Nugget 1
OH COOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!
Posted by Nugget http://hillebrity.com on April 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM · Report this
prompt 2
Again, I'll put in my word for native leafcutter and mason bees, which you can have in your yard with only a block of wood with holes drilled in it.
Posted by prompt on April 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM · Report this
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on April 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM · Report this
rob! 4
In prepping my house for painting, I replaced a lot of old trim and ratty railings, and found plenty of evidence of leafcutter bees in the vertical gaps between the window-trim nailers and the siding, as well as orchard bees nesting in the empty screw holes during the procrastination gap between prep and actual painting.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on April 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM · Report this
ItsAllOverNow 5
Thanks for all the good info rob!
Posted by ItsAllOverNow http://nowaybro.blogspot.com/ on April 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM · Report this
Cephalodude 6
While I am a consumer of honey (yum!) and surely appreciate the ecological roles that bees play and the stately, dignified profession of beekeeping, you, and all beekeepers, are INSANE.

I NO WANNA GET STUNG.
Posted by Cephalodude on April 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM · Report this
I haven't been stung. The bees can feel my goodwill.
Posted by Gillian Anderson on April 27, 2012 at 5:40 PM · Report this
I hope your bee-happiness-making plants include borage. It is super easy to grow, reseeds like a weed and bees go totally wild for it. Bonus! Its beautiful flowers are the old-school, original garnish for a Pimm's Cup!
Posted by teamcanada on April 27, 2012 at 6:47 PM · Report this
Posted by Beeman on April 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM · Report this
venomlash 10
As long as they're being fed, they're easy to medicate. Fumagillin, the standard treatment for nosema disease, can be administered in syrup, and should be used preventatively due to how common nosema is.
Also, put a brick or similarly heavy object on top of the outer cover. All it takes is for one raccoon to get at your hive and start pulling out frames...
Posted by venomlash on April 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM · Report this
Sandiai 11
From 9:
"Make sure you keep sugar syrup on them until the blackberry bloom happens in June. Otherwise, you will starve your bees. We have a nectar dearth that lasts from about now (maples) to the blackberry. Bees need the sugar to raise young and they will starve out without it. Starving a new colony from a package is the most common mistake for new beekeepers."
Posted by Sandiai on April 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 12
Congrats, Gillian. I've always had the deepest admiration for people who know how to keep bees. Where I lived in Vancouver - about three houses down in the front yard - there was a homemade stand with a slot to drop in $4 and a few jars of honey there to take. Totally the honor system. Wouldn't dream of stealing honey from someone so trusting, eh? Anyway, I loved that. And I love beekeepers. It's right there on my bucket list with learning how to forage wild mushrooms.

Have you gotten stung yet?
Posted by Bauhaus I on April 28, 2012 at 9:24 AM · Report this
Mount Vernon High School has installed a bee hive on campus! http://www.goskagit.com/youtube_af3864b8…
The buzz on campus isn't just from the bees!
Posted by catherineku on April 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 14
I <3 bees.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on April 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM · Report this
Yay for bees! I bet the honey will be very, very good (hint, hint).
Posted by Bethany Jean Clement on April 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM · Report this
Greg 16
@14: Dude, Halo 2 has been out for years now.
Posted by Greg on April 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM · Report this