care bear 1
If everybody were as awesome as other people say they were after they died, the world would be a much better place.
Posted by care bear on September 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
COMTE 2
@1:

Unfortunately, some of them WERE that awesome - but then, IME, the mostest awesomest ones were those least in need of having to hear it from others.

Still, no reason to wait until you can't tell them - tell them now, while they're still around to hear it. Most likely, they'll just shoot you with a blast from their awesome-cannon, making you feel a whole lot better about not having waited.
Posted by COMTE on September 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM · Report this
Those kinds of comments aren't for the dead person, who can't hear them. It's for the benefit of the grieving survivors, who can take some comfort in feeling that their loss is shared.
Posted by siduri on September 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
If everyone was dead, zombies would be really hungry.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM · Report this
treacle 5
What siduri @3 said. It's about reaffirming community memory, of the person, and the things the person knew and remembered themselves. It is a loss to the community as a whole, and comments are for defining and confirming the (now-hollow) shape of that person in the community.
Posted by treacle on September 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 6
Can't we keep that Christmas spirit all year 'round?
Posted by Sir Vic on September 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
I remember thinking everyone said nice things at funerals and it almost made the kind things said pointless. Then I went to my great uncle's funeral. He was a total jerk in life. It was the least tearful and most quiet funeral I've ever been to.
Posted by CbytheSea on September 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM · Report this
Aurora Erratic 8
And to think that he missed it by only a few days!
Posted by Aurora Erratic http://www.finemesspottery.com on September 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
biffp 9
Fake
Posted by biffp on September 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM · Report this
biffp 10
Don't assume you'll die and hear good shit about yourself, no one's holding anything back on you. And no one hears Facebook.
Posted by biffp on September 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM · Report this
I'm from the Midwest, so complements just make me squirm anyway. I feel a powerful urge to argue with the person saying nice things about me.
Posted by Orv on September 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 12
When you're dead you hear flutes and tubas, so anything people say is drowned out.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on September 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM · Report this
A girl I used to babysit hung herself Tuesday night. She was a senior in high school, had been admitted to Amherst College in the Arts program, and was going to graduate early. There's already a memorial page for her, and it already has 900 'Likes'. I wish like hell she'd had some sense of this, and it had done some good for her.
Posted by NateMan on September 27, 2012 at 6:03 AM · Report this