Line Out Comments

yos-wa 1
What about Milk Music? Olympia not close enough to be considered a Seattle band?

REP THE PNW, MILK MUSIC!
Posted by yos-wa on June 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM · Report this
tallchris 2
@1 Beat me to it.

I'm curious how Milk Music's lethargic approach to setting up goes with a pro-festival tech crew.
Posted by tallchris http://policeteeth.bandcamp.com on June 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM · Report this
@1
It's like saying an Ann Arbor, Michigan group is from Detroit, so, uh, no?
Posted by Dave Segal on June 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM · Report this
yos-wa 4
@3 - maybe we should celebrate any washington act that's good and ended up on the pitchfork festival?
Posted by yos-wa on June 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
yos-wa 5
also, whenever you're a washington band and you're out of state/on tour, you become a seattle band. whether or not you claim it, that's what you end up getting called. might as well own it.
Posted by yos-wa on June 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM · Report this
I think more Wa. bands should refute the Seattle claim if they're not from Seattle. Shoreline, Redmond, Bellevue, Renton, I could see, being immediately bordering properties. But Bellingham, Tacoma, Olympia, Spokane, and (presumably) Everett are their own places with their own internal musical economies and scenes.
Posted by gi on June 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 7
I, for one, a, weirdly excited to go to a festival whose headliners start at 8:30.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on June 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 8
I mean, and for the lineup, too.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on June 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM · Report this
olympia bands don't like being called "seattle bands" since they aren't from seattle. seems to make sense to me!

what seattle bands should be playing at pitchfork fest in the first place? besides shabazz palaces i can't think of any seattle bands people outside of the northwest are super excited about.
Posted by benny baggins on June 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM · Report this
didn't mean that as an insult against seattle, just curious... i mean, the festival is a business first and foremost. wouldn't really make sense from a business stand point to pick a band from every large city in the country to play...
Posted by benny baggins on June 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM · Report this
I wasn't so much complaining about no Seattle bands being on the bill as I was making an observation. It's not like Pitchfork Fest is some kind of end-all/be-all event, and I doubt any Seattle musicians are really emotionally torn up about not participating.
Posted by Dave Segal on June 8, 2012 at 3:18 PM · Report this
tallchris 12
@5: Yep, that's totally my experience as well. When my old band toured a lot nationally from 2003-2006, the only places that knew anything about Bellingham were towns that were basically pretty much like Bellingham (Missoula, Flagstaff, Chico).
Posted by tallchris http://policeteeth.bandcamp.com on June 9, 2012 at 8:03 AM · Report this
wilbur@work 13
people like @6 should be universally ignored. You're from WA, or you're not.
Posted by wilbur@work on June 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM · Report this