It does make answering the question easy, however vulgar.
Posted by seeker6079 on September 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 2
Advertisements shit on society.
Posted by dnt trust me on September 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM · Report this
I don't get it. Mark Seliger is a photographer who's done covers for Rolling Stone. Diltz is also a rock photographer, famous for taking pictures of the Monkees. "Who Shot Rock and Roll" must be about photography and rock and roll and these must be portraits that they made. It's a pun. What's offensive about it?
Posted by DRF on September 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM · Report this
That's kickass. Super refreshing to see a city using the cliche of lightpole banners for messages beyond the bland PR claptrap we do in Seattle. The exhibit is curated by Gail Buckland, originally shown in Brooklyn. http://www.annenbergspaceforphotography.…
Posted by gloomy gus on September 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM · Report this
TreGibbs 5
No - it's ok.
Posted by TreGibbs on September 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM · Report this
These ruined my morning a couple months back when they first went up. A coworker arguing that they were a "clever" way to promote a photography exhibit stuck in my craw for weeks. I hate these so much.
Posted by Daily in LA on September 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM · Report this
Irena 7
Dan: Considering that you've made your career in part by saying things that outrage the pearl-clutching moralizers, I think this post would be less hypocritical-sounding, and more interesting, if you ditched the pronouncement and instead presented it as a question:

"Apparently there's a John Lennon version too. Is this okay?"
Posted by Irena on September 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM · Report this
blip 8
If you're blogging about it they must have done something right.
Posted by blip on September 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM · Report this
'Cause only pearl-clutching moralizers dislike it when people use real-life firearm suicides and murders as fodder for their weak-punning marketing attempts.
Posted by Daily in LA on September 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM · Report this
Jokes about the actual deaths of actual people ARE kind of creepy when done by advertisers.
Posted by subwlf on September 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM · Report this
Wow. This is more tasteless than the sign that read "who ham-sandwiched rock n' roll," with the picture of Big Mama Cass.
Posted by GermanSausage on September 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM · Report this
David Schmader 12
This is perfectly fine. If you don't want people making puns about how you shot yourself in the head, don't shoot yourself in the head.

(Also, I would like to point out that this post comes from a theatermaker who shoved a Kurt Cobain suicide joke into a performance of "Macbeth" being performed in Seattle ON THE DAY NEWS BROKE OF KURT'S SUICIDE. It remained in the show for the rest of the run. And it was a GOOD JOKE!)
Posted by David Schmader on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM · Report this
Fnarf 13
@12, I knew it! John Lennon SHOT HIMSELF! It wasn't Stephen King after all!

I still maintain that JFK was killed by a marauding Bengal tiger.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on September 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM · Report this
@12, our own seandr remembers that: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Comme…
Posted by gloomy gus on September 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM · Report this
bedipped 15
The lack of a question mark at the end of the question is going to haunt me. Is it a question? Is it omitted from all promotions or just these signs to appease graphic design symmetry?

Who Shot Rock & Roll

?
!

Kurt and Lennon don't care. Dimebag Darrell is miffed.
Posted by bedipped on September 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 16
Eh. If you're in LA, your day is already shot. Who cares?
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on September 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM · Report this
venomlash 17
Reminded me of this Cereal Guy cartoon: http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/11201…
Posted by venomlash on September 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM · Report this
Am I supposed to know who that is? The filenames doesn't exactly make identification easy.
Posted by Sili on September 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM · Report this
brandon 20
Oh please, this from the guy who rocks out to Original Broadway Cast Recordings.

Posted by brandon on September 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Fnarf 21
@20, and what, exactly, is wrong with original Broadway cast recordings? Are you one of those people who prefer the soundtrack version? Hey, that's cool.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on September 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM · Report this
This show was in NYC a few years back and it's amazing. Totally worth seeing. And the "shot" is about photography not about guns and bullets. Though I agree it would be more tasteful not to have Cobain and Lennon pictures directly next to the name of the show.
Posted by moosefan on September 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 23
Too soon?

Welcome back to LA, Dan. I don't have to add my name to the very long list of congrats, but I will because I must. I'm so proud of you and Terry.
Posted by Bauhaus I on September 18, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
Irena 24
@9: Way to completely miss my point.
Posted by Irena on September 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 25
Who shot a load? That's something I'd go see.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on September 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM · Report this
I hate it when 5280 is right.
Posted by jhops on September 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 27
Savage, despite having a pretty bitches stage name, clearly does not understand rocknroll.

Hell, I still call "Cobain!" so can Claim the passenger seat.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on September 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM · Report this
Nobody walks in LA...
Posted by I'm OK, You're OK on September 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM · Report this
Kurt Cobain shot himself, John Lennon did not
Posted by myr on September 19, 2012 at 8:05 AM · Report this
brandon 31
@20 Nothing wrong with it, just doesn't lend much credence to passing judgement on Rock subjects. And yes, I prefer the soundtracks. I'm all about the spit and polish.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a Chicago/Avenue Q/Wicked/The Book of Mormon marathon to listen to.
Posted by brandon on September 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM · Report this
@12 - details please? What was the joke?
Posted by codairem on September 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM · Report this