Matt from Denver 2
I know a woman who teaches blind children in the Aurora, CO school district, and she said many (most?) of them were shaken as babies.

Usually you think of that from when they're infants, so I wonder how fucking hard she had to do that to hurt a three year old.

I'm going to be depressed for the rest of the afternoon now.
Posted by Matt from Denver on July 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM · Report this
@1 Gays are unfit parents & opposite sex couples are the only way for a child to make it in life.

Except when the mother and/or father beats & tortures their children, often with heavy religious reasons. But, of course, that never happens.
Posted by Sir Vic on July 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 4
@1,

Because of shit like this:
Posted by Urgutha Forka on July 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM · Report this
Gurldoggie 5
What a sickening story. I totally sympathize with your point, but reading that thing has ruined my morning. My god it's a fallen world.
Posted by Gurldoggie http://gurldogg.blogspot.com on July 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM · Report this
Allyn 6
Donation made.

Thanks, Dan, for including the link. It's heartbreaking to think of how people can lose it like that and beat the shit out of another person, much less such a young child.

But my 2yo is learning to use the toilet and I'm having a hard time feeling pity for the woman. Fuck her.
Maybe there’s hope for her life, but I’m taking this story personally and wishing she’ll die a horrible death.

BTW, though: she's the dad's girlfriend, not the boy's bio-mom. FOTF thinks this living arrangement leads to abuse, too.
Posted by Allyn on July 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 7
I hope the mother is treated in such a way in prison that she needs to be potty trained all over again.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on July 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM · Report this
malcolmxy 8
Child abuse to justify gay rights? Stupid move - the backlash kicks a lot harder than you just did with your lashing out, Dan.
Posted by malcolmxy on July 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM · Report this
Hernandez 9
@8 Child abuse to point out that the Christian Right's repeated assertions that children who live with a mother and father are unequivocally in a better position than other children is complete bullshit with no basis in reality.

Seriously, they demonize not only same-sex couples with children, but single parents as well, as if simply by having a mother and father at home, the children are immune to any kind of harm because JESUS LALALALALALALA.

You're reading something into it that's not there. It's not "child abuse to justify gay rights," it's "child abuse to illustrate how full of shit the Christian Right's ideas on family are." And by extension, how full of shit their condemnation of families with same-sex parents is.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on July 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM · Report this
@1 Because of all the allegations that same-sex couples are automatically bad parents and that their children suffer psychologically, Mr. Savage is pointing out that many opposite-sex couples are rotten parents.

Parenting lesson: It's okay to WANT to choke them. It's not okay to choke them.
Posted by DRF on July 11, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
TrevCat 15
Oh but its fun to watch the troll coming into bloom. I was slightly afraid he drought was going to affect the troll crop, seems were okay though.
Posted by TrevCat on July 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM · Report this
malcolmxy 16
@9

I didn't say that the statement, on a certain level, isn't an excuse to be a racist, homophobic, holier-than-thou asshole.

I said using it here was a stupid move.

There are, in fact, shitty gay parents, and the next one of them that does something liken this will cause a media shitstorm the likes of which will dwarf the divorce of Cruise/Holmes.

Statements/blog posts like this one will bite you in the ass when that time comes is all I'm sayin'.
Posted by malcolmxy on July 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM · Report this
"Shaken baby syndrome" is a sad, well known cause of neurological imparment for small chilldren. New mothers,, baby sitters and caregivers in general should be well aware of this information. I know what I am saying is obvious but I wanted to put this link to make it well known.

Posted by ferfer on July 12, 2012 at 5:21 AM · Report this
Also, make a donation to Planned Parenthood. Every child deserves to be born into a family where he or she is actually wanted. Too many people are practicing accidental parenthood, and end up having kids they are unprepared ot care for - financially, emotionally or physically. Access to birth control results in fewer abused children.
Posted by Barbara on July 12, 2012 at 9:05 AM · Report this