No way! That'd be like having Line Out and Slog posts all in a jumble together, or if the Stranger added a lesbian staff writer like they did that one time in the 90s I think it was.
Posted by gloomy gus on June 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM · Report this
michael strangeways 2
I gather she is referring to the official PrideFest RED parties, one for men and one for women, but it behooves me to point out that MANY events during Pride, and monthly for that matter, are very inclusive. "Hey Tranny It's Tranny" immediately comes to mind. Many of the events produced by Qulture Qreative/Hard Times Press (L.A. Kendall/David Richey), Kevin Kauer's Nark Magazine, and Sinfinite/ElektroPop are open to all and attended by all genders and sexualities. The Purr/Lobby/Neighbours/Social events this weekend are all very open to everyone as well. Obviously Cuff/Eagle and the Wildrose parties tend to skew toward their respective centric genders but...so what? There's many options for all kinds of people.
Posted by michael strangeways http://www.seattlegayscene.com/ on June 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 3
Maybe if Seattle lesbians stopped giving any male the stink eye the moment they stepped in to the Wild Rose, even if there is an all inclusive event...
Posted by TheMisanthrope on June 21, 2012 at 9:34 AM · Report this
s.maxim 4
whatever. This lesbian is going to the miniature boat race on greenlake. Who else is with me?
Posted by s.maxim on June 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 5
This seems to me to be a non-problem. Most of these last minutes Pride dramas are.

I have a lesbian co-worker. We get together every year for a pride cocktail. Isn't that enough?
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on June 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM · Report this
Njoy 6
I don't know about pride week but It's true that PDX does this better. I went to blow pony and it was ridiculously fun. All of the Seattle gay themed parties I go to seem to be gay guy only or lesbian only parties. And when it is like that, it makes a straight girl like me feel a little out of place. Why not accept everyone for who they are?
Posted by Njoy on June 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM · Report this
Have your own party. Or maybe go to the parade and the Seattle center and enjoy the party there. All very mixed and inclusive options.
Posted by randomitis on June 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM · Report this
For those of us who don't take part in Pride, maybe someone can give more background on what this dispute is about? What are these mysterious segregated events? Who organizes them?
Posted by Asbel on June 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM · Report this
I wasn't aware that they only had one pride party in Portland, and no "segregated" parties.
Posted by learn something new every day on June 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 10
There is a significant segment of the Lesbian community that abhors the idea of partying with men. They'd be separatists living in Lesbian Nation if possible. Conversely, many young gay men who are experiencing their first few Pride events really are - after all the mouth work about freedom and diversity and celebrating our differences - out looking for one thing and one thing only. And it ain't Lesbians. Perhaps there should be an opening Friday night event that's inclusive, but it couldn't be the kind of party I've always associated with Pride. Just ain't gonna happen. I think it's cool just to blow kisses to each other on Pride Day and let everyone celebrate their own way before and after the parade rather than force people together. I've been to that kind of party, too, and it isn't all that when all is said and done.

I appreciate the idea of bringing LGBTQIA people together, and I disdain the idea of no men or no women allowed, but like a 16-year-old doesn't want to party with 40-year-olds who merely share a common trait and/or political agenda, I can't see how a forced mixed party can be very much fun.
Posted by Bauhaus I on June 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM · Report this
zephsright 11
Like most things in a community of people, if you want it...go build it.
Posted by zephsright on June 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM · Report this
For years, the women who wanted liberation wanted separation -- no men allowed at their events, no men allowed in their spaces, no men allowed even to look at them in that threatening, patriarchal way ALL men have when they look at ANY woman. In fact, they revised the spelling of certain words to reflect their female-only focus and we got terms like "womyn" and "herstory". Then the women who wanted liberation discovered that the men had their own special spaces and cried foul because they weren't allowed in, and we got mixed crowds in formerly all-male refuges like the YMCA (put on a damn suit already, there are women present who might be offended by all that threatening patriarchal genital display) and the women were happy for, oh, maybe ten minutes before they decided that that wasn't enough. They had to have access to the men's spaces but they also had to be able to bar men from their own spaces so they could feel "safe". Now they want us all to get along and party together as though they hadn't been pounding on the anvil of their own discontent for the last thirty years. How's that supposed to work?
Posted by Calpete on June 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM · Report this
You know what? Why not be even more inclusive and make pride about all sexualities?! I feel that we are neglecting our straight friends by not being inclusive enough and focusing way too much on the gay.

Posted by snapfin on June 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Womyn2me 14
One lesbian who wants to hang out with her gay guy friends does not a summer make, @12. Many of us are just fine with women only events. Now if only the transmen would figure out they should stop going to the womens events, I would be thrilled.
Posted by Womyn2me http://http:\\www.shelleyandlaura.com on June 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
I whole-heartedly agree with this. Shouldn't this weekend be about showing and celebrating pride TOGETHER, instead of looking for an ideal party based on sexual orientation? I'm straight and have both gay guy and lesbian friends. Obviously, if I was looking for my ideal party this weekend I wouldn't be going to a tranny show or a lesbian dance party. But I am. And I'm excited and proud to share these experiences with my friends and the gay/lesbian community. I understand where the above commenters are coming from. I get it. It just surprises me that for one night of the year people wouldn't want to come together, supporting each other, and celebrate pride as one.
Posted by straight friend on June 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
michael strangeways 16
Dear Straight People:

It's GAY Pride not Gay/Straight Alliance Bar Crawl Weekend. That's the other 51 weekends of the year.

We're happy to share, but don't be whining we have events you aren't welcome at...

In fact, I don't know of ANY events that do a gender or sexuality check at the door.

If you're wanting a warm hug and a cookie, I'm afraid you're SOL.
Posted by michael strangeways http://www.seattlegayscene.com/ on June 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 17
@16: Oh, Michael. Come sit by me.
Posted by Bauhaus I on June 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM · Report this
@14 - thank you for illustrating my point.
Posted by Calpete on June 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM · Report this
doloresdaphne 19
As a non Seattleite, I cannot speak on the male/femal ratio in your LGBT culture, but as someone who has done her share of international gaybourhood/girlbourhood and Pride tourism, in cities big and small, I have seen what happens when a "mixed" night/club/pub is established. It becomes a boy's night.

Wherever I go, Gay male culture is much bigger than girl on girl culture, and in small towns, where there isn't enough of a critical mass to enable Lesbian bars, mixed spaces are all there are.

In the small city where I live, there is one Gay bar, and on a weekend, it's about 65% gay men, 20% straight girls and 15% Lesbian or Bisexual women. That's what you get when you put on a mixed night in many places.

Just check out the rainbow press for any city in the world. If you're a woman looking for a place where women are, it's a very delicate sifting process you have to go through.

The only "balanced" pride events I've been to have been ones organised by and for women, but which ended up attracting about 50% boys.

I can confidently say that the segregation of men and women is far more beneficial for girl on girl culture than it is for Gay male culture, because otherwise girl on girl culture would be drowned out by boy culture, and they're very different.

When young women who are beginning to emerge into their Lesbian or Bisexual identities, if they don't have the opportunity to experience "for women" spaces, they are at risk of becoming cultureless, and are more likely to attempt to assimilate into boy culture (whether it's a natural fit or not) and by boy culture, I'm talking about high levels of casual hookups, BDSM, glitter, butterfly wings and headpieces.

If people want mixed parties, then by all means have them, but I'm guessing they'll be male dominated.
More...
Posted by doloresdaphne on June 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 20
@4, Thiw queer boy is with you!! Too much drama and I'm too old to give a fuck about "Pride Controversy". I don't need no parade or festival to be proud.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM · Report this
.WARNING!

The Seattle Center has locked up all the electrical outlets that have been available for decades. At Gay Pride, make sure your phones, laptops, and electric wheelchairs are charged.
Posted by michaeldare on June 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM · Report this