mikethehammer 1
I can play 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' on my phone. Well, not on my cell phone, but on an old school push button one. Well, I guess it's been a while since I've been on one of those phones & don't know that I'd remember how, but I used to be able to. Was pretty cool too.
Posted by mikethehammer on September 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM · Report this
Renée Krulich (Nay) 2
@1
B A G A B B B A A A B B B B A G B B B A A B A G!
(Recorder, 3rd grade.)
Posted by Renée Krulich (Nay) on September 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM · Report this
I love how he acts just like a typical 5 year old--until he starts busting out those pieces...
Posted by Westside forever on September 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM · Report this
Gurldoggie 4
My child is a failure.
Posted by Gurldoggie http://gurldogg.blogspot.com on September 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM · Report this
Jesus fucking Christ! Just wait 'til he grows him some fingers, too!

Amazing what the kid can do with those little stubby things. I love the way he puts in some serious elbow and shoulder to get some sound out of the piano. Great attitude and flair. Looks like he's having a great time, too. Gotta love him!
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on September 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Anyone know what that piece of music is?
Posted by catsnbanjos on September 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
Meh. A baby could do it. (Obviously.)
Posted by floater on September 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 8
@6,

At least one of the pieces, which he performs twice, is "Flood Time" by Eric Thiman. While I tracked that one down via the video's keywords, I'm having no luck with the second piece.
Posted by keshmeshi on September 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 9
OMG genetic engineering, and you think a GMO ear of corn is a freak!
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on September 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM · Report this
TVDinner 10
Yesterday I played several nursery rhymes on my viola for my two-year-old, and she put her hands over her ears and yelled, "No más," over and over again until I quit.

I fail at parenting. She should have been playing the pieces for me.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on September 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM · Report this
Jaymz 11
Can't help but think he is cosmically connected - part of him has done this before...
Posted by Jaymz on September 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM · Report this
Gospodean 12
Man alive, if my kid could play like that, I'd at LEAST cough up a couple bucks to have the damned piano tuned.
Posted by Gospodean on September 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM · Report this
scary tyler moore 13
the second piece is by bach. probably a keyboard partita.
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on September 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM · Report this
Gospodean @12, how can your kid play like that if he doesn't have a tuned piano to play on?
Posted by Lhota on September 12, 2012 at 10:45 PM · Report this
... practice on?
Posted by Lhota on September 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM · Report this
doloresdaphne 16
@11 I'm inclined to think the same... on the other hand, if it's genetic, then whichever parent it came from could make some good money from selling their eggs/sperm.

I love how the kid seems happy, and doesn't seem to have had his kid enthusiasm crushed by discipline. His piano playing has passion, not just super genius skill.

If this is what the next generation of humans looks like, then maybe there is a future after all.

Posted by doloresdaphne on September 13, 2012 at 4:53 AM · Report this
JensR 17
Or perhaps its training, enthusiasm from the parents and a mild inclination or aptitide that is somehow "genetic".
That piano skills are magicly transferred via genes is kinda questionable - its the same as having an alcoholic parent. It doesn't make you an alcoholic but it may increase the chances of you becoming one slightly, but thats about it.
Just like kids who have parents who are programmers learn to use computers extremely fast this kids parents obviously spends allot of time with him and they have found an activity both enjoy doing. So they keep practicing day in and day out and the boy get a skill for it.
Same with languages - we taught a friends 3 yo to have a small back and forth in French (aswell as English and Swedish). The trick was to teach him which was which and not switch the languages around.
(we also taught him how to swear in English and French aswell as some choice words in Spanish, then his parents got home and we haven't been asked back to baby sit him any more :) )

About "cosmicly connected" ... I have no idea what that even means. Sounds like magic? Couldn't we just claim that his father must have sacrificed another child on the altar of Behusda the demon of pianos?
Posted by JensR http://ohyran.se on September 13, 2012 at 6:05 AM · Report this