Fnarf 1
Ugh.

I'm a lifelong huge Eastwood fan, and I have admired and respected him for decades.

He just threw all that away. Not that Eastwood gives a crap what I think, but I think he's an embarrassing old idiot who's crossed the line. Goddamn it, Clint. What the fuck.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
@1, Everyone has known for years Eastwood was a conservative. Hell, he was buddy buddy with Ronnie Raygun back in the day.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on August 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
The Max 3
I hope it's both a disaster for Shit Romney and for Eastwood. I know Clint was a Reaganite, but I had always thought him too smart to pander to the Teabaggers. May he upstage Shit Romney, may Shit Romney taint him, and may circumstances collide to force him to withdraw his endorsement before the erection.
Posted by The Max on August 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 4
Damn, now I have to eat crow about a comment I made the other day about how the Repubs' few A-listers stay the fuck away from their conventions, unless they're running for office. Now I have to root for Eastwood running for office to save face.
Posted by keshmeshi on August 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM · Report this
COULD BE DISASTROUS.

Good to see you still add one bolded extreme and absolutely asinine speculation about something that even at its most extreme would have no effect on the election in any way.

Even if Clint got on stage with copies of Romney's tax records and explained how he hasn't paid taxes in years, and Romney throws a temper tantrum, it would not have any lasting effect on the people voting for him. They would think it was a conspiracy by the libs.
Posted by michael bell on August 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM · Report this
Get off my lawn, you young kids voting for Obama!
Posted by blandauppgoy on August 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM · Report this
DOUG. 7
Whatever happened to "it's halftime in America"?
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on August 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 8
@6
'Gran Torino' was pretty cool. My 5th grade basketball coach had one of those from the early 70s. When I had the chance, I loved riding around in it. That scene where Eastwood fingers a gun on those guys was sharp.
Posted by dnt trust me on August 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 9
@1 You can still enjoy the films. They are frozen in time. Though it looks like Clint may not have left his Gran Torino character behind.

I don't expect him to upstage Mitt at all. Clint is old, was never known as a dynamo, and won't have the magic of post-editing to make it all dramatic & rousing. It's more likely to be a train wreck than a scene-stealer.
Posted by Sir Vic on August 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM · Report this
Ziggity 10
I'm just happy for the editors at the New York Post. Just think of tomorrow's headlines:

"Million Dollar Maybe"
"A Mitt-ful of Dollars"
"Gran Borino"
"Play Mitt-sy for Me"
Posted by Ziggity on August 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM · Report this
This is going to make some great copy for you!
Posted by gloomy gus on August 30, 2012 at 2:22 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 12
I hope the meeting between Clint and Romney goes something like this:

Posted by Urgutha Forka on August 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
blip 13
Oh. How incredibly safe and boring.
Posted by blip on August 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM · Report this
Gurldoggie 14
I'm fantasizing that Eastwood stands up in front of the world and tells the Republicans where to shove it.
Posted by Gurldoggie http://gurldogg.blogspot.com on August 30, 2012 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Proving once again that rich guys like tax cuts.
Posted by Proteus on August 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM · Report this
Original Monique 16
I was really hoping for holo-reagan. It'd be creepy and weird to just about anyone outside the GOP.
Posted by Original Monique http://www.facebook.com/notifications.php#/group.php?gid=124801948427 on August 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM · Report this
@14: I doubt it, given that he hosted a fundraiser for Romney a few weeks back.

But: I do wonder if he's going to call out any of the stupid and ugly that's taken over the party (and the convention.) Eastwood's never been a liberal - more an old-style moderate Republican with a cranky libertarian streak at times (which is how he wound up as mayor of Carmel) - but he's backed Democrats in the past, he's on record as being in favor of marriage equality, and he's also said he thinks it's "really cool" that a black man made it to the Presidency in his lifetime. A teabagger he's not, and it's not like he has much to lose by pissing off the right-wing nutters...so what exactly IS he going to say?

(Probably something fairly anodyne, is my guess. But I think there's at least a chance he'll cut loose on the crazies. And reading what I've just written, it's a hell of a state of affairs when the moderate-to-liberal wing of the Republican Party is represented by Dirty Harry.)

Posted by DonServo on August 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 18
@10 Those are awesome. I vote for "Play Mitt-sy for Me"

@17 Why not Dirty Harry? This is a party that worships The Gipper, after all.
Posted by Sir Vic on August 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM · Report this
@1 Eastwood was ALWAYS a conservative and has been open about his Republican affiliation for decades. Jesus Christ, the guy was MAYOR of Carmel as a Republican. He's also pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, and was against the wars in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afgjanistan. Who do you want speaking at a GOP convention? Sarah Palin? Or Eastwood, who is at least sane.

And how stupid is it to have a life long admiration for somebodies art, and toss all that aside because you can't grind off his edges in your ideology filter. Your options in art, music, movies, and culture is going to be a pretty thin watery gruel if you insist on parsing it through ideology.
Posted by tkc on August 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM · Report this
Fnarf 21
@1, @19, Reagan is one thing. This Romney piece of shit parade is another.

And Eastwood has always been a very moderate Republican, not a conservative and certainly nothing to do with these maniacs who control the GOP today.

He wasn't elected as mayor of Carmel; that post is non-partisan. He has supported many Democrats in his career.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 22
Damn. I was really hoping for hologram Reagan.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on August 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM · Report this
YakHerder 23
I watched "Dirty Harry" for the first time last year and was struck by its fascist undertones.

(People who claim to have been beaten up by the police are in fact serial killers, the rule of law serves only to frustrate "real" justice, armed vigilantism is the only thing between us and a busload of dead schoolchildren...)
Posted by YakHerder on August 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM · Report this
Simple 24
Clint Eastwood is the perfect choice to speak to the republicans. Clint has spent his whole life PRETENDING to be tough.He is only tough in the movies folks. I dime store cowboy living in a celluloid dream world, yawn. for my money though "Unforgiven" was his best work.
Posted by Simple on August 30, 2012 at 7:43 PM · Report this
Ernie1 25
Eastwood's speech was seriously weird, he spent half of it mumbling to an empty stool that was supposed to be Obama. Kind of creepy actually.

Doesn't take away from his career for me though....Unforgiven is still awesome!
Posted by Ernie1 on August 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM · Report this
Keister Button 26
@25 That might explain why Eastwood's name kept coming up when I was searching for #senile and #RNC hashtags on Twitter.
Posted by Keister Button on August 30, 2012 at 8:31 PM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 27
Clint Eastwood was a great actor and a brilliant director, one of the finest people in the history of film. I respect the man for his body of work.

That said, most actors make terrible politicians, and vice versa .I'd no more turn to an actor for political advice than I would ask a musician to perform open heart surgery.

Lastly, it's clear from his speech that the years are catching up with Mr Eastwood. This is inevitable, it'll happen to every one of us eventually, if we are lucky enough to live that long. It is sad to see him paraded out in front of the cameras in his condition, though. Sort of like watching a once great Olympic sprinter who now has a plastic hip tripping over the hurdles. Painful to watch in every way.
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on August 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM · Report this
Jesus Fnarf. You are physically incapable of admitting when you are wrong.

Yes. He WAS elected as Mayor of Carmel. While the position isn't officially "partisan" he RAN endorsed by the local republican party and has always been a republican. Now he's a cranky old rich conservative.

Yes a moderate republican IS conservative. It just that the term conservative, like the term liberal, has been corrupted and perverted beyond recognition. He's conservative. The GOP isn't. It's INSANE. For fuck sake Obama is a moderate conservative. Saying Eastwood isn't a conservative is completely unsupported by facts.

The point is hating his accomishments becuase the guy spoke at a GOP convention is absolutist and fanatical and the kind of stupid bullshit ideological purists LIKE the far right republicans do.
Posted by tkc on August 31, 2012 at 12:29 PM · Report this