Line Out Comments

This was a fun read, Bryan. Keep it up.
Posted by HunterFitch on April 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM · Report this
yos-wa 2
Yes, very enjoyable. I seem to remember reading your tour diary for the first European tour with Snakes where you also got sick......maybe you only get sick when you're planning on blogging?
Posted by yos-wa on April 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM · Report this
Get well soon, guys! Hope you make it through the pain. I look forward to seeing you in Cologne on May 4th.
-D.K.
Posted by D.K.CGN on April 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM · Report this
Andrew Chapman 4
Brian, thank you for writing this! It was killer to see behind the curtain. Hope you all start feeling better soon.
Posted by Andrew Chapman http://princessismetal.blogspot.com/ on April 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Fun read. Thanks for taking the time to write this. Hope everyone gets well soon.
Posted by legacy builder on April 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 6
Good read.

Those Deafheaven guys, George and Kerry especially, are hilarious to follow on twitter.
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on April 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM · Report this
I believe Brian suggested that because we are doing all our own booking, organizing, driving and Visa paperwork for an upcoming European tour (and I suggested it was not any more difficult than booking locally), we are likely to have failures. I was unaware anyone (or their label) had enough money to hire drivers, rehearsal spaces, full traveling backlines and such. We must be doing something wrong.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on April 24, 2012 at 10:41 PM · Report this
Brian Cook 8
@7 i stand by my statement: coordinating a tour in a foreign market is more difficult than booking a local show. i don't think it's a bold claim. how many Seattle bands are able to successfully book shows in Seattle? now how many of those bands are able to coordinate UK tours? just sayin'.

tonight is our first UK show and we already made the realization that we didn't have enough Europe-to-UK power adaptors for our gear. and there always winds up being an electrical issue in the UK. tonight it was a blown amp. last tour it was a pedal board. yes, Chris, you are bound to have failures. every tour does. and the likelihood of failures increases overseas. again, just sayin'

i do wish you the best of luck with the upcoming tour. and glad to hear you've at least secured visas. i've definitely been the dumb-ass to show up at Heathrow on the first day of tour without any paperwork. thankfully, that was pre-9/11 and we were able to sweet-talk our way into the country. but ya know, you don't need to file government paperwork to book a show at The Comet....
Posted by Brian Cook http://www.last.fm/user/bubblegutz on April 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Brian Cook 9
@7 ...and for the record, we pay for this ourselves. being able to afford this stuff isn't an issue of doing anything right or wrong. "success" is relative, and i'm fully willing to admit that the level of success we've achieved is largely due to luck.

ultimately, making money at playing music is like trying to make money by gambling. it requires a bit more skill than playing the lottery, and a bit more luck than playing poker.
Posted by Brian Cook http://www.last.fm/user/bubblegutz on April 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM · Report this
Brian- I guess I just don't find the booking or organizing that difficult. I moved to the UK when I was 20, relocated my mother to France when I was 23, and back to the US when i was 27.

All tours have failures, US or overseas...the risks certainly go up. Thankfully we are only dealing w/ the UK, and we keep it simple-pedals run on batteries, amps and drums are borrowed and we drive ourselves in a typical rental car. Our visas are submitted in june, allowing plenty of time for issues to be ironed out, and we show up at the Glasgow airport with a certified work code.

I am envious of your ability to make the economics of hiring these things out, and of having a concrete backline (although I would have sprung for a UK backline, the power drop kills shit on the regular). Of course it would be nice to have that, but we have gotten by just fine on 4 fly-out tours to the south and midwest, and the good people of the UK are very accommodating.

Hope the rest of tour goes well-I really enjoyed the journal thus-far.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on April 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM · Report this