ScienceNerd 1
Hockey is the only sport that matters [to me]. Greenwood is too far, and drinking while sad makes me sad. :( $14-$16 hockey sounds good though. Is there beer?
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on September 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 2
Eh?
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on September 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM · Report this
There's always the MLS, EPL, and UEFA Champions League.
Posted by arbeck http://www.facebook.com/arbeck on September 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM · Report this
NHL 13 PSN league?
Posted by j.lee on September 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM · Report this
There is always curling.

What?
Posted by tkc on September 18, 2012 at 1:30 PM · Report this
mrbarky 6
I've been watching Cricket on ESPN3. It's kind of like hockey, except it's mostly East Asians, they don't wear skates, and they throw a little ball at a wicket while some guy tries to hit it, and games tend to go on for hours and hours with hundreds of points scored, and nobody fights. What were we talking about again?
Posted by mrbarky on September 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM · Report this
The_Shaved_Bear 7
Hockey makes golf interesting.
Posted by The_Shaved_Bear on September 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 8
Hockey? Eh. I like it, but I'm not exactly going to miss it either. Just a bunch of overpaid pricks playing a kids' game for teams owned by overpaid rich people. Snore.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on September 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
There is always curling ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM · Report this
orange&black 10
I see the lock out ending in December, so as not to disrupt the Winter Classic, the NHL's big cash cow. Of course, I'd like to see it end sooner, but I feel like I gotta be realistic.
Posted by orange&black on September 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM · Report this
Hernandez 11
@1 I haven't been to the T-Birds new arena (because who the hell wants to go to Kent?), so I can't speak to that. However, I can report that yes, there is plenty of beer at the Comcast Arena in Everett.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on September 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
Go Beaver! This lockout will get resolved, Seattle will get an NHL team and The Angry Beaver will have a corner for Red Wings fans and of course, Canuck fans! Hey, we'll have a ton of TV's so just request your team and we'll get it going! Plus POUTINE!! Hells yes.
Posted by timbeaver on September 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM · Report this
There is plenty of beer in Kent too. And the arena is way better than Key Arena was. And the parking is free. But I'm still pissed that they couldn't get this agreement done. None of them even tried. Assholes. Go T'birds.
Posted by SeattleKim on September 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM · Report this
biffp 14
Megan, have you seen "Goon" yet? There's some great stuff in it, including the dumbest cliches you can imagine. There's more fighting than I wanted to see, but in the end, the fighting is a sidenote to the game. It made me nostalgic for Saturday nights with a Molson's and a Canucks game. I hate you Gary Bettman, you little sycophant.
Posted by biffp on September 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM · Report this
Hernandez 15
@8 To be fair, that's every professional sport.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on September 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 16
Go drown your sorrows at the Fremont Oktoberfest this weekend.

Does this make it easier or harder for Seattle to get an NHL team?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 17
I've been down this road before. All I can hope is that the new deal, whatever it ends up being, screws Detroit the way the Avs got screwed last time.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM · Report this
Puty 18
Shea Weber owes someone a hug!
Posted by Puty on September 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM · Report this
biffp 19
@16, I think it's going to make it easier for Seattle to lure a team out of Florida. Their fans were fickle before this second strike, and the small market owners would have to be the ones to suffer the most economically in this. I'd be happy to watch a good young team like the Panthers playing in Sodo.

I'm hoping the players don't give the owners free reign on realignment. The fans of a lot of smaller teams would get screwed on that deal.
Posted by biffp on September 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM · Report this
The NHL’s season regular season is too long and rather meaningless, losing 15-20 games will make this year much more interesting.
Posted by Greydon Clark on September 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM · Report this
the NHL has an awfully short memory. the last lockout/strike/disagreement basically ruined hockey.

in fact, i blame that work stoppage for the popularity of poker on TV. with all those games gone, ESPN had all this air time to fill, and basically pulled texas hold em' out of it's ass and on to the air.

add that to the fact that during that work stoppage, many of the international players found they could go back home and work, and that the money was fine (maybe not NHL fine, but fine enough), and they never came back. and hockey suffered for it. it's just not as good of a game as it used to be.
Posted by deepconcentration on September 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM · Report this
McGee 22
Calm the fuck down front-runner. We've been through one lock-out, we'll survive another.

@17 I didn't know the last agreement had a provision that gave the Red Wings top-notch scouts and the best farm system in hockey. Thanks Bettman!
Posted by McGee on September 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM · Report this
wisepunk 23
Here is the house of a friend of mine who played in the NHL. Just sayin...

Posted by wisepunk on September 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 24
I said "screwed," not "benefited." Props to the Red Wings for building their system, but that doesn't mean it'll be enough a second time.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM · Report this
Watch football its a lot more interesting
Posted by Seattle14 on September 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
Keister Button 26
the "the Angry Beaver" link goes to a Facebook login screen. Google did not turn up anything, nor did Twitter. I guess it's not a bar for non-Facebook users.
Posted by Keister Button on September 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM · Report this
#14, from the trailer, Goon looks like the Amos and Andy version of a Hockey film. I think it does the sport a diservice and panders to the stereotype that the game is all about fighting rather than the athleticism and beauty of skating, passing, and shooting pin point accurate slap shots and top shelf wristers as well as the artistry of scientific angle cover goaltending.

Slapshot was good in that it took a broader satirical look at sports culture, but Goon looks just plain brutish and retrobate.
Posted by neo-realist on September 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
@14 `have you seen "Goon" yet?'

Honestly, I thought Perry was much better in "Friends"
Posted by GoOn - Tuesdays at 8/9 central on September 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM · Report this
laterite 29
If you do go to some Silvertips games, be sure to hit up the Brooklyn Bros. Pizzeria across the street from the arena!
Posted by laterite on September 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM · Report this
nicholaus 30
Thanks for the heads up about The Angry Beaver! I haven't heard about this bar until just now, and it sounds fantastic!
Posted by nicholaus on September 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM · Report this
biffp 31
@27, I also wrote off "Goon" based on the ads and trailer, but the reviews were good and it was amusing. It's not as good as Slap Shot, but it's definitely worth seeing. It's not pro-fighting, but you have to watch the movie to understand the point.
Posted by biffp on September 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM · Report this
@26 The owner of the Angry Beaver just signed the lease on his space this week (it's where the Pig and Whistle is currently). I'm sure he'll have a stronger web presence by the time the place opens in mid-October, just in time for the hockey season to not start when it should.
Posted by aurora f on September 18, 2012 at 6:32 PM · Report this
biffp 33
There's always Canadian Thanksgiving and the Grey Cup. Shuffleboard and SCTV repeats works for me. I've always love the idea of a Canadian bar with a hockey player on the roof.
Posted by biffp on September 18, 2012 at 7:27 PM · Report this
Jock-watching ? Still ? Get a life. Do something yourself instead.
Posted by randomitis on September 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM · Report this
gttim 35
I can't wait to see the Atlanta Thrasher's take to the ice this year! Oh wait.... Fuck the NHL! I hope it dies a painful death!
Posted by gttim on September 19, 2012 at 7:14 AM · Report this