hth i saw 2 older couples fighting over the last bottle of something in safeway on rainier last night
Posted by Swearengen on June 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
blowdart 2
Of course there wasn't, everyone was too shell shocked due to the massive mark-up applied when tax was added at the till. I wonder how many people though this would make their booze cheaper.
Posted by blowdart on June 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM · Report this
Vince 3
I was talking to a store manager about seeing a bottle sold in a grocery for the first time. He told me that as soon as the booze hit the shelves, people started stealing it and that several hundred dollars worth was stolen in the first twenty four hours. I wasn't surprised.
Posted by Vince on June 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
hey, it takes a while to drink all the cheap liquor we stored up before the "private" stores jacked up the prices ...

give it time.

@3 for the Light Fingered Crosscut discount win.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 4, 2012 at 2:48 PM · Report this
Zebes 5
Because half a week is always enough time to determine the longterm effects of things.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on June 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM · Report this
@5, I have extrapolated from your comment that it will cause me to laugh for the next thirteen weeks straight.
Posted by gloomy gus on June 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM · Report this
@3 To be fair, "several hundred dollars worth" is just a couple bottles of Jack.
Posted by Chali2Na on June 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 8
@7 I assume that's after tax.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on June 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM · Report this
COMTE 9
Oh, there was plenty of alcohol-related crime over the weekend; every single person who bought booze was held-up at the check-out counter...
Posted by COMTE on June 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM · Report this
Dougsf 10
If you're interested in a fightin', barfin', pissin' your jeans and passing out type of evening, there's much better options for the cash-deficient ne'er-do-well than straight booze—assuming you're paying for it—and they've been on sale at most corner stores all along.

Of course booze is gonna be stolen, just like condoms and beer and pregnancy tests and toothbrushes and batteries are gonna be stolen. It's not weapons-grade uranium, stores can deal with this issue.
Posted by Dougsf on June 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 11
It occurred to me over the weekend that the two most frequent concerns I've heard about privatization are:

1) more people drinking more (i.e., more net alcohol consumption)

2) prices will go up.

I would think that if you are worried about (1), you ought to welcome (2), right?
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on June 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM · Report this
I went to Fred Meyer in Balfree in the early PM. The liquor shelf opposite the bakery area was already partialy emptied. One of their folks on the floor told me they we having a struggle keeping the shelves stocked. Demand is apparently pretty good.....and this is a Monday.
Posted by Fairhaven on June 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM · Report this
rob! 13
Oh, so NOW you swallow the tale that SPD spins. I'll bet there were frosty looks galore in certain genteel backwaters over who spotted the last bottle of St-Germain first.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on June 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM · Report this
@11: One also has to wonder if it's the same group of people griping about the "loss of a state revenue stream" that are griping about the enormous sales taxes.
Posted by pheeeew!crack!boom! on June 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM · Report this
I'd imagine that the higher prices and larger bottle sizes make booze a little more inaccesible to the get-drunk-on-the-cheap crowd - I haven't seen anything smaller than 750ml.
Posted by Subdued Excitement on June 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 16
So, the take home message is: now the state can fully fund education.

Right?

Cause we sure ain't using this for roads.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM · Report this
Dominic, we've already seen the criminal recklessness and it was statewide: the $28 million that a CEO spent to privatize booze.

Q: Does anyone at The Stranger read anyone else's articles? http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/fuck-…
Posted by Che Guava on June 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM · Report this
Fnarf 19
@17, there was no tax increase. The taxes were there before, just folded into the shelf price.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on June 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 20
Hah. I was biking up a hill 3 blocks from my house, and two vehicles of twentyish kids were parked, with the guys from the truck talking to the girls in the car. As I went by, the girls were saying something about bottle sizes and I caught a clear whiff of alcohol. I stopped at the top of the hill a few seconds later to get a description of their cars for the cops, and they were already driving off.

I've never seen this happen before, so by my authoritative, binding anecdotal analysis, selling booze at the QFC is solely responsible for youngsters driving drunk near Shilshole.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on June 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this
In lower Queen Anne, pods of resident street drunks were shoplifting mass quantities of shelf stock for several days ahead of the opening gun.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on June 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM · Report this
There is no "produce aisle" in stores, it is an area on a side of the store.
Posted by _db_ on June 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM · Report this
Welcome to the rest of the country, Washington.
Posted by kersy on June 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM · Report this
I saw two thirty to forty year old white-collar types nearly come to blows in the parking lot of my regular Roosevelt Safeway over a parking space at 5:30 this evening. I've gone there for years around that time and I've never before seen anything even close. It's true the lot was unusually packed, with more cars arriving steadily. A meaningless anecdote surely, but still, the excitement was palpable.
Posted by Edward on June 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 25
@20: way to go, citizen.
Posted by Max Solomon on June 5, 2012 at 7:29 AM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 26
Cool 4 day sample size Dom. That is a solid investigation based conclusion. I understand the hyperbole you are referring to but you are clearly having a knee-jerk hyperbolic counter-reaction. They are both absurd. Let's wait this out and see what happens like patient citizens without agendas.
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on June 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM · Report this
Well, I almost got annoyed when I saw how full the parking lot was at Costco. Does that count?
Posted by PCM on June 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM · Report this