Line Out Comments

jamieaaron 1
This makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a tampon.
Posted by jamieaaron on September 25, 2012 at 8:11 AM · Report this
I agree this is totally gross. That said, many of the Stranger's staff are guilty of doing exactly the same thing.

My girl band got our photo in the music section two years before we were ever actually written about. It's pretty common to see a photo of a pretty girl band in the Up & Coming section without an actual blurb about the band itself. And a number of writers here can't seem to write about a female musician without commenting on her hotness (not just her look, which could be relevant as a performer, but her actual attractiveness). It's gotten better with you and Emily Nokes on staff, but I still cringe when I read that stuff.
Posted by Writing about the music - it's not that hard on September 25, 2012 at 9:17 AM · Report this
Erin Resso 3
Fack, I just barfed all over my keyboard.
Posted by Erin Resso http://deejayres.tumblr.com on September 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM · Report this
Emily Nokes 4
@2 - I sympathize with your assessment of barfy music writing about women! As for the Stranger photo, I'm guessing there was a more boring reason behind your theory. Writing a band's blurb doesn't mean we are guaranteed a photo of them with the photographer's permission. If another band on the calendar has legally usable photos, then we might have to pull theirs (with the idea that it's still promoting a band that is playing locally).

And sometimes a good band photo is just a good band photo. You'd be surprised how many blurry cellphone bong rip pics people want to use! :)
Posted by Emily Nokes on September 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
they have been ridiculous for the past, oh, 30 years or so. fortunately there is intelligent life out there. www.meowonline.org
Posted by meowonline on September 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM · Report this
raku 6
Anyone remember when Sleater-Kinney was named Time Magazine's "Best Band in America" in 2000 or something? Not best girl band, not best women who rock - just best band? The article didn't even talk about how they look or their sexual orientation.

When I read a mainstream article about "girl bands" I like to close my eyes and think of the Time Magazine article and imagine I live in a world where that EVER HAPPENED AGAIN.
Posted by raku on September 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM · Report this
this sucks so hard.
Posted by itsneverthateasy on September 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM · Report this
merry 8
That damn staple was the beginning of the end for the Jann Wenner rag......

And yes, I'm old.... :p