eastcoastreader 1
Since Avatar was just a re-make of “Dances with Wolves”/”Pocahontas” really Cameron can just keep re-doing all movies ever made in the Avatar style, right? I’d watch the “Godfather Avatar” that would be fun.
Posted by eastcoastreader on May 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM · Report this
Guess that would depend what Cameron feels "need to be said" in the next one. If I'd known going into the first one that he needed to say Americans will destroy any species in the universe for buried treasure I would have passed.
Posted by cliche on May 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM · Report this
Star Wars, Star Trek, Aliens, Terminator, all say no.
Posted by K on May 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM · Report this
balderdash 4
Epic sci-fi series tend to prove out by the second film, so if Avatar 2 actually happens and it doesn't suck I'll probably just keep seeing them until they stop. I guess it just comes down to whether the hypothetical next one is "Avatar: Reloaded" or "The Two Avatawers."

But when it comes to James Cameron, it's honestly really hard to tell what's satire and what's him just being the biggest nerd on the planet, so I have no idea, really.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on May 7, 2012 at 3:06 PM · Report this
Bub 5
Come on, Avatar was awesome, and so were Aliens and Titanic. James Cameron is a jerk, but he makes stunning blockbusters with some tolerable sap.
Posted by Bub on May 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM · Report this
balderdash 6
Also I feel like if you're just envisioning a whole bunch of movies with blue cat-people you're kind of ignoring the fact that Avatar took place in a pretty rad sci-fi universe. You could tell almost any kind of story (that James Cameron might actually want to tell) on any kind of world, with a space-opera background to set it against. They don't have to be set on whatsitsfuck organic computer world.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on May 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
Zebes 7
In Avatar 2, the evil earthlings return with even more guns and ships and rock the shit out of the natives. It ends on a dour note, unless you are a rich white guy.

In Avatar 3, the natives secure reservations and start fighting for legal representation in an occupied homeland they'll never take back through military force/indigenous piss and vinegar.

In Avatar 4, the natives start raking in dough with exotic Space Gambling Halls and by selling fireworks, hallucinogenic toads and other things illegal beyond the borders of their reservation, in the United Humans of Humanity Land.

Avatar 5 consists entirely of readings from the latest book by acclaimed Na'vi author Sher-mon Alex'zee.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on May 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
Who will the white people rescue in Avatar 2?
Posted by carnivorous chicken on May 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
So long as Avatar 2 makes a definitive statement about what Sam Worthington's boner looks like, I give a fuck what Cameron does after that.
Posted by gloomy gus on May 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 10
Avatar 2: The Wrath of Blue People
Avatar 3: The Search for a Blue Person
Avatar 4: The Voyage with Blue People
Avatar 5: The Final Blue Dude
Avatar 6: The Undiscoved Shade of Blue
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on May 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM · Report this
neuracnu 11
Considering Cameron had been working on the story (and simply waiting for special effects technology to do it justice) 15 years before the film ever came out, it's fair to say the project is a labor of love for the guy. If people are willing to keep paying for it, why whine about him continuing to cash in on his success?
Posted by neuracnu on May 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM · Report this
GhostDog 12
When I heard about people getting suicidal after seeing Avatar because they wanted to go home to whatever planet it was I decided to give it a pass.

And I have yet to hear anything to make me regret that decision.
Posted by GhostDog on May 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM · Report this
GhostDog 13
Also, I'd like to note that from watching Cameron do non-film stuff(i.e., trying to EXPLORE ALL THE THINGS) it might be possible that he just wants to do non-film stuff going forward. He has made films for quite some time now.
Posted by GhostDog on May 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 14
You left out "I would like the three hours I wasted watching one Avatar back".
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on May 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM · Report this
rob! 15
Gus @9, I can take the sharp edge off that for you, but there may be no going back:

(Spoiler: more of a mood-killer than a wish-fulfiller.)
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on May 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
ERIN! 16
Apparently lots of us never saw Avatar. Way to go, Sloggers.
Posted by ERIN! on May 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM · Report this
There are an awful lot of movies set on real normal human Earth, and nobody says that premise is played out. I don't know why there couldn't be just as many stories to tell set on some other planet.
Posted by pox on May 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM · Report this
Yeah, and George Lucas had a lot to say about the Star Wars universe, too.

Look how well that turned out.

And Avatar was no Star Wars.
Posted by judybrowni on May 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM · Report this
@4: I think you mean "The Avatar Strikes Back".
Posted by aaronbrethorst http://www.viainstapaper.com on May 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 20
In one way Avatar is a lot like Star Wars. In 1977, Star Wars was a mediocre movie with spectacular, ground breaking special effects for its time. To me, Avatar was likewise more interesting for its visual effects than the mediocre story. But the visuals will grow tiresome very quickly without a decent story in future Avatars.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on May 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM · Report this
@15, no worries - he was asked to take on that shape for his recent role as a go-getter generic waxed muscleboy who inherits a rundown clothing-optional resort next door to Andrew Sullivan's place in P-town. At first disdaining the cliched scene, he slowly mellows into the bacon-eating bear we see in that clip, turning the whole works into the smash destination of the summer season. Theme over end credits sung by Dina Martina.
Posted by gloomy gus on May 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM · Report this
rob! 22
Now how did I miss all that?! I want a refund on my Google Alert!
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on May 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM · Report this
"...the moviegoing public is going to get tired of the Avatar universe sooner or later, aren't they?"

It doesn't matter. We'll like whatever James Cameron tells us to like.
Posted by un_beknownst on May 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM · Report this
balderdash 24
Actually I would be pretty excited to see a movie set on Earth in the Avatar universe, or maybe something set on a different colony world without native intelligence that just follows the settlers trying to tame a totally alien wilderness.

Like I said, it doesn't all have to be blue people. The humans came from space, remember?

I could do without any further mention of "Unobtanium," though. Christ, did anyone even proofread that screenplay? It's like they sent the movie to theaters with a primary character named "Plucky Sidekick."
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on May 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM · Report this
MarkyMark 25
In 1607 (2154), a ship carrying John Smith (Jake Sully) arrives in the lush "new world" of North America (Pandora). The settlers are mining for gold (unobtanium); under the supervision of Governor Radcliffe (Colonel Quaritch). John Smith (Jake Sully) begins exploring the new territory, and encounters Pocahontas (Neytiri). Initially, she is distrustful of him, but a message from Grandmother Willow (The Tree of Souls) helps her overcome her trepidation. The two begin spending time together, Pocahontas (Neytiri) helps John (Jake) understand that all life is valuable, and how all nature is a connected circle of life. Furthermore, she teaches him how to hunt, grow crops (tame dragons) and about her culture. We find that her father is Chief Powhatan (Eytucan), and that she is set to be married to Kocoum (Tsu'tey), a great warrior, but a serious man, whom Pocahontas (Neytiri) does not desire. Over time, John (Jake) and Pocahontas (Neytiri) find that they have a love for each other. Back at the settlement, the men, who believe the natives are savages, plan to attack the natives for their gold (unobtanium). Kocoum (Tsu'tey) tries to kill John (Jake) out of jealousy, but he is later killed by the settlers. As the settlers prepare to attack, John (Jake) is blamed by the Indians (Na'vi), and is sentenced to death. Just before they kill him, the settlers arrive. Chief Powhatan (Eytucan) is nearly killed (is killed), and John (Jake) sustains injuries from Gov. Ratcliffe (Col. Quaritch), who is then brought to justice (shot with arrows). Pocahontas (Neytiri) risks her life to save John (Jake). John (Jake) and Pocahontas (Neytiri) finally have each other, and the two cultures resolve their differences.
Posted by MarkyMark on May 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 26
There's no option for "I turned off the first movie after 30 minutes".
Posted by TheMisanthrope on May 7, 2012 at 5:14 PM · Report this
Give them a break for Unobtanium. I interpreted that as a nick name for what they were mining and not it's actual name from the moment he said it.

I have no interest in an Avatar universe movie that isn't set on or involving Pandora. Why would you? What even makes it the Avatar universe if it's not on Pandora? Just the names of the large corporate empires.

And yes I would see a 2nd Avatar, especially if it turned out to be closer to a second Terminator and not a second Matrix.
Posted by LukeJoe on May 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 28
@2 Would you be satisfied if one of the Na'vi read Ayn Rand, decided he was John Galt, killed the tree of jellyfish himself and collected all the royalties from the petro...er...unobtainium company?

'Cause that would probably suck less than the Atlas Shrugged movie you already got, if only by default. Or would you prefer a remake of Wall Street with a blue Michael Douglas?
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on May 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM · Report this
Cameron promised us a Battle Angel Alita adaptation. He's got everything he needs to nail it visually, and Alita has a much more interesting story than Avatar ever will have. So I'm quite upset that he has narrowed his sights so much.
Posted by heavyweather on May 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM · Report this
McGee 30
It is very nice of James Cameron to provide me with an advance list of things to ignore.
Posted by McGee on May 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM · Report this

Avatar is like number 249 in my Netflix queue...after The Last Airbender.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on May 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM · Report this
Noadi 32
Cameron is almost 60 and Avatar was his first movie since Titanic (he produced a tv series and did a number of documentaries in between the two). That's over a decade between movies. He takes his time with movies, I don't see him producing more than a couple more Avatar movies (notice he didn't say he was disbanding the documentary arm of his company, I expect a lot more of those from him). At this point he's got plenty of money to just do what he wants whether people actually go see it or not.
Posted by Noadi http://noadi.net on May 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM · Report this
The only reason I saw the first Avatar borefest was because someone told me Sigourney Weaver got naked in it. Then I fell asleep before the getting-naked part ever happened. I'm still bitter about this.
Posted by Karina on May 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM · Report this
COMTE 34
@6:

Considering Avatar is tangentially connected to the Aliens universe, that shouldn't be a problem.

As In: Expect Avatar 4 to be subtitled: Navi Versus Aliens...
Posted by COMTE on May 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM · Report this
Womyn2me 35
good heavens. I really did think I was the only one who hadnt seen it. I feel spiritually bonded with you other 377.
Posted by Womyn2me http://http:\\www.shelleyandlaura.com on May 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM · Report this
rob! 36
@35, I probably would have, but 3D hasn't made it to the hinterlands yet, and I couldn't bear to see it in the local Tumbleweed Tunnel Twinplex.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on May 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM · Report this
thatsnotright 37
Sounds like somebody has got a messiah complex Cameron has decided to save the planet. Odd that his proposal to mine the asteroid belt is the first step in extra-terrestrial resource exploitation If I understand the "Avatar" story properly, Earth wasted our Solar System before moving on to eztra-solar resource exploitation. Kind of hypocritical, isn't it?
Posted by thatsnotright on May 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM · Report this
sloegin 38
3d was an eldritch cinema horror thought to be sealed away forever until Cameron's revival. The pity is he did a pretty good job of it. Now it's gonna take forever to stuff that 3d crap back in the vault.
Posted by sloegin on May 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM · Report this
Well, it's not like he can make Titanic 2.
Posted by floater on May 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM · Report this
I think Avatar 2 could potentially be more interesting than Avatar, at least from a plot perspective. Avatar is basically Pocahontas, but with a happy ending for the native people. But now you have a planet in which colonization never succeeded, which is more like Thailand than it is the US. There are some interesting original storylines you could spin off from that situation.

Not that I think Avatar 2 will be good; it could be, but it's more likely that Cameron will screw up the plot with more cliches.
Posted by geekgirl on May 7, 2012 at 11:05 PM · Report this
Teslick 41
I'm still mad about the endings to The Abyss and Titantic. I didn't watch the end of Avatar to get mad again...
Posted by Teslick on May 7, 2012 at 11:32 PM · Report this
I was meh on Avatar - it was beautiful to look at, but the lush visuals couldn't compensate for the wooden, stereotypical characters and predictable story (which relied heavily on the tiresome "white savior" theme). Ursula K. LeGuin did it much better in her short story, "The Word for World is Forest."

However, I did enjoy it more on DVD, alongside the "Rifftrax" commentary from Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy of MST3K fame. As such, I will probably enjoy the sequels too, albeit not quite in the way Cameron intends.
Posted by lowedown on May 8, 2012 at 6:21 AM · Report this
@35 -- Many of the people claiming never to have seen it are lying.
Posted by Amanda on May 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 44
Oh fuck, I got dragged to one via family. There's no way in hell I'm letting that happen again. It was a shitty movie with nice 3d effects. I'd rather go on a quick hike outdoors than be trapped in the "wonders of Pandora" for hours.
Posted by undead ayn rand on May 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM · Report this
Go Cameron -- looking forward to the next Avatar. Just like I'm looking forward to the Alien prequel Prometheus.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on May 9, 2012 at 4:00 AM · Report this