You know, after this you wrote the praises of cheaper real estate. Unless something has changed, you should know that Moscow is a ridiculously expensive place to live. The denizens, apparently, even boast about its costs of living.

This is bizarre, as most Muscovites make something less than an equivalent of $1000 a month. I don't know how they afford to eat and possess shelter simultaneously.
Posted by Central Scrutinizer on April 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 2
they need some dark sky lighting
Posted by Max Solomon on April 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM · Report this
I'm sure Mockba ahs changed quite a bit since '84 when i was there... But I'm quite certain that outer space is still the best view of that particularly grim city... (subways aside, for you babushka-frotage freaks out there).
Posted by SweetDarkLord on April 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM · Report this
Vince 4
I wonder if a billion light years from here and now, on some planet with intelligent life, they will see a distinct signature in the light spectrum coming from our planet. The signature of cities.
Posted by Vince on April 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 5
@ 3, I visited Moscow in 1994 and liked Red Square and all the buildings in the Kremlin. I'm sure you weren't allowed in there 10 years earlier, though. I bet a lot of what made it grim was the fact that it was still the pre-Gorbachev Soviet Union.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM · Report this
Fnarf 7
@5, how has it gotten less grim since then? Russian GDP per capita, life expectancy, and everything else has plummeted since then. Moscow is a great city to live in if you are an oil-and-gas oligarch -- no one else.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 8
@ 7, there was hope in 1994. But then again, there were a lot of homeless people, several of whom looked like they had been beaten up less than an hour earlier. On a Sunday morning.

Well, Saint Petersburg was nice anyway.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
Talk about light pollution ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM · Report this
lark 10
Charles,
I was in Moscow in 03'. It was OK. But. St. Petersburg was wonderful. What a gorgeous and culturally endowed city!
Posted by lark on April 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 11
Beautiful shot. For anyone who didn't click through to the larger image (worth your time) and like myself, didn't notice it otherwise, them's the northern lights in the upper left hand corner.
Posted by mikethehammer on April 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM · Report this