balderdash 1
Well, in the strictest sense, since human cloning is still echt stark verboten, children do still require one mother and one father. To exist.

Fuck NOM in their obsessive homophobic god-bothering faces, though. And those parents... ugh. There's nothing harsh enough.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on July 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 2
I find it impossible to understand the motives of parents who torture their children like this. It just blows my mind.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on July 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Pick1 3
As a child who was raised by a single parent, I take offense to these statements.

I guess God doesn't love me either.
Posted by Pick1 on July 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM · Report this
balderdash 4
@2, there's nothing stopping people with psychopathic personality disorders from having kids, unfortunately.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on July 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 5
@4,

Or marrying people who have kids.

@2,

He said the three stepchildren were treated differently.

"Differently" in this case means abused. The step-mother hated her husband's children and treated them accordingly. Her biological children had nice bedrooms and video game consoles and received presents at Christmas.
Posted by keshmeshi on July 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Some straight couples have abused their children.

This PROVES FALSE the claim that "every child deserves a mother and a father".

Since some straight parents have abused their children, every child does NOT deserve a mother and a father.

It is NOT ideal to for children to grow up in a household with a loving, nurturing mother and father in a stable relationship because SOME OTHER STRAIGHT PARENTS HAVE ABUSED THEIR CHILDREN.

Solid logic, makes sense to me.
Posted by but I want a baby too! on July 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
Allyn 7
She was a step-mother, so not NOM's or FotF's ideal when they say "mother and father".

But donation made to Childhaven.org nonetheless.
Posted by Allyn on July 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Man. If you are taking away your child's *toothbrush* as a punishment, your child does not have enough privileges.
Posted by alex51324 on July 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM · Report this
@6 I think you've missed the point. It goes like this:

Some straight couples have abused their children.

This PROVES FALSE the claim that "every child deserves a mother and father."

There is nothing inherently loving or nurturing about a man and a woman who are married. They have no greater moral authority than any other couple or single parent.

Therefore, every child deserves (a) loving parent(s), gender and blood relation be damned.

Do you get it now?
Posted by LateBloomer on July 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 10
@8,

No shit. When I was a kid, brushing my teeth, bathing, and going to bed on time were tantamount to punishment in my mind.
Posted by keshmeshi on July 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM · Report this
Skye Blu 11
@6 -No, what is being actually said is that being a dick and a cunt together are NOT indicators of nurturing abilities.
Posted by Skye Blu on July 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 12
#1 Sweet thyang, are you confusing the terms "Mother" and "Father" with "male" and "female". Yes it takes a "male" and "female" to make a baby. End full stop. Fathers, Mothers, and Parents might have nothing to do with the biological making of a baby, but everything to do with raising a child. And like you I think NOM is a PACK of evil in the flesh.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on July 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM · Report this
Good GOD.
Posted by floater on July 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM · Report this
Mahtli69 14
And they made her live in Ohio!
Posted by Mahtli69 on July 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM · Report this
@9, @11

Hmm. You seem to be conflating this claim:

"Every child deserves a mother and a father."

with this claim:

"Every male-female couple deserve to be parents."

These are not equivalent claims.

As far as I can tell, the latter claim is false, while the former claim is conditionally true. Those conditions being that the mother and father are both emotionally healthy, loving, and nurturing and that they are in a stable relationship.

Every child deserves that kind of mother and father.

Is that not ideal? Do you really contend there is nothing special about that familial configuration?
Posted by are you sure about that? on July 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM · Report this
@15: Actually, studies say kids from lesbian households do best of all in terms of emotional stability, etc. If we're trying to send kids to ideal households, we should favor those that have doubled down on the mommies over those who have mix and match genitalia. Besides, how does keeping kids with parents like these seem better than letting them be legally adopted by someone like Terry and Dan? The fact is, there are more kids than there are stable loving homes full stop, leaving aside only recognizing families with two parents of the opposite sex. Would you really say these opposite sex parents deserve more legal recognition as a family than a loving gay couple who provide a stable home for their children, or that it would be better for this girl to go back to her psycho stepmom and dad rather than being placed with a lesbian couple with who are raising other happy, well adjusted kids?
Posted by Beguine on July 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM · Report this
@15: No. No, I am not conflating the two. What I actually said was "every child deserves (a) loving parent(s), gender and blood relation be damned". Check it out, it's right there--number 9, exactly where I left it. How you got your interpretation out of that is beyond me, but I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth.
Posted by LateBloomer on July 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM · Report this
sissoucat 18
It's horrible. I know of two brothers who were kept locked as children until they were rescued. They were then raised by another family, through my country's equivalent of CPS (monthly checkups, diary of every interactions, etc.).

When they became young adults, I had a chat with the lady of the raising family, who explained it all to me (I had told her about being an incest survivor), and she told me that despite it being 10+ years since then, and her family having done their best in parenting them, she wasn't sure that they would ever overcome their past.

@LateBloomer I think every child deserves two loving parents, whatever their genders and blood relations ; failing that, a household with a single loving parent. No child deserves to live in a household containing one hating parent or more. Would you agree ?
Posted by sissoucat on July 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM · Report this
@18: Oh absolutely. That's what I was trying to say with all the brackets, in case it wasn't clear.

Doesn't have to be just two parents providing the love and safety, btw. Growing up I had two close friends--brothers--whose mom still feels like family to me. I really like the idea of kids being raised by a whole village, as the saying goes. Extended family--close family friends (in Hawaii they're called Aunties and Uncles)--older siblings who have a parenting role--community of families with kids the same age--the more adults looking out for the littles, the better. There's still not enough of them out there, which is why it sends me when someone would deny parenting rights to people who've got the required love and emotional stability, all because of some bizarre, indefensible belief in the moral superiority of one man and one woman. Speaking as a happily married het breeder myself.

Sorry to hear about your experiences growing up.
Posted by LateBloomer on July 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM · Report this
Children don't need a mother and a father. Children need parents who give a shit about their well-being, and not psychotic and abusive. Preferably two or more, including but not limited to extended family members.
Posted by gromm on July 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM · Report this
sissoucat 21
@20 I totally agree.

@19 The brackets didn't make clear your "the more parents the better" position - I agree with you on it, although it's not very usual in our societies. For a child's wellbeing, the genders of the people who raise her/him are quite indifferent. Millions of people have been raised by their widowed mother and grandmother(s) after WWI and they didn't turn out badly.

Besides, I think this "mother and father" theme stigmatizes single mothers along with gays. I guess the same conservatives would love to see any lone woman with kids jump back into any marriage not to stay single - and we don't want to go back to women needing to be posessed by a man in order to be allowed to exist. With dire consequences for her kids (think Night of the Hunter).

A lot of children suffer in silence. I was one of the lucky ones, I survived with still some ability to lead a satisfying sex life.To thwart the next generation of perpretrators, I break that silence.
Posted by sissoucat on July 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM · Report this
Childhaven is a great organization for kids living in Washington. Not so much for kids living in Ohio.

"In three locations across Seattle and King County, children through age five get the therapy, social interaction and emotional support they need to grow up happy and healthy."

So they won't help 12 year olds either, even if they live in Seattle.
Posted by Barbara on July 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM · Report this