Line Out Comments

very bad homo 1
I'll wear them on the bus, but almost never out walking around. The big city is just too dangerous for pedestrians already and I don't need the distraction getting me killed.
Posted by very bad homo on June 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM · Report this
I wear headphones (except when driving) in almost all situations. I don't have a stereo at home, so I listen to everything through headphones on either my computer or portable electronic device. Because of this I am pretty picky about the quality of my headphones and even have a small headphone amp to improve the quality at low-mid volumes.
Posted by sisyphusgal on June 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 3
I always wear headphones on the bus and if I am taking a walk in a quiet residential area (little to no traffic etc.) I NEVER wear them downtown walking around or in any environment that would put me in high danger of being hurt.

On the other hand, drivers should be allowed to plow into anyone texting while walking in downtown Seattle or listening to their headphones along 4th avenue while being oblivious as to what is going on around them.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM · Report this
I wear them on the bus and while walking around, I still pay attention to my surroundings when walking. However when I go indoors I take them off.
Posted by Seattle14 on June 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 5
Oh and another pet peeve of mine: When I am standing at a bus stop waiting for my bus after work with my headphones on, that is not an invitation to ask me questions about "Did the so and so bus go by". First I don't care about a bus that I'm not waiting for and second I will probably just ignore you. I do make an exception if it is an elderly person or I am the only other person at the stop.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM · Report this
treacle 6
DON"T wear them when bicycling. Just don't do it.

Get an iPhone holder for your bicycle and use the external speaker (or just keep it in your pocket with the vol turned up).
Posted by treacle on June 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM · Report this
I also don't buy into the theory that they are dangerous to wear downtown when walking around or people get lost in their own world, from what I've seen people still pay attention even when headphones are in.
Posted by Seattle14 on June 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM · Report this
treacle 8
5, whoa, really? Sounds fairly anti-social there dude. Can't stop listening to that Radiohead bridge for a second to help a sister out?
Posted by treacle on June 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM · Report this
wingedkat 9
Headphones on the bus and at my desk, but never on the bike and only when I have a long walk along a busy street. Never ear buds, over-the-ear only. I'll use my iphone's built-in speakers for podcasts (not music) while biking or walking in a more isolated area, but not if there are other pedestrians around.
Posted by wingedkat on June 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM · Report this
1) always wear them, bike, bus, or walk
2) full volume at all times
3) Genius shuffles or full albums only
4) don't care at all times because any biker that plows into a 6'4 275 person who is wearing headphones is gonna end up more hurt than me
5) never acknowledge anyone speaking when headphones are in
Posted by Swearengen on June 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM · Report this
COMTE 11
I tend to not wear headphones when on-the-street, as I just find them too distracting & like @1, would prefer to maintain a higher degree of situational awareness. I'll wear them occasionally on the bus, if I'm going some distance, but I do mute them when speaking to the driver, or any other person in a commercial setting.

Nowadays, I find I wear them most frequently when doing home chores outside: gardening, mowing, etc., and I'll occasionally wear them inside if my landlady upstairs is home.
Posted by COMTE http://www.chriscomte.com on June 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM · Report this
pfffter 12
I will often wear them downtown as a deterrent for those pesky human spammers in the retail core. Most of the time there is nothing playing, and most of the time, they leave me alone.
Posted by pfffter on June 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM · Report this
Volo 13
I can hear pretty well with my earbuds in, as long as the music isn't cranked. It's usually just NPR anyway. There's no reason not to wear them on 4th Ave, just look before (and during) crossing the street. They're kind of a safety device on the bus, as they help me avoid conversations with obnoxious drunks.
Posted by Volo on June 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM · Report this
stirwise 14
I wear mine walking all the time (and I walk all the time, every day), but I take them out at the grocery store, when boarding and exiting the bus, and occasionally when crossing major and/or awkward intersections. I have headphones with volume and playback controls to make it easier to turn off quickly when I do take the 'phones out, but also so I don't necessarily need to remove the buds entirely to quickly assess my surroundings. I also keep them off in situations where I either want to be more aware of my surroundings (late at night, very early in the morning) or when I'm likely to have to interact with other people (walking my dog through the park). All my little rules are the culmination of 10 years of fine-tuning, ever since I got a minidisc player (replaced by an iPod in 2003) and stopped driving.
I got yelled at once by a cop for jaywalking with headphones on. He told me next time to at least take the 'phones off when I jaywalk. Mr. Stirwise said that was too preachy, I was just glad he didn't ticket me.
Posted by stirwise on June 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 15
@8, most are like you so just anti-social to idiots who are so self centered as to think their question is more important than someone who wants to be left alone.

So please, learn what anti-social is as opposed to wanting to be left alone.

Asswipe
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM · Report this
NaFun 16
I always wear my headphones as long as I'm not driving. Grocery store, bus, walking downtown, walking in the CD late at night, biking. I take one or both earbuds out when talking with clerks or bus drivers or fellow pedestrians. I also make sure my head is on a pivot and I know what's going on around me, especially when biking. I have far too many hours of music to listen to in Google Listen to have rules where I can't listen.
Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on June 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM · Report this
I am a douchebag magnet. Went headphoneless for years, and the only people who ever tried to talk to me were either hitting on me or were those Seattle people who self righteously (and so obviously self consciously) decided that they were going to be friendly that day because "That's how people SHOULD be!" They weren't interested in me, they wanted to, like, boast about their enlightening pilgrimage to India and shit.
Posted by Too many annoying people here on June 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 18
Bus, or when walking where there aren't people.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM · Report this
Hernandez 19
I haven't used a portable music player since my last iPod broke, and honestly I've barely missed it. I always have music on at home or in the car, but when out in the world I've learned to enjoy interacting with things.

Seriously, this city is littered with iPhone zombies. I have co-workers who keep their earbuds in all day and literally never talk to anyone. It's fucking creepy. Unless you're an anti-social jerk to begin with, in which case you're basically doing us all a favor.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on June 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Fnarf 20
I only wear headphones sitting down at home, and rarely then. Wearing them in the street is just wrong; this is your world, live in it.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on June 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 21
I don't like strangers talking to me in public, personally, so I wear headphones a lot. Sometimes when my media devices die I will still put in headphones as a means to avoid contact with other people. Call me a misanthrope, but I would much rather be hanging out with Iggy Pop or even Ira Glass than connecting with my fellow man about 70% of the time. It's not that it's old-fashioned to not like having your headphones in -- it's just that us misanthropes now have a way to cut y'all friendly people out, and it is amazing. And if I'm crossing the street or whatever, it's really easy to pop one of my headphones out for a few seconds.
Posted by icouldliveinhope on June 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM · Report this
Dougsf 22
Even with music cranked; on BART, it's actually quieter with my earbuds in. Also, pretty much wear them the rest of my commute as well. Not hearing everything people have to say can help preserve your sanity, as well as your opinion of your fellow man.

Generally only take them out on more cutty blocks.
Posted by Dougsf on June 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 23
Also, @17, pretty much. I don't wanna hear about yr stupid bullshit and I don't want to field someone asking for my number or why I "look so sad" or ask me where I work. Fnarf, I completely disagree with you -- I can interact with my world when I want to, but when I'm just waiting to catch my fucking bus or walking home from the bar, interaction time is over and it's time for me time. Gotta recharge for the interaction with my world that I actually want.
Posted by icouldliveinhope on June 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
kcrobinson 24
My rule for bus riding with headphones is to remove the headphones from at least one ear while entering and exiting the bus. There are so many audio cues between the ORCA card scanner, the surrounding traffic, and giving polite greetings and thanks to the bus driver.
Posted by kcrobinson http://www.facebook.com/kcrobinson on June 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM · Report this
I often wear ear-buds when biking (not the in-ear type that block external sounds). Usually I bike on bike trails, not car-infested streets, and the volume is always low enough to hear external stuff okay.

I do get annoyed when people ALWAYS are wearing headphones. There are people I see on the bus everyday who always are wearing them, essentially prohibiting interaction with other humans. I support their right to do so, but it still annoys me.
Posted by Nezz on June 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM · Report this
Dougsf 26
I'm sensing one's opinion of headphones in public is probably heavily influenced by whether one commutes to work by car or public transit.
Posted by Dougsf on June 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM · Report this
biffp 27
I shouldn't wear them on the Vespa, but I try to keep it on KEXP when I do. Listening to Menzingers, the Men, Death Grips, Killer Mike at 50 miles/hour is death-defying. Unless you all are walking that fast or are walking in Manhattan, you are some massive pussy asses.
Posted by biffp on June 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM · Report this
My rules are for sunglasses. I don't recall this being an issue in the Northwest, but it is in Los Angeles. The basic rule is: take off your fucking sunglasses when you are indoors.

Exceptions:
1. You're in mourning and/or blisteringly hungover
2. You have a medical condition (e.g., your eyes were just dilated)
3. You are Jack Nicholson
4. You have a personal note from Jack Nicholson approving your wearing of sunglasses indoors.
Posted by California on June 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM · Report this
spamky 29
I see a lot of people wearing them while DRIVING on the FREEWAY (live in Denver) and I just don't get it, the adapters for your car stereo aren't that expensive, especially when you can afford a car that was built in the last 3 years. Can't count how many people I see in BMW and Lexus SUV's with those stupid white ear buds.
Posted by spamky on June 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM · Report this
T 30
I listen to my headphones all the time while I'm out and about. I'll take one earbud out as I'm boarding/exiting a bus, and I'll take them both out if somebody tries to talk to me.

As for record stores, I'll give a listen to whatever's playing when I first walk in - if it isn't agreeable to me, the earbuds go right back in. The only store I'll grant an exception to this rule is Singles.

For some reason, wearing earbuds while grocery shopping has always seemed weird to me. I don't know why.
Posted by T on June 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM · Report this
I don't wear them when just wandering around town--I'm with @1; I like to experience the city rather than tune it out. I typically wear earbuds outside only when running, and even then I am not a huge fan of loud noises and so they aren't so loud I won't hear other things (like, say, an approaching car).

The exception to the above, especially on transit, is when I'm having a day where my anxiety levels are high but I still need to get shit done, in which case I am willing to be rude and go into my own bubble.
Posted by Cow on June 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
I sure enjoy strolling around to my random music, adjusting my stride to each new tune. I've found some lovely earbuds that allow just the sharper ambient noises to intrude. Sunday afternoon's perambulation all around the sunny Hill was just delicious. Hardly anyone else out walking aside from the commercial parts of the neighborhood, either, which seemed odd.
Posted by gloomy gus on June 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
BLUE 33
My rules are:

1. I can wear them wherever the hell I care to (often on the bus, listening to edumacational podcast thingees).
2. You should wear them wherever the hell you care to so long as you're not stoopid enough to be oblivious enough that you interfere with my life.
Posted by BLUE on June 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Like several others here, I use headphones (and sometimes sunglasses too) as protection. I walk a great deal and usually don't keep the volume terribly loud - certainly not loud enough to drown out traffic noise when crossing the street - but when I'm walking I'm usually recharging between social encounters rather than looking for one right then. It gives me more of a justification for ignoring catcalls/ human spam/ crazy people. I take them out for any human interaction that I want to occur - greeting or thanking the bus driver, checking out at the grocery store, etc - but I heartily agree with those that use it as a deterrent for unwanted and sometimes overwhelming interaction.
Posted by walking time is me time on June 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
Lilliable 35
For me there's a difference between wearing ear buds and listening to music. They're always in and the music's on if I'm exercising. The rest of the time they're in, but without music. Sometimes I have anxiety or start to panic and being able to put on music helps. The bonus is that the sidewalk solicitors leave me alone when they see them.
Posted by Lilliable on June 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM · Report this
mine are in my ears the minute i step outside my door. not to say that i am listening to anything all the time, but it's really good at keeping people from talking to me. especially those damn clipboard wielding pests outside QFC.
Posted by Rowlf on June 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM · Report this
Estey 37
I do most of my listening to albums via iPod on the bus, and a little bit of walking around with it, and some at home with proper headphones on when Mrs. Estey is sleeping. (I can't use those ear buds, they just don't stay in.) But I have been enjoying bus rides without headphones on lately, taking in the scenery, enjoying the hum and flow of motion in traffic on public transportation. But I have the iPod handy, in case young white people nearby start endlessly discussing coffee or what they're doing after graduation or whatever. (And if you're going to be any kind of writer, and always have the 'buds or 'phones on, you might miss some of the best material expressed otherwise near you at places like Baranof's or somewhere else culturally zesty.)
Posted by Estey on June 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM · Report this
stirwise 38
@20: This may be my world, but I spend about 3 hours a day walking by myself (or with my dog) and that shit gets *lonely* without something to listen to.
Posted by stirwise on June 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM · Report this
urn 39
@29 I see people here in Seattle wearing them while driving, too. I keep some mild faith in my fellow humans by telling myself that they're using the headphones as a headset for the phone, and actually doing the right thing.
Posted by urn on June 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM · Report this
#33, Those are some good rules.

Wow, I've been boarding the bus with my headphones on (buds in both ears!) for years and always assumed my bus driver could give a shit about me. Honestly, I never actually thought about it either way. After reading these comments and seeing how crazy judgmental and rules-y people are, I'm not so sure.
Posted by Seattle's a bit uptight, eh? on June 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM · Report this
biffp 41
@38 seems normal to me. Music is an art form, and why would indulging in art be denying yourself? Big difference between that and not being present and in the moment because you are texting.

On a separate note, you should get treated for your Asperger's if you find that you are wearing headphones so you can ignore people by pretending not to hear them.
Posted by biffp on June 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
ItsAllOverNow 42
I've never found a pair of ear buds that fits me right so I wear a small pair of over ear headphones. From my limited experience with ear buds I do think the over ear style let you hear more of what's going on around you than ear buds do, which I do appreciate.

I'll occasionally wear mine in the grocery store, however they come off immediately if anyone speaks to me.
Posted by ItsAllOverNow http://nowaybro.blogspot.com/ on June 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM · Report this
Chelydra_serpentina 43
I could never wear earbuds in public, period. I have ADD, so I already have the problem of getting so deeply immersed in something that I completely tune out my surroundings. Then I get the bejeezus scared out of me by people or things that seem to come out of nowhere. Take away my ability to hear what's going on around me, and it's 10 times worse. If I lower the volume enough to be able to hear ambient sounds, I might as well not be listening to music at all. It completely disappears from my awareness the second I focus on my surroundings.

And oh yes, background music - especially stuff I like or am familiar with - completely robs me of the ability to follow what someone's saying. Bits of the conversation "drop" because the music repeatedly distracts my brain for a half a second.

(This is also why I enjoy Family Guy. The irrelevant cutaways that so many people find so annoying are an animated version of the way my head is working all the time.)
Posted by Chelydra_serpentina on June 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM · Report this
34x42 44
lots of pussies commenting on this. i wear headphones all the time, in whatever situation i happen to be in. walking anywhere, driving, bus, bike, skateboarding, work, gym, wherever. have been like this for most of my life, i'm 32. i doubt things will change.

sometimes, however, i don't feel like listening, so i don't. in all those same situations.

i would never have guessed that adults around me have fucking safety rules for their headphones!
Posted by 34x42 on June 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 45
I know that serious audio people hate the iPod earbuds because of some mix of quality and lack of noise isolation, but I like them because I can still safely hear what's happening outside of my music when I'm listening to them out in the world.

At work or on airplanes I use better headphones that block outside noise.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on June 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM · Report this
@5: Gee, hope you never need someone to help you out someday.
Posted by bigyaz on June 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM · Report this
stirwise 47
@44: Yeah, I'm a pussy because I don't like getting fucking run over by buses when I'm on my bike. Put it on a t-shirt and I'll wear it; I'm proud not to be a reckless idiot.
Posted by stirwise on June 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM · Report this
tabathalphabet 48
Rules. They're more about being a person, and less about safety. I feel fine with my safety in headphones. But as a human...
1. Always take them out to thank bus driver/any other person in a human interaction/always, all the time.
2. Only wear them on back streets. If I want to listen to headphones, the point is that I want to be alone. If I'm on a street, with the other humans, it's time to be a human with those humans and open the opportunity to maybe talk or acknowledge someone, anyone.
3. I used to be devoutly against biking and headphones. Now I bike with headphones in - but only on back streets, and not too loud. And only with crappy headphones that let in too much sound. I've never had a problem hearing what's around me this way, and when I'm biking alone, who's gonna talk to me? Not worried about the human thing. If you wanna yell as I go by, I'll hear you.
4. And then, sometimes, for some moods, I'm allowed to wear them whenever I want. The rule is to be a human with humans, but if I've had a long, bad day and I'm sitting on a crowded bus or walking down a busy street, I give myself a gift and check out.
Posted by tabathalphabet on June 12, 2012 at 4:23 PM · Report this
tabathalphabet 49
Man, I'm reading through the comments on this. Maybe it's my southern upbringing or whatnot, but so many of them make me sad. Poop. Does anyone care even a little bit about community anymore? So many of these feel so entitled, so cliquey, like the only people who are "allowed" to interact with each other are those with relationships already established. That sort of mentality makes this world a fucking cold and lonely place. And sure, getting asked to sign petitions and join campaigns and for a dollar or why you're so sad, all of these things get annoying. But these people, the annoying ones, they're minute in comparison to the hundreds of people who rush by you daily.
Posted by tabathalphabet on June 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM · Report this
emma's bee 50
Like many others commenting here, NEVER but NEVER while cycling. Pretty much only while on some exercise contraption or on a plane.
Posted by emma's bee on June 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM · Report this
The problem with headphones on the bus is some jackass because he's always listened to his music at 11 is losing his hearing so he has to turn it up so that if he's in the back of the bus you can hear the buzz-buzz-buzz of his headphones at the front of the bus. What's almost as bad is someone who doesn't understand that putting your cellphone on speakerphone and using it like a regular phone is stupid and more than that is fucking annoying to the people next to you.
Posted by Weekilter on June 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
gunmmoontree 52
Adding a soundtrack of my choice greatly enhances the experience of walking about the city.
I do not care for the sound of traffic, diesel engines, or loud exchanges between folks carrying on about their personal matters.
The music in my ears is chosen to suit my mood or the weather.
I have, on more than one occasion, exchanged Pods with strangers on the bus for a song or two just to see what others ears are into.
I am a conscientious ear-bud wearer: always take one out for personal transactions, am mindful of my surroundings, & of course never wear them when with friends. But then, I don't text in mixed company either.
My only no-buds-allowed rule when I'm by myself is while riding my bicycle.
Posted by gunmmoontree on June 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 53
@17 chuuch.

headphones on fulltime, NFG. saves me having to listen to some christ-flavored anecdote about nothing or stare at bullets into the soul of the white dude trying to talk to me about soul food in the south end. fuck is wrong with y'all?
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on June 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM · Report this
Michael of the Green 54
These are the concerns of a curmudgeon with too little of import occupying his mind. Countless things of more significance with regard to how we relate to one another deserve more consideration of rule-making and etiquette-crafting. I'll tune out the world in favor of a bit of loud music or podcast listening, fully aware that I might bump into someone some day. It hasn't happened yet, but if it does, I'll say, "pardon me," with a humble smile, and I'll move on. If the subject of my ill-directed steps decides to brood on the decline of humanity and grumble to him/herself about how everything would be better if only things would stop changing, then that's his/her prerogative, but I'd suggest that you just accept my apology and move on as well. It's my experience that such an expenditure of indignant energies provides those who are so inclined with a sort of relief or reward that is as sought-after as anything else on that grocery list of theirs. If not for you, they'll get their fix with someone else. I'm a super conscientious person, but I don't have the energy to tiptoe around others' neuroses. And if I can serve to satisfy another's penchant for self-righteousness, then it's win-win, right? Oy, Seattle...
Posted by Michael of the Green on June 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM · Report this
@54, why you write so hard?
Posted by gloomy gus on June 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM · Report this
Looking For a Better Read 56
I have to agree with Travis Ritter; there are too many interesting things going on in the world around us, and passing through time and space with the ear buds in would just cheat me out of fully experiencing this. There are exceptions:

1. At the gym, mostly because they invariably play highly irritating music on the PA system.
2. At work, when I need to focus on what I'm working on and thus have to drown out the office conversations around me.

That's it.
Posted by Looking For a Better Read on June 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM · Report this
MK1 57
Curious to hear from more non-heavy set males on headphones in public. When I'm walking around alone I want to be alert and I need all my senses to do that. Even having headphones in on the bus makes me a little uncomfortable.
Posted by MK1 on June 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM · Report this
I suspect that one's need or desire to shield themselves from stranger's comments and attention seeking is heavily influenced by whether on is male or female. Being a woman out in public (especially alone) makes you a magnet for strangers' attention, usually in fairly unpleasant ways. Having earbuds in (even when they're not actually playing anything) is just another line of defense for deflecting some of that attention and/or having a better excuse for ignoring it. I'm not really interested in putting up with the mass of misogynistic, disgusting, offensive and/or threatening bullshit so I might occasionally have a positive interaction with a stranger that I'm never going to see again. If that makes me a misanthrope, so be it.
Posted by Sphinx on June 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM · Report this
LEE. 59
My photography teacher in high school would flip me shit for listening to my Walkman all the time in class during lab hours. He'd say it disconnects people from each other yadda yadda yadda...but he wouldn't make me take them out which was great because they weren't allowed at my school, not even at lunch. Truth be told, the music I was listening to back then was fucking awesome and the people I went to school with were not so it was a great call.

I use my iPod every now and again when I walk around the city nowadays and certainly on the bus, but I can't help but feel like my teacher was talking about some of you people. Pull the fucking plug sometimes. You're in a nicely sized city with plenty of interesting things going on, not a socially vapid day care center for over privileged Orange County teenagers.
Posted by LEE. on June 13, 2012 at 12:03 AM · Report this
Without fail, you must always wear headphones in an airport. You truly do not want to hear the muzak, the conversations, or the general barking that's happening around you.
Posted by Casual_Observer on June 13, 2012 at 12:17 AM · Report this
watchout5 61
I usually don't unless there's something new and specific I really want to listen to that can't wait. Almost never in situations where there are people around I may or may not interact with. Most common would be like, bus rides, longer walks in the morning when no one is around. Places I'll pretty much never put headphones in, stores, home, sitting next to a hot chick.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on June 13, 2012 at 5:50 AM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 62
Often I will listen to music so I CAN focus more on what's going on around me. I sometimes feel overwhelmed by outside stimuli in the city and having music on let's me navigate my world more effectively. And since walking is my "vehicle" to work and back (35 minutes each way) I sometimes just need that extra boost of energy to get me home...I'm tired and eagre to block out the noise of the city.

But at the same time I don't always have them on and I don't enjoy them when I'm on walking/bike paths or quiet streets. And I will always take them off to engage with other people.

(And it is a distinct pleasure of mine to sit on a bus and absorb the world that passes by while I listen to a good album...especially on a long ride. My mind can wander and remember and contemplate. It really is a joy for me.)

Posted by ArtBasketSara on June 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this