon Instant. A la cart programming and movies, on demand, on multiple devices. Incredibly convenient and much cheaper than cable. If Comcast had a completive, one-stop-shop for instant content, I'd use them too. Frankly having to search 4 providers for something is a bit tedious, and I wish I could pay Hulu more to not have ads. So there is an untapped market if the traditional cable companies wish to make inroads.

And movies? They're almost all crap. The only thing possibly worth seeing this weekend was a 3-hour replay of a movie that was popular a decade ago. Instead we rented a RedBox dvd of another movie that we had planned on seeing in theaters earlier-- it was absolutely crap. Thank goodness we didn't waste $20+ seeing it last year. The good/crap ratio is so low that I never see a film without reading Rotten Tomatoes first, wherein I often read awful reviews.
Posted by wxPDX on April 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM · Report this
Also, @11: Google "dvi output". HD from my computer on a big TV, its MAGIC! Magic I tell you! Any decent TV and audio system can accept DVI output and auxiliary sound.
Posted by wxPDX on April 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 14
Last year I paid DirecTV for their baseball package. (All out of market games.) The cost for the year was $210.

This year I'm watching my MLB.TV subscription on my XBOX for $125/season, which also covers the all the device apps - Android, iPad, etc. (No separate fee for them like last year).

The video quality is the same as DirecTV, but the XBox experience is BETTER than TV, since their app provides far more info on what's going on with today's games (and baseball in general) than the DirecTV guide did.

Plus, you can watch two games at once, and it's actually a great experience, unlike that useless 8 games (not-of-your-choosing) view that DirectTV provides, which is a joke.

Also, no commercials! Though I confess I loved seeing all of the weird local TV ads from around the country. Ads during Cincinnati games were particularly hilarious.
Posted by Free Lunch on April 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM · Report this
This is so confusing.
Posted by sarah70 on April 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 16
We gave up on cable because we were spending $75 a month for a line up that was mostly religious and shopping networks. In it's place, We got a digital antenna, which works like a dream, a Hulu box and Apple TV for the Sala Grande television, and watch Netflix through our Wii box on the Rathskeller TV.

The absolute only thing I miss about cable is having MSNBC and Comedy Central in "real time", but we can watch them the next evening.

Now if we can just get better, and less expensive, Internet service than Comcast. We (the city) own the poles and other infrastructure. Why can't we have City Data, just like we have City Light?
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM · Report this
@16, you didn't make it any less confusing.
Posted by sarah70 on April 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 18
I'm sorry, Sarah dear. I seldom make things less confusing. But if I can figure it out, I'm sure you can.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM · Report this
TVDinner 19
I'm not choosing a new moniker. I'm just not.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on April 9, 2012 at 6:42 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 20

People forget that broadcast, many to one media are really only a product of the 20th century.

Up until then we spent most of our time "entertaining" ourselves by kibitzing over the backyard fence.

Kind of like now.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM · Report this
DOUG. 21
@14: Is there any way to get local baseball games without cable? I miss watching M's games, but refuse to pay $80 a month for cable.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on April 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM · Report this
internet_jen 22
@ 11 - no, we've got higher standards for food than we have for video output. If I had a big fancy nice TV it'd prolly be used for big fancy nice looking slog comments more than it would be used for tv shows or movies. Hah, or probably I'd stream a video in a browser in one quadrant, have some sort of editing software open in a half of it, and have a browsing the internet browser open in the remaining quadrant.
Posted by internet_jen on April 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 23
11, 13:

Yes, I've had mine set up this way for years now.

I have a fast gaming PC with an nVidia card that has DVI output (although more modern computers have HDMI right out the back) plugged into my 32" LCD. My sound system is a low cost, but powerful 2+1 system.

Then I bought a diNovo Mini keypad -- full keyboard plus pad on a handheld size. It uses Bluetooth wireless, so I can sit on my couch and use my entire Windows system. I use Firefox with the NoSquint plugin to make the type readable from my couch. I can then run Windows, Web surf, read off the Kindle PC app and also run Netflix, Hulu and YouTube at large screen size.

I have coined the term "couchtop computing" for my system.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM · Report this
"Televisions are designed for watching high definition, high quality media. Computers are not."

Boy are you dumb. Why do you think that video cards have HDMI out?
Posted by have you ever looked at the back of your computer on April 9, 2012 at 7:51 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 25
@21 - Go to a bar. It'll cost a lot more than $80 a month, but you're at a bar at least.
Posted by Free Lunch on April 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM · Report this
Jaron is also, in my opinion, a terrific khaen player with an original approach:

You just reminded me that I need to finish reading 'You Are Not a Gadget,' Paul
Posted by aiff on April 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM · Report this
sirkowski 27
@11 Well excuse me for living in a tiny apartment and not being able to afford a home theater. e_e
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on April 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 28

One more thought...

Population collapse?

Could be happening right now as we speak.

I've read there's a big die off going on among the elderly and they comprised a big part of the TV (and other traditional media) audiences. Check out the Seattle obits if you don't believe me.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 29
The headline said, "The Next Time Someone Says the Internet Killed Reading Books, Show Them This Chart"

Okie, dokie, here is the chart.

"According to some sources, nobody's reading books anymore."[Citation needed]
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on April 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM · Report this
@23, measuring much?
Posted by sarah70 on April 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 31

Economy Contributes to Slowest Population Growth Rate Since ’40s

America: Heading Towards Zero Population Growth?

In the years following WW2 and until the mid 1960s, the US population grew by an average 1.6% per year. From the late 1960s to 2007, it grew by an average of 1% per year. Since then, the growth rate has fallen under 1%. On my calculations, it will remain below 1% for several decades and will fall well below 0.5% in the 2030s and 2040s. Without immigration, the size of the total population would flatline or shrink moderately in those decades.

Many, or possibly most, commentators mistakenly believe that US demographic growth will be robust for decades to come. This misconception is due in part to the fact that Europe and Japan have very poor demographics in comparison to the US. The number of Europeans and Japanese is indeed expected to decline while the American population continues to grow. But the rate of US population growth will also be declining for the next several decades.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 32

@30

The horse, true.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM · Report this
tomsj 33
Golly, maybe you didn't notice, but we're still in a recession. Cable TV costs, at a minimum, $100/month. So, what should I give up for cable? Food? Healthcare? Taxes? You Stranger commentators must be making way too much money. (NB: Having given up cable early last year, I came to realize that I hadn't given up much. Now I meet up with friends and we (gasp!) entertain each other. What a concept....)
Posted by tomsj on April 10, 2012 at 7:04 AM · Report this
Jaron Lanier is a douche. You should be a little skeptical when someone who makes Internet content for a living tells you that the biggest problem with the Internet is that content providers are undercompensated. A little self serving no?
He also calls everyone who disagrees with him a Maoist. Not exactly a subtle thinker. Perhaps you're overly impressed because he can play two pan flutes at the same time? I say that's two too many.
Posted by codswallower on April 10, 2012 at 8:11 AM · Report this
michijo 35
I have never owned a TV in my adult life. Once a conservative asked me angrily "do you think the Internet is made for YOU?" Conservatives always seem to be stuck on the first stage of evolution regarding anything. They like blues music, because their slaves made it.
Posted by michijo on April 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM · Report this
Keekee 36
Pan flutes.
Posted by Keekee on April 10, 2012 at 9:04 AM · Report this
Gurldoggie 37
Smoke signals.
Posted by Gurldoggie http://gurldogg.blogspot.com on April 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM · Report this
GlamB0t 38
Oh no, another industry that's been selling shit at gold prices might go under. I assure you I'm crying on the inside.
Posted by GlamB0t on April 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM · Report this
pg13 39
We're learning to accept that things will be "good enough" rather than better, thanks to technology and connectivity.
Posted by pg13 on April 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM · Report this
slade 40
Your Article is named wrong
If cable had more then what it has I might spend on it but since its full of propaganda and B/S I wont drop a dime to be fed a bunch of crap. Like a billion Xfinty ads with a billion larson auto can only equal Republican Fox News even Rabbit ears TV is clinging to a life raft in the ocean of reality.

The GOP itself are dragging Media to new lows as it drags everything else with it? its like standing behind a giant cow with flys all around its behind waiting for the next turd to fall.

they come up with stupid study's that have not been confirmed for important news? If your fat your going to be a autistic diabetic Brest cancer blob who will eat Huston a need to be bombed by the air force like godzilla.

Dont be fat don't eat hot dogs don't listen to the TV or the radio or the internet.
Posted by slade http://www.youtube.com/user/guppygator on April 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM · Report this