Line Out Comments

cosby 1
The word "curator" has totally lost any meaning. My wife and I refer to it as the "c word" now - it's much worse than the other c word. At this point, using it referring to yourself (which is the only way anyone uses it because everyone only talks about themselves) is a bad joke.
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on June 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM · Report this
Whenever I hear this kind of holier-than-thou claptrap I'm tempted to jump in and start trolling. But you know what? Go ahead. Try to save your sacred cow from what the internet does. There's no better way to understand that speech in Hamlet anyway.
Posted by zipper on June 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM · Report this
Kathy Fennessy 3
@2 Holier than though? Hardly. I don't feel I'm fully qualified to curate anything, and so I don't.
Posted by Kathy Fennessy http://kathleencfennessy.blogspot.com/ on June 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM · Report this
I think we are talking about the difference between the kind of person who would take issue with your spelling of 'thou,' a familiar form of the second person pronoun, and 'though' which is a conjunction or adverb. The kind of person who would take issue would point out that it is a rather large distinction, that the word 'thou' preserves a shade of meaning that has no exact parallel in English today, and that it is to the benefit of our culture to preserve such things carefully.

I happen to fall in the other camp: the one that says, 'I know what you meant, and I'm aware that not everyone shares my fascination with words, so really, it's not very important.'
Posted by zipper on June 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Jason Josephes 5
Curating = booking. It's that simple. And I'm immediately reminded of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMwhZryRU…
Posted by Jason Josephes http://www.myspace.com/bluemoonseattle on June 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM · Report this
TheLando 6
I got a coupon in the mail from a prominent online underwear store which boasted of its "Carefully curated selection."

It is I, the curator of underpants!

Makes me think of the guy from the Aqualung album cover.
Posted by TheLando on June 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM · Report this
Kathy Fennessy 7
@6 "Watching as the frilly panties run..."
Posted by Kathy Fennessy http://kathleencfennessy.blogspot.com/ on June 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM · Report this
The Internet is cable TV with a billion channels - much of it dreck. The process of selecting interesting and compelling content around a certain theme and gathering it in one place does not require the study or commitment of true curation; but it is a similar task. And it's a valuable service. Separating the wheat from the chaff; making decisions to include or exclude based on quality or applicability to a theme; and ordering, highlighting, commenting, and inviting a community to comment are very cool and somewhat skilled services. I appreciate those who perform them well, and return to their sites again and again.

It's also a great way to add value to an existing content stream. I'm a content creator. On my music label page, I could post solely about my label's artists, their music and mine, my personal opinions about music, and projects in progress. I do all that, but I also aggregate and select other content which people who enjoy my original content would also enjoy and find useful. What do I call that?

I think this is a case of a word with a specific definition acquiring a more generalized meaning. And I think it has done so because there are more people doing curatorial tasks than there used to be. So it's a change in usage driven by a change in culture. When we all have flying cars, the term "pilot" will be similarly debased. Until someone coins a better phrase, I believe we will be stuck with the expansion of this one.
Posted by thatguyfrombvue on June 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM · Report this
Kathy Fennessy 9
@8 Good points all.
Posted by Kathy Fennessy http://kathleencfennessy.blogspot.com/ on June 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM · Report this