Imagine "The Giants win the gonfalon. The Giants win the gonfalon...."
Posted by kinaidos on April 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM · Report this

Meanwhile Heat just fizzled again.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM · Report this
Keister Button 3
I can tell someone from Chicago wrote this because there is no connection made to the baseball-playing Frank Chance character in The Brothers K by PNW author David James Duncan, and no mention of Algonquin Round Table wit Franklin Pierce Adams, the doggerel's author.
Posted by Keister Button on April 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM · Report this
@3 The Brothers K is an OK book, but not worth mentioning in relation to this poem. As for Adams as the author, yeah, the ART is not my area of literary expertise. Maybe I'll post a Nelson Algren baseball poem when it seems apropos. And I know this comment was by a Seattleite due to its provincial judgmentalism. Probably still pining for the Pilots, eh? Cubs beat 'em today.
Posted by Chicago Fan on April 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM · Report this
Fnarf 5
@4, I dunno what you know about what, but your analysis of this bit of doggerel is 100% correct. The Hall is full of guys like this, all voted in by 90 year old guys who remember their buddies. Some day their modern equivalents will vote in Omar Vizquel -- the man Bill James famously called "the greatest player in the history of baseball...named Omar".
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM · Report this
"And I know this comment was by a Seattleite due to its provincial judgmentalism."

LOL

I like this post. I know so little about classic baseball history.
Posted by floater on April 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM · Report this
I love it. One of my forebears played ball back in those days, but I never took much of an interest as a kid. Now that I'm grown it's a pleasure to run across Olde Baseball tidbits like this. Keep 'em coming.
Posted by gloomy gus on April 12, 2012 at 10:42 PM · Report this
@7 Will do. As idleness, coincidence and internet access allows.
Posted by Chicago Fan on April 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM · Report this