Will in Seattle 1
What I don't get is why there weren't any bike cops.

It's not like they were going fast in the city.
Posted by Will in Seattle on May 10, 2012 at 6:16 PM · Report this
badstone 2
I think the "success" line was more about painting him as a wall street robber baron.
Posted by badstone on May 10, 2012 at 7:12 PM · Report this
Pip Hellion 3
There's a lot of gay shit going on right now...
whenever something explodes we don't see anything of it, again, for a while. Is this the last we'll hear of human sexual rights this election season?
Posted by Pip Hellion on May 10, 2012 at 9:33 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 4

Once again words don't match the deeds.

Case in point, he cleverly puts in a jibe that the intellectual property that allowed Microsoft, Google and Facebook to "thrive" (though we'll see this month about the latter) was based on property bought and paid for by the taxpayers of my parents generation.

Yet, at the same time (during the week of "thunderstorm" Irene) he signed the most egregious patent legislation ever purported on American people, switching from a first to create system that allows the true author/inventor to claim his work, to a first-to-patent system that favors the claiming of these inventions by those big and powerful enough to utilize the patent system.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http:// on May 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 5

Pretty sure facebook is thriving and I'm fairly certain their IPO will reflect that.

I obviously didn't witness the delivery or reception of the Romney's "success" line, but I got a kick just out of reading it, if only because I distinctly recall Obama also (genuinely) praising McCain for his success & standing as a war hero. This praise doesn't seem anywhere near as genuine, and is quite funny when viewed in that context, intentional or not.
Posted by mikethehammer on May 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM · Report this
Ipso Facto 6

<< Romney, he said, "is a patriotic American," and he congratulated him for the "success he's had as the head of a large financial firm," which earned derisive laughter from the crowd. >>

What's the joke? Many of Obama's top economic advisers came from high positions in financial institutions (i.e. Larry Summers, Rahm Emanuel).

The film Inside Job (2010 Oscar winner for best doc, narrated by Matt Damon) connects many of the dots.

Director Alex Moore presaged the Occupy movement as a response to the financial crisis way back in September 2010:

Q: Inside Job doesn't paint a pretty picture of post-crisis America. Will things change?

A: I am optimistic that the American people are going to respond to this. It's going to be slower and more gradual than certainly I would like. I think we had an opportunity when President Obama was elected, and he had an opportunity and a mandate, in fact, to really do something transformative about this, and he blew it. And that's a huge tragedy for this country.

He really did have an opportunity at a historically important moment and he had the power to do it, I think. Now that he has chosen not to, it's going to have to be a much more gradual process of the American people becoming more informed and angry and activist and eventually forcing their leaders to act.
Posted by Ipso Facto on May 11, 2012 at 2:24 AM · Report this