Savage Love Podcast Comments

Fancy's_Pants 1
Darling Dan, you are right that women need to stop deferring to men and just say "Look, it stinks and/or tastes schmegy, take a shower"

BUT

You forgot to tell the menfolk to get socialized that it's not personal if we ask! I'd like to know if it was me!
Posted by Fancy's_Pants on June 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM · Report this
eroszouk 2
This episode was almost "unlistenable".
The audio was very poor, full of echos and the audience was very annoying.
Posted by eroszouk on June 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM · Report this
Savage Love is filmed before a live studio audience.
Posted by Dragonrose36 on June 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM · Report this
I'm gonna go to a bar and read Atlas Shrugged very conspicuously.
Posted by Dragonrose36 on June 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM · Report this
Well I think Garfunkel and Oates sound "shitty and I don't know why"
Posted by Lila123 on June 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM · Report this
Didn't like this podcast. Next time, stay in the studio and use recorded calls.
Posted by bma83 on June 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM · Report this
Loved the recording, GaO as well as the "It's a vagina, not a clown car" line :D
Posted by Mark Jo on June 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM · Report this
@2, @5, @6: you sure have high standards for your free entertainment

Loved this, sounded like everyone was having a blast.
Posted by eptified on June 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM · Report this
bella28 9
Jesus CHRIST everybody, calm down! Maaannnn...how bout sacrificing a little "quality" to raise a HUGE amount of money for LGBT rights in Washington? Ew. What a bunch of brats.

anyway! just wanted to chime in that Garfunkle and Oates had me CRYING LAUGHING. I'm not saying that last song was about me. But I'm pretty sure it was about me.
Posted by bella28 on June 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
bella28 10
ooops! I hadn't listened to the rest of the podcast when they do two more songs. That one was definitely NOT about me hahahahha they are so so so funny ;)
Posted by bella28 on June 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
It was a blast. Garfunkle and Oates were amazing, and Sen Murray looked kind of stunned (in a good way) when he got a well deserved standing ovation. Dan has an incredible stage presence, and was a ton of fun. Not to mention the TSARY! Those were some eye stunning dreads, I gotta say.
Posted by SeattleKim on June 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM · Report this
That was fantastic, it was like a funny and filthy version of Prairie Home Companion.
Posted by anais on June 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM · Report this
Not sure what the commenters above were talking about - I thought it sounded great!
Posted by infomofo on June 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM · Report this
Summer campers at Penn State? Never funny.
Posted by Evil Curls on June 20, 2012 at 12:58 AM · Report this
Those girls were annoying. They sound like every Vancouver commercial drive / Portland / Seattle spoken word night since Sara Silverman got popular 7 years ago. But I'm really glad you raised all that money for a good cause!
Posted by Giraffesjulie on June 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM · Report this
It sounds fine, and it was fun to listen!

I just wish I could see the video for Dan's expression after the two-hands-and-vagina question.
Posted by fahima on June 20, 2012 at 3:44 AM · Report this
mwdean 17
G&O were cutesy, but their love advice was pretty much amateur hour. Dan kept having to correct them. If I'd gotten a question to Dan just to have G&O answer it I would've been kinda bummed.
Posted by mwdean on June 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM · Report this
Garfunkle and Oates sure were mediocre! Well, I know some folks like them, but meh, you can find better blue comedy music. Allow me to recommend the Poxy Boggards and their sister band The Merry Wives of Windsor. Both are Renn Fair bands, though I learned of their music elsewhere. For Poxy Boggards music, allow me to recommend "The Day You Said Goodbye" and "The Ballad of Onan." For the Merry Wives of Windsor, I will recommend "Lusty Young Smith" and "Happily Ever After." Both bands also play non-dirty music.
Posted by nanoboy on June 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
Harper 19
What is with the Net? What a bunch of whiners. I thought it was a GREAT show. Dan was terrific, the singers were amazing and hilarious, and I loved the whole thing. And they raised a damn good amount of money for a great cause.
Posted by Harper on June 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM · Report this
aureolaborealis 20
Garfunkel & Oates = meh. I can't figure out whether they're talentless, or just incredibly lazy.
Posted by aureolaborealis on June 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM · Report this
Thanks for sharing the fundraiser show as a free episode! I'm going to Washington United for Marriage's website and donating what I think it was worth to have this show to listen to in traffic this afternoon.
Posted by tunnelhead on June 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM · Report this
22 Comment Pulled (Spam) Comment Policy
I enjoyed the podcast. Garfunkel and Oates performance was great fun. I also enjoyed there chiming in on a few advice comments. A nice change of pace. Please invite Riki & Kate back some time.
Posted by motobojo on June 23, 2012 at 10:37 AM · Report this
ASX 24
Great podcast Dan. Enjoyed Garfunkel & Oates.
Posted by ASX on June 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM · Report this
Worst episode ever.
Posted by pfffft on June 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM · Report this
I thought this episode was great and as a bonus it was almost twice as long as your average show, had hilarious and catchy music and it benefited a good cause. Quit yer bitchin haters
Posted by Lilah on June 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
Dislike the opening monologue. Dan may think he has no Mormon ally, but there are plenty of us who love and admire our gay neighbors. There are Mormons everywhere petitioning for change in our church for equality, and it was painful, as a longtime fan, to hear you spend so long being petty and mean about my religion. There is room for nuance in religion. If everyone who believed in equality left their church over gay rights, there would be no one left in the churches who will make change for the better.
Posted by Utah Josh on June 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM · Report this
I've listened to all the podcasts and enjoyed almost all of them- this one is the first I've listened to a few times. Great job, great cause, great music.
Posted by Earworms on June 26, 2012 at 8:25 AM · Report this
Once again a caller used 'bald' as a pejorative. As a balding 24 year old it always stings horribly.
Posted by Cicada on June 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM · Report this
This was such a fun episode! Garfunkel & Oates had me laughing/crying. So talented. The audience response really added to the good vibe. To all of those who came in here to just drop a turd, I feel really sorry for you.
Posted by Pipp on June 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM · Report this
You've been hyping this episode for weeks, and you got me so excited. Now that I've actually heard it, I feel an overwhelming urge to demand my money back - and I didn't even give you any money!

Savage Love questions were a very small part of the show, and Dan didn't give serious answers to any of them. I was also disappointed that he didn't take any questions from the audience - I'm not exactly sure this qualifies as "live."

But the biggest problem was Garfunkel and Oates. Their songwriting was bad, their singing was bad, their jokes were horrible, and their rapping was worse than horrible. Even with an ultra-liberal crowd in an ultra-liberal city, by the end of the night you could hear the audience becoming angry. It was cool that the Tech-Savvy At Risk Youth were there live, but that wasn't nearly enough to save this disaster.

I thought this comments page was just going to be flooded with praise for this episode. I'm glad I'm not the only person with the courage to point out how awful G&O were. I'm thinking about unsubscribing from the podcast entirely over this episode.
Posted by Simon and Hall on June 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM · Report this
TheLando 32
Put me in the underwhelmed category re: Garfunkel and Oates. I think the show was a great idea for a great cause, and I enjoyed most of it, but those chicks are just not that funny and definitely got old really, really fast. You should have stuck with Lucy!
Posted by TheLando on July 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM · Report this
Loved Savage Love Live!
Posted by za_clint on November 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM · Report this
You know that it's a brand new Garfunkel and Oates song when they cannot stop giggling at their own jokes. XD They're normally so dead on and sharp in their performance, it was pretty adorable and the song really was that funny. Speaking as a woman who has perfected the fade-away.
I really enjoyed this show, the girls were fantastic and the advice was both funny and informative. :D Thanks!
Posted by MarzipanLouise on April 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM · Report this

We're sorry, but commenting won't be available while we switch over to the new MAGNUM version of the Lovecast. Your comments will be back up tomorrow- please come back and let us know what you think!