dnt trust me 1
Thank goodness. Slog's last 36 hours has been one huge geekguy fest. Nice photo btw, where u see crap I see ambiance.
Posted by dnt trust me on August 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
PAX is having a "Queers in Gaming" panel this year that promises to cover homophobia and bullying in online gaming and geek culture in general. So there's that.
Posted by Oliver W. Holmes on August 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM · Report this
Mary P. Traverse 3
@2 that is good news indeed!
Posted by Mary P. Traverse http://www.nerdhole.org/ on August 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Anyone else watching the entire first season of Husbands?
Posted by Zog in PDX on August 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this
OuterCow 5
Awesome to read GGC has gotten so much bigger.
Posted by OuterCow on August 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 6
Raging misogyny and general online assholery doesn't only affect women.

I like to waste time now and again playing games, but I mostly play solo type games. I rarely venture into online gaming, mostly to avoid the screaming assholes you find there. And I'm a guy. Even though the bulk of the assholery is directed at girls, I just can't stand to watch it, and never know what to do about it. My inept answer is just to avoid it entirely most of the time by playing solo.

Cutting down on the rampant misogyny would not only make gaming more fun for women, it would make it more fun for sane and supportive men too.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on August 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM · Report this
@6, it'd be even better if you'd stay and fight as an ally. Don't make the ladies hold the bridge by themselves.
Posted by jt on August 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM · Report this
Mary P. Traverse 8
@6 & 7: this was definitely part of the message: speak out so our allies know what's up and can help the cause. And even if something's not directed at you, call the bastards out. Jerks ruin fun for everyone.
Posted by Mary P. Traverse http://www.nerdhole.org/ on August 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
Pax East had FUoS there on a panel, and so did Pax Prime. Both of them also had panels on transgendered game characters and game creators, Pax Prime had a panel on queers in gaming, and Pax East had a panel on race, religion and sexuality in RPGs.

Seriously, you can go to either site and look at the schedule, this takes about 20 seconds to research.
Posted by RedLight on August 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM · Report this
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot 10
@RedLight:

I've been to those cons. Let me just say that one or two panels on diversity/marginalization each is just not enough, considering the immature attitudes in gaming.

I've personally been on two different geeky panels, one at GGC and one at ECCC (and preparing for a couple more nationally), geared toward women figures in their field, and the difference in the room was palpable. ECCC was not a safe space to talk about women in nerd work. GGC was and is. That's why it's so goddamn important. PAX throwing marginalized groups a bone once in a while doesn't cut it, particularly when I know that those are not exactly the most comfortable, open spaces to discuss Things Most Gamers Don't Want To Be Called Out On.
Posted by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot http://lifetimesshortnow.blogspot.com on August 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM · Report this