But don't read the comments, the comments are the usual internet comments.

Posted by easytarget on September 26, 2012 at 4:45 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 2
No, DO read the comments. There are some gems there.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on September 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this
I wouldn't consider that much of an apology on the OP's part. He didn't acknowledge that policing people's appearances is wrong, that publicly mocking people of non-standard gender presentation is wrong, or that taking pictures of women without their knowledge to share over the internet is fucking creepy.

What did he acknowledge? That it's wrong to mock someone's appearance when that appearance is related to her religion.

Fuck him. You don't need a religious reason to have your appearance safe from mocking. You think he would have apologized if Balpreet showed up identifying herself as trans or genderqueer or just plain disinterested in mainstream beauty standards for her own entirely secular reasons?
Posted by Zuulabelle http://www.mellophant.com on September 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM · Report this
seandr 4
Reminds me of a scene from Liar Liar:

Max: "My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside."
Fletcher: "That's just something ugly people say."
Posted by seandr on September 26, 2012 at 9:33 PM · Report this
I never read internet comments on a lot of typical sites (YouTube, Yahoo, etc), but I've recently encountered two different Reddit threads via Google searches and have been absolutely sucked into the comment sections. I couldn't believe how amazingly informed and insightful some of the comments were. It's probably a fluke, but I was pleasantly surprised and impressed.
Posted by stating the obvious on September 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM · Report this
Lissa 6
@4:Oh. Oh my goodness. The quality of your trolling....it's..breathtaking. The subtlety, the avoidance of the obvious! Your use of one of cinema's classics to illustrate your point! One is reminded of a young Andrew Dice Clay, even. Well done Seandr. Well done indeed.
Posted by Lissa on September 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM · Report this
watchout5 7
This is why I've been hanging out around reddit. Fuck facebook that place sucks
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on September 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM · Report this
I go through phases of killing time on reddit, too... But, that the OP's apology was (very conceivably) a grab at 'internet points' makes it all seem like a silly dog and pony show. Nice to see a clip of it on Slog, and I was moved by this thread (!), but for the BS factor of it all, reddit's not for me. (& fb never has been FWIW.)
Posted by mizmojo on September 27, 2012 at 6:39 AM · Report this
Reminds me of a poem:

" I
Have Learned
So much from God
That I can no longer
Call
Myself

A Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim
A Buddhist, a Jew.

The Truth has shared so much of itself
With me

That I can no longer call myself
A man, a woman, an angel
Or even pure
Soul.

Love has
Befriended Hafiz so completely
It has turned to ash
And freed
Me

Of every concept and image
My mind has ever known.